Sign in, say "hi", ... and be welcomed.

Re: Hello US Hawks!!

Postby Ground Slammer » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:11 pm

Hello from Ground Slammer. I've been in and out of hang gliding from the early 70's when I was a Kid. My instructor was----well nobody, and I've got the bamboo splinters under the skin to prove it. I pioneered a few sites, built and flew a few wings, got mentored by the likes of Chuck Slusarczyk and on building Ronny Richards. I now live in Humboldt CA and stopped flying last because it is too dangerous around here. I claim the unofficial record for hooking a thermal at the lowest altitude-bottom of the bunny hill with feet on ground-beat that! :lol: Right now I'm working on a project to see if I can make a modified Quicksilver sail-one that will allow me to homologate the Fledge II airfoil. The resultant glider is: Est L/D 14 to 1, ( AR 8), est sink under 120. The HG will be the core of a tow Ultralight Glider that I'll then attempt to make an electric self launch, self recovering motor glider. I look forward to the likes of Frank C, Joe F and the rest of you reviewing my engineering changes and challenges. Out of time for now -GS
Ground Slammer
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SamKellner » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:06 pm

Welcome Ground Slammer

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:wave:
Southwest Texas Hang Gliders
US Hawks Hang Gliding Assn.
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:19 pm

Welcome Ground Slammer!

I look forward to reports on your project. :thumbup: :clap: 8-)

Frank Colver
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:07 pm

Welcome Ground Slammer,
Here with permission, is a PM reply that should be posted for all to see
I'm an old schooler-ground skimming is the never fly higher than you care to fall school of recreational fun. Ground slamming is the comix parody ( and what was actually happening until you "got it")- there was even a Ground Slammer mag parody.

Oh the good old days! I haven't seen a sweaty pilot in just cut off's coated is sand like a piece of breaded chicken in too long. I remember my last ground slamming session-a old Flex i-Flyer I literally dug up out of the sands at Torry Pines-I equipped it with a poly tarp sail and set an unofficial word record with it. I was at the bottom of the bunny hill doing my first practice run, got sucked off the ground by a passing thermal and carried off. The thing was so out of trim it had two speeds, minimum sink and stall. The film of my climb out angle is awesome- I struggled to get out of the lift and dump it into some bushes. Some one recently asked " what is the lowest height you hooked a thermal from?" Some body is going to have to hook a thermal from a hole in the ground to beat me! Post this if you like.

:thumbup: :clap:
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:31 am

Aw....memories. I learned to fly in my Skysail (see profile image). I've said many times it would be like learning to drive in a hot Italian racing sports car. I can still remember a milestone in my learning to hang glide - it was a Sunday evening, driving home from a training hill. I suddenly realized that I had been out flying my wing and I didn't hurt anywhere! No bleeding cuts, no bruises, no sprains, a true milestone.

My Skysail hit the ground hard so many times that by the time I could actually fly, it was almost not airworthy anymore. It finally met its end in the flaming San Diego Aerospace Museum.

Been there, done that - welcome Ground Slammer.

Frank Colver

BTW - If you want to see sweaty pilots in shorts and covered with sand, join us at Dockweiler Beach for an afternoon of hang gliding like it used to be (but with much better flying hang gliders).
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Ground Slammer » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:31 am

Frank make it sweaty and string bikini's and I'll put it on my calender :clap: maybe we could hold it at Blacks Beach :clap: :clap: :clap: From one graduate of The Crash and Cruz School of Hang Gliding to an other :salute:
Ground Slammer
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:11 am

Welcome Ground Slammer!!

I really enjoy flying at Torrey, but when we fly at Dockweiler, we're right on the beach ... not 300 feet above it. It's great for interacting with the public on every flight.

But both are great sites. We're very lucky here in southern California.

Welcome to the US Hawks!!      :clap: :thumbup:
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:38 am

Welcome Ground Slammer,
Chuck Slusarczyk radiated to his mentees "the right stuff" ... honorable ways and means.
Looking forward to your explorations.
Joe Faust
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:49 pm

Here you go Ground Slammer - life at the beach.

My 2nd flight beginning for my new Condor 330. Bob & Joe already had several by this time.

Frank

2nd flight 1.jpg
2nd flight 1.jpg (197.94 KiB) Viewed 7600 times
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SamKellner » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:47 pm

Welcome Bill McGinnis !

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:wave: