know your your rights

A place for discussions that are NOT related to the US Hawks. This area is provided for the convenience of our members, but the US Hawks specifically does not endorse any comments posted in these forums.
Forum rules
Be Polite!!

This forum is for discussions that are NOT related to the US Hawks. This area is provided for the convenience of our members, but the US Hawks specifically does not endorse any comments posted in this forum.

know your your rights

Postby Bill Cummings » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:32 pm

Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Re: know your your rights

Postby Bill Cummings » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:31 am

I was hoping change would not include the following (About legislating more of our rights.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKjy0PDlKV4

I noticed in the post above this one that someone saw a need to remove the link.
I know that it wasn't Bob K.

I do wonder why the truth doesn't stand on its own for ever.
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:39 am

billcummings wrote:I was hoping change would not include the following (About legislating more of our rights.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKjy0PDlKV4

I noticed in the post above this one that someone saw a need to remove the link.
I know that it wasn't Bob K.

You're absolutely correct Bill. I haven't removed any links. But I don't think anyone else can as well. So if something's missing, please let me know. It's always possible that someone has hacked into our forum. That's why I do backups (although not as frequently as I should).

billcummings wrote:I do wonder why the truth doesn't stand on its own for ever.

This is somewhat simplified, of course, but I do believe there are forces of good and evil and they're both pushing against each other trying to move "the line" in the direction of either good or evil. I don't think that struggle ever ends. I think we just push as hard as we can while we're alive and we try to teach the next generation to do the same. Sometimes the line moves for the better, and sometimes for the worse. But it's our job (during our lifetimes) to be committed to pushing as hard as we can afford to push. That's not as satisfying as imagining that we might someday actually conquer the forces of evil, but I think that's all we get in this lifetime.

By the way, I have a visual that I use whenever I think about this analogy. In the college dorms we did a lot of somewhat dumb things, and one of them was to take a mattress, stand it vertically in a long narrow hallway, and have about 3 to 5 guys on each side pushing the mattress against the other side to see which side could move it in their direction. Of course, it wasn't as simple as just moving a line, because sometimes the mattress would get folded over and some of us would be crushed under it. It was very fun, and very exhausting. It's been a good metaphor for the struggle of good and evil during my lifetime.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SamKellner » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:42 pm

:problem: :shifty: :eh:

I didn't remove any link.
Southwest Texas Hang Gliders
US Hawks Hang Gliding Assn.
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:33 pm

I was thinking the NSA or HLS removed it.
Not from here but from Youtube.
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:30 am

Here's what I got when I went to the link you posted at the top of this topic:

YouTube_Missing_Video.png
YouTube_Missing_Video.png (17.59 KiB) Viewed 10427 times

I do believe that our freedom of speech is under attack. I've been presenting slides to the San Diego City Council at their "public" meetings and I've specifically asked that the camera (which broadcasts our City Council meetings to the public) be directed at my slides so the public can see them. Week after week, the City only shows what THEY want the public to see. It's really chilling to watch this happen first-hand.

The only thing George Orwell got wrong in his book "1984" .... was the date.
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:25 pm

Bob k. quote:
“I do believe that our freedom of speech is under attack.
I've been presenting slides to the San Diego City Council at their "public" meetings and I've specifically asked that the camera (which broadcasts our City Council meetings to the public) be directed at my slides so the public can see them. Week after week,
the City only shows what THEY want the public to see. It's really chilling to watch this happen first-hand.”

Bill C. responds,
The way around that problem or to see if it is a purposeful suppression of your first amendment rights, Bob, would be for the next time you present to the council ask the camera tech., again, before hand, to pan to your slides when you indicate. For the most important slide have a big blow up printed on an easel sized cardboard and turn to face the camera at the podium and hold up the blow up in front of the camera.

Also say something to the effect that you have made a blow-up for the people at home to see so that they will know that this is one of the six slides that you wanted the public to see. In the past the camera technician seems to have fallen asleep when the technician had been asked to pan to my slides.

Embarrass the dickens out of that group of crony capitalists.

Say at the podium that you don’t want the viewing public at home to have any part of their council meeting censored due to a camera technicians obvious lack of talent as has been evident in the past council meetings.
Find out the camera tech’s., name. Thank the tech., by name, before your time is up, for showing your six slides to the public at home.
Believe me the public will call in if they think they are not getting the whole picture.
When you have the floor and anyone tries to interrupt you the viewing public will demand to know why.
I figure, If you are being maneuvered at the council meeting ----maneuver them back! They are all your public servants.
Scold them like kids since being polite hasn’t worked.
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:49 am

billcummings wrote:The way around that problem or to see if it is a purposeful suppression of your first amendment rights, Bob, would be for the next time you present to the council ask the camera tech., again, before hand, to pan to your slides when you indicate. For the most important slide have a big blow up printed on an easel sized cardboard and turn to face the camera at the podium and hold up the blow up in front of the camera.

Also say something to the effect that you have made a blow-up for the people at home to see so that they will know that this is one of the six slides that you wanted the public to see. In the past the camera technician seems to have fallen asleep when the technician had been asked to pan to my slides.

Embarrass the dickens out of that group of crony capitalists.

Say at the podium that you don’t want the viewing public at home to have any part of their council meeting censored due to a camera technicians obvious lack of talent as has been evident in the past council meetings.
Find out the camera tech’s., name. Thank the tech., by name, before your time is up, for showing your six slides to the public at home.
Believe me the public will call in if they think they are not getting the whole picture.
When you have the floor and anyone tries to interrupt you the viewing public will demand to know why.
I figure, If you are being maneuvered at the council meeting ----maneuver them back! They are all your public servants.
Scold them like kids since being polite hasn’t worked.

I agree with everything you've said Bill. In the San Diego City Council, the cameras are all remote controlled. So someone is sitting in a room somewhere deciding which camera to select when putting together the video for the public web site. They may actually have captured footage of all of them or they may only be recording from the "active" camera at any time - I don't know. But what I do know is that I have both called in advance to make my request, AND I have often asked right as I begin speaking to have the camera move to my slides (and I sometimes do BOTH). I think this next time, I am going to speak specifically to this issue. I may preface my speech by telling the folks "out there in TV land" that if they are not seeing my slides at ANY TIME, then they can be assured that the City of San Diego is intentionally suppressing that information.

I don't know if it will work, but if it doesn't, I WILL go with your poster idea as the next step!!!

Thanks Bill. You should come spend your winter in San Diego. We'd have a good old time fixing both Torrey Pines ... and the CITY OF SAN DIEGO!!!    :thumbup:
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:22 pm

I hope I put up the correct link--
Anyway it's the NDAA plus more needed safety for us. :roll:
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:08 pm

billcummings wrote:Embarrass the dickens out of that group of crony capitalists.

I think your approach worked Bill!! I stood at the podium and said to the viewing public that if they saw anything BUT my slides, then someone was trying to cover something up. See the result for yourself:

Thanks to Margie, by the way, for all the work she does putting those videos on YouTube so you don't have to hunt through a 2 hour Council meeting to find my 3 minutes about the Gliderport.   
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Free Speech Zone / Off-Mission Discussions