Here's a place to deposit scraps of information and observations of our US Hawks history.

Forum Features Log

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:14 pm

This forum started out as a plain vanilla PHPBB forum.

But after an early comment from Scott Wise (thanks Scott!!!) about the somewhat plain look, I went searching for something unusual but familiar. I found the X-Silver template and decided to use it on the top level of the forum. I also sifted through dozens and dozens of other templates to use for the various Chapter forums to try to give each one a distinctive look.

Along the way, I've had to do various upgrades to the PHPBB software. One of the things I noticed missing was an easy way to see all the "hot" topics across our various forums. So I did a little research and added the "Hot" button to many of our pages.

I also found that there were some neat features I'd always wanted on other forums (like various levels of indenting, and primitive graphics capabilities). So I added these to the BBCodes for this forum.

Another nice little contribution was donated by Margie's daugher Sonja who drew up the "rolling on the floor laughing" emoticon ( :srofl: ). If you've ever wondered what the "s" was in the "srofl" tag ... it stands for Sonja. Thanks Sonja!!!

More recently I got some prodding from DarthVader about getting YouTube videos on the forum (thanks Al!!). So I recently investigated and added the BBCodes for that as well.

Step by step (and with a lot of help from the community) we're making the US Hawks a better and better forum.

Thanks to everyone!!    :thumbup:   :thumbup:   :thumbup:
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Forum Features Log

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Wed May 15, 2019 11:51 pm

Thanks to some prodding by Rick Masters, we now have https protocol support.

I've also added a direct link to our "Hot topics" page:

http://ushawks.org/forum/hot

This short link should give the same results as pressing the "Hot" button, but the URL is shorter and easier to remember. So it's handy to post in other sites and forums.
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Forum Features Log

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:48 pm

This post is a little late, but on September 15, 2019 I added the ability to embed videos from "vimeo". Frank had been posting a lot of his video footage to Vimeo, so that was my motivation.

The new tag is in the posting bar between "tt" and "vote".

Thanks Frank!    :wave:
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Forum Statistics