Don't mess with Tx. chickens viewer discretion advised

Forum for SW Texas Hang Gliders Club - Southwest Texas

Don't mess with Tx. chickens viewer discretion advised

Postby SamKellner » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:14 pm

We've had a hawk after the chickens for a week or so. The chickens were all in the thicket west of the grape arbor, hiding and making danger/alarm sounds.
I was outside and had the 20ga with #4 shot. I walked up near the grape arbor and after standing there ~5minutes, I saw the hawk sitting on the ground amongst some weeds, not 15ft in front of me.
I got a shot off but the dust flew and the hawk was a split second ahead of me. He got away!

This afternoon I was working on the RV area outback near the hen house. I heard a loud squalking commotion around in front of the house. I picked up the 20ga. and ran around the house, with the hammer cocked, thinking the hawk would be on top of a chicken.
What a surprise. The chicken was on top, the hawk was dazed. The hen was after his eyes. He was a goner. :wtf:
The hen has two weekold chicks. The hawk got a third chick a couple of days ago.
We have named the hen Red Revenge!
Attachments
DSCN2140.JPG
DSCN2140.JPG (86.51 KiB) Viewed 5029 times
DSCN2142.JPG
DSCN2142.JPG (92.57 KiB) Viewed 5029 times
DSCN2141.JPG
DSCN2141.JPG (91.19 KiB) Viewed 5029 times
Southwest Texas Hang Gliders
US Hawks Hang Gliding Assn.
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Don't mess with Tx. chickens viewer discretion advised

Postby majiemae » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:29 am

Wow - hey, it just goes to show - you don't mess with a grieving mama (chicken or otherwise).

She sure showed that bully what for! :clap:

Horray for Texas Chickens!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
majiemae
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:33 pm

majiemae, Yup partner! Even the Texas chickens aren't ----chicken---I mean--- :? (that didn't come out right.) :? oops :thumbdown:
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SamKellner » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:07 pm

About migratory birds:

These are ferol chickens that migrated over here on this side of the Hwy, ~5yr ago, after some guy moved off, turned out his fighting roosters and brood hens.
We close up the henhouse every night for the ones that will go in. Many still roost in the trees. < half of the hens lay in the laying boxes. Most lay out in the brush and attempt to hatch a clutch. Usually these are unsuccessful with the coons, skunks, and possums raiding the nest.

We have watered down the fighting blood line with a leghorn rooster. Some eggs are green and some brown.

Still, the hens have a beek more like a hawk, spurs and fighting ability. They also really fly better than most chickens. When the first chick was taken by the hawk, the hen chased the hawk, in the air, for a surprising distance.

We donate the young roosters to feed needy families.

:wave: ,
Sam
Southwest Texas Hang Gliders
US Hawks Hang Gliding Assn.
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:33 pm

You both rock Sam :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Edit: Oh by the way I got 40 minutes off of Dry Canyon today. High pressure and really tight thermals. Mike Ellsworth got a hour and Robin Hastings go 17 minutes. Tough staying in the air.
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Return to SW Texas Hang Gliders Forum