Sign in, say "hi", ... and be welcomed.

Re: Brand New Hanglider

Postby SamKellner » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:39 pm

Welcome Colin, :salute:
to US Hawks Hang Gliding Assn.

aerial vehicle operator ?

Dockweiler is the premier instruction flying site. The best of the instructors!

Good Luck and thanks for your post.

Just say, glider pilot.

:wave:
Sam
Southwest Texas Hang Gliders
US Hawks Hang Gliding Assn.
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:38 am

Hi Colin,
My dad was in the Air Force. He was an instructor on 24s and 29s in Pensacola. His squadron raided Polesti.
I gave a talk to the China Lake commander and his pilots back in the early 80s on our XC flight routes up the Owens MOA . He told his guys not to try HG. A few years later, one of his top test pilots killed himself in a Mitchell Wing. Once you're ten feet off the ground, I guess it doesn't matter much what you're flying...
In the later 80s, my job was fuel delivery to the Tonopah base. Can't say much about that! But I felt the USAF was the biggest adventure around. Next to hang gliding. ;)
https://web.archive.org/web/20110718085120/http://www.cometclones.com/RMflightlog.htm
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:58 am

Welcome Colin!!

Here's a picture of your first hang gliding flight:

Colins_First_HG_Flight.jpeg
Colins_First_HG_Flight.jpeg (67.77 KiB) Viewed 12321 times

Welcome to the greatest sport in the world!!    :thumbup:
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:13 am

Welcome Colin !

Consider micro hang gliding in parallel with your adventure : )

==========================
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_operations_area MOA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consolida ... _Liberator B-24 Liberator
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_B-29_Superfortress B-29 Superfortress

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby BigBird » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:43 am

Welcome Colin!!!

First, I'd like to thank you for your service to our Country!!!
There are many who belong to the Hawks who picked up a hang glider decades ago and have never put it down!!! Enjoy every aspect and level of your adventures in the sport. Soaring like a bird (and with the birds) in the purest form of flight can be life changing and rewarding beyond words!!!

Enjoy!!

Phil
BigBird
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:42 pm

Welcome Colin! :clap: :salute:

I've recently returned to hang gliding after having flown HG's through most of the 1970's and now having a ball at Dockweiler. Wish I was 26 again!

Frank Colver
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:34 pm

Colin,
If you can get back to Doc again (I forgot how to spell Docwieler) for more runs down the beach do so.

Smooth air coming in over large bodies of water is absolutely among some of the best training winds to be found.

Inland wind with associated turbulence and gradient will have a starting hang gliding pilot wondering, °°what did I do wrong?°° All the while saying, “#%!&%^%$#!” And all the while, except for the turbulence, you were doing everything correctly.
Learn in near perfect conditions and later add the spice.
Yup, Frank is right, most of us old timers are wishing we had done more flying instead of so much participation in dreams of someone else. :shh:
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Coliente » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:13 pm

I am also a huge WWII history fan! My Grandfather who really got me into the Air Force flew B-25's, 29's, C-47s, and a variety of other aircraft between WWII in the south Pacific (Tarawa) and Korea. My personal favorite is the B-17, which I make sure to find at whatever airshow I visit! I've been to China Lake before, and maybe one day if I am lucky I'll make it over to Tonopah!

I've spent most of my life playing around with flight simulators, RC aircraft at times, and model rockets. As Bob knows I am a mechanical engineer by trade, so a lot of the mechanics of flight, flight control systems, and fluid mechanics are already in my mind...now I just have to put them into practice. On a similar note I got to visit NASA Armstrong Flight Research Center last year through a work contact and flew around for a while on their F-18 flight simulator. I did a great job landing the aircraft in turbulent wind even though the air brakes weren't working on that particular simulation...but it was at 400 knots. Which I reckon is more than double its max landing speed. So I guess is depends on your definition of "landing".

Thank you all very much for the great words and advice for a newcomer like me! I hope one of these days I'll get to fly with you with a HG of my own!

And thank you Bob for the picture of my first flight!

Colin
Coliente
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Hello US Hawks!!

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:38 pm

Thanks Colin.

I still need to get you the video from your first flights. Also, please let me know when you make plans with John because I'd like to be there to take more pictures. It's really great to watch a new pilot progress through their first high flights!!

Until then, here are some stills taken from your first day at Dockweiler:

cff001.JPG
cff001.JPG (89.65 KiB) Viewed 12266 times

cff002.jpeg
cff002.jpeg (63.93 KiB) Viewed 12266 times

cff003.jpeg
cff003.jpeg (67.77 KiB) Viewed 12266 times

cff004.jpeg
cff004.jpeg (53.72 KiB) Viewed 12266 times

cff005.jpeg
cff005.jpeg (42.94 KiB) Viewed 12266 times

cff006.jpeg
cff006.jpeg (44.14 KiB) Viewed 12266 times

I just noticed in those last few photos that the footprint pattern will show two sets of feet running along together, then turning to just one set of feet, and then returning to two sets. I can't help being reminded of the famous "Footprints" poem. Maybe it was inspired by early hang gliding training sessions? ;)

Welcome again Colin, and please feel free to chime in on existing topics or start new topics if you have any questions about your training or the sport in general. There are literally hundreds of years of flying experience behind the folks who've posted in this topic, and we're all happy to help.
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Hello US Hawks!!

Postby jimmyD » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:46 pm

Hello to the US Hawks from Jim Delear, from Sylmar ,CA. I have been a USHGA member since the 80's. I have flown at many places over the years, but now mostly Sylmar the local spot. I just discovered the US Hawks website a few days ago, looking for answers to the insurance fiasco at Dockwiler and now USHPA.
jimmyD
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics