Flying XC Question

This subforum provides a place where new users can post immediately while protecting the rest of the forum from automated posting (spam). Posts here will eventually be moved to a proper location in the forum.
Forum rules
This subforum provides a place where new users can post immediately while protecting the rest of the forum from automated posting (spam).

If you have just registered (but are not yet approved) and would like to post to some other location in the forum, then please post here using the following rules:

1. Enter a title for your post that would be appropriate for your intended destination.
  2. Use the first line of your post to specify the subforum and topic where you want your post to go. Prefix this with the phrase "New Topic" if you want to start a new topic in that subforum.
  3. Enter the rest of your post as you would like it to appear.

The moderator will review posts to this forum and move them to the desired location when approved. The first line indicating the desired location will be removed so your post ends up looking like a normal post. You will normally be added as an approved user at that time (if not sooner).

Flying XC Question

Postby Chris McKeon » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:09 pm

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding Flying XC? As in covering as much Terra Firma as possible in the least amount of time Time.

When I used to fly XC I tended to cover ground fairly quickly. I did Fly XC using Speeds to Fly By. Heck I flew a Predator! I always simply relied on My Gliders great ability to be able to climb in the weakest Thermals, then upon topping out at the top of Said Thermal. I would simply pull in on the Bar. Yes maybe I flew too fast between Thermals. Maybe I would have been able to cover more ground on a given Day of flying XC if I had resisted the temptation to stuff the Bar. So what do You Guys think? Do not take Me wrong Flying My Predator the way I Flew it caused it to Fly Far on a Given Day of Flying. But then Flying far was the name of My Predators Game.

OFF Topic. If anyone here knows Paris William's. Would You Please ask Him to Call Me? Chris McKeon 925-497-1059
Chris McKeon
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Flying XC Question

Postby Bill Cummings » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:46 pm

Back in ‘95 during the Chelan Nationals I wasn’t too fond of
open distance downwind speed runs. Or 90 miles XC to Davenport
WA airport. We would be getting back around midnight and still had
to resupply, jump in the lake to wash the dust and sweat off, and get
a few hours of sleep to be up in time for the next days pilot meeting.
Out and back or triangle courses were way more fun.
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Return to New Users Forum