missing release

Forum for SW Texas Hang Gliders Club - Southwest Texas

Re: missing release

Postby SamKellner » Fri May 13, 2011 9:24 pm

Zack, Tad, :wave:

I think the line that failed on my release is the same size as your last loop that engages the tow line on Zack's release.

I'm thinking that two knots came untied with the increased forces/tension.
............................................................................................................
My Barnyard Theory Trade secret??

On -windy- days while on tow, the rope is at ~45* angle. When the vehicle slows or even stops, and you are still climbing, flight path has to be in an arc.

At the top of the tow/arc, if the spool is not turning, and you are still climbing, at some point you will be climbing/flying farther away from the vehicle/winch. Like going into orbit.

That would cause a spike in line tension. But then why won't the winch spool out? Unless the brake pressure has been increased to "slingshot" or "top off".
..........................................................................................................

Yes, other than my theory, lots of good info here. Thanks :thumbup:
Southwest Texas Hang Gliders
US Hawks Hang Gliding Assn.
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Mon May 16, 2011 1:13 pm

TadEareckson wrote:Bob,

bobk
2011/05/13 13:13:54 UTC

Cutting it a bit close aren't you? 41 seconds earlier and you coulda brought the apocalypse down on all of our heads.

I guess that's why there are only 12 months in a year. Imagine 13/13/13 at 13:13:13. :shock:
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SamKellner » Wed May 18, 2011 8:21 pm

Yes, I'm gonna replace the 205, and tie at bridle with one knot.

~45* tow line angle is optimum. This doesn't happen if you are pulled in.

Not trying to predict anything, just relaying what happened during my flight that led to the tow force Zack mentioned.

Yes, I did exit the arc and increase the distance from the vehicle. When the weak link broke. Where did the tow force come from that broke the weaklink?

Like Zack said, breezy days.
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ZackC » Thu May 19, 2011 8:09 pm

Thanks Tad, the train analogy makes a lot more sense to me.

Zack
ZackC
Contributor
Contributor

Postby DarthVader » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:08 am

"don't think that people get put out of control, crashed, hurt, and killed in aviation as consequence of shitt happening."

Yes, Tad, Déjà vu.

Like it has happen to you as well Tad. You were not there when Martin Launched from Pack. So you can only imagine as you always do, if he did a hang check or not. You are never there Tad. The only ones that get the most flight in this area is Zack and Martin.

Still Like you anyway Tad, because "Half the lies they tell about you aren't true."
DarthVader
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Birren » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:59 am

by TadEareckson » Fri May 13, 2011

Idiots who deliberately advise configurations which auto release at high pitch attitudes to protect against lockouts - like Peter Birren - should be shot two or three times to make sure.

What Donnell and Peter Birren never seemed to have figured out is that the best release mechanism in the world can be totally useless if you can't actuate it when you need to.

If you're gonna use a three-string, rig it so you can actuate it with either hand without having to look for anything within about a second of making the decision.[/quote]

Coward Tad. Big talker. No brains. No comprehensive ability. Still spouting the same blind, ignorant crap.

Ignorant coward, you haven't got a clue about reality. Still not taking your meds?

Peter Birren
- Peter
http://www.birrendesign.com/linknife.html - Linknife Tow Release
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx1_R8nYDrU - Static Tow Launch and crappy landing
http://www.birrendesign.com/astro.html - Objects in the Heavens - deep-sky fieldbook
Birren
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SamKellner » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:07 pm

Thanks Peter, :wave:

Also for all your contributions to the sport. :clap:

Please continue posting here at US Hawks.
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to SW Texas Hang Gliders Forum