Contributor
Contributor

Re: Wing Running (WR)

Postby JoeF » Fri May 10, 2013 1:02 pm

Wing-runner project:
Hang Glider Project

Their caption:
Published on Apr 23, 2012
2012 RnD Project - Team Sci3nce R00lz constructs a homemade hang glider out of pvc pipe.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:21 pm

BobK wrote:By the way, your wing running concept might benefit from a "Wing Running Meet" to bring people together for an event.

Otto Lilienthal's birthday is coming up again ... what do you think?

On wing running
From all past observed accidents, I'm convinced that wing running without safe-splat (safe after stumbling, etc.) can be extremely damaging to people. Broken hands, necks, arms ... Ouch! Upon trip or stumble, I am aiming for sliding, rolling ... while body is held by tension and also limited from forward swinging. Rapid stopping is part of the huge challenge. Gouging of small wheels is a challenge.
What could be interesting in wing running on level ground? Safety at stumble could be interesting. Then sprints could remain safe. Pitch-down of wing rapidly in sprint is challenging; in such instance, one would want safe results. Races then could be interesting.
On level ground: Injury loses. Long jumps with wing assistance might be interesting. Take-off line defined and then see where splat occurs without injury; measure the distance. Or run and have time in air (without thermal) in relatively calm wind.
Endurance? Distance wing running?

What would amount to a wing runner's "wing" ? Would there be a minimum area relative to empty weight?

There are wing runners using canopy wings kited ... to give resistance training to muscles in preparation to run conventional track and field events.
Flying over a set high jump bar? Wing run and then clear the bar or elastic string?

My gut feel is that we need to prove some Safe-Splat designs that show well safety upon stumbles in sprints. I would like to get logged 1000 wing runs with lots of stumbles ... and no tissue tears.

I am rusty on how to have "organized assemblies" without the organizing agent taking on liabilities. :problem:

And I do not want to be prohibited from parks. Organized assemblies are far different from spontaneous individual recreation activities. I do not want to see signs posted on public parks: "No wing running allowed." People running in parks already are actually carrying tiny wings (their hats, their shirts, etc. are tiny wings).

Informal social exchanges like: "Some guys and gals will be wing running at _________________ on __________________" will end up having more than one wing-runner sometimes. :!:

Training muscles and nerves for wing running takes time. Progressing toward sprint speed and good endurance without obtaining physical injury will take time. With Joy Frame, one may start with small wings and work up to larger wings.

When strength, speed, and endurance is obtained, one may look to some shallow inclined streets or soil places. Judging winds and effect of incline will be added parameters. Ground-skim with Safe-Splat Joy Frame will result in longer ground-effect skimming glides. Pitch should be mastered; one will not want to flip over backwards, etc. Again, large training cycles would be a possible chosen goal. Health and Fitness. No tissue tearing.

When wing running is shown to be fun and safe, I trust that someone will move things to organized meets. I will stay developing the Safe-Splat part of wing running. And if some future meet requires me to have insurance, then I would not attend. I do not carry insurance to run and walk in the park while I run with wings now; this will be continued for me. Others might get involved in insurance, etc.

Otto L. had a strong "jump" text.
The wing-running tradition without Safe-Splat has been a long-term discouraging tissue-tear "crashery". Differently, the positive Safe-Splat era will see high-energy wing running for itself as well for ground-effect flying and hang gliding. There will be special calm-air adventures with wing when Safe-Splat sprint wing running is well known.
Best,
JoeF

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:04 pm

Considerable focus on wing running is embedded in this video:

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wingspan33 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:33 pm

That video location looked familiar. Then I realized it was my old LZ in Ellenville, NY. The vid was produced by Ryan Voight - a one time friend. It is well done I'd have to say.
wingspan33
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Sat May 02, 2015 11:50 am

The wing runner is running on beach sand. The wing being used is lifting in many directions at once in a near-chaotic manner with a net experience of resistance to the run. One primary use of the shown system is to give the runner high exercise. There is very little potential of gliding much unless the runner ran over a berm; the shown wing would not give a noticed glide angle. In a super wind, the wind could drag the runner and injure the runner's body.

The activity of "parachute running" with very low L/D wings is illustrated some in the following video:

One may also consider using parafoil kites or other kite wings for similar exercise.
The instructor cautions wing runners to warm up the body before doing a launch into speed training.

PGs and kite HGs do wing running often in launching efforts and landing efforts.
Here is a wing running where the wing is an evolute of the Jalbert parafoil wing; the many kite lines are attached to the system's anchor: the PG operator. Exampled is a forward running launch where the kiting occurs.
Disclaimer: This is not a recommendation to do PG over broad spectrum of wind conditions.

Wing-assisted incline running

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Fri May 22, 2015 2:31 pm

When you're watching "Big Blue Sky" keep a sharp eye out for a brief shot of me "wing running" my Skysail on the flat beach at either Torrance or Dockweiler, not sure which. My son Matt called it "comic relief", he thought it was silly. I explained to him that it was a perfectly normal part of learning the technique for ground handling and launch with that very different (at that time) glider. Those other videos shown in this "Wing Running" topic thread back me up. Thanks for this Joe. 8-)

I haven't watched the documentary recently so I don't remember if the wing had the original triangle bar or if I had already converted it to parallel bars when that footage was shot. It was much easier to handle and launch with parallel bars.

Wish I had that clip.

Frank Colver
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:37 pm

Wing running in no wind on a slope with hang gliding resultant:

Notice the final "Lift and Tug" habit, not staged, for clearing the "Never Hooked In" final action:

And with only moderate Safe-Splat in 1982:
Learning to Hang Glide - Ed Levin Park (1982)

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:07 pm

Dennis Pagen nod to wing running:
PagenOnWR2008HyPerfHG.JPG
PagenOnWR2008HyPerfHG.JPG (23.94 KiB) Viewed 7147 times

I would modify the suggestion. Exercise on a day as said. Then again on another day as written. Then again on yet another day as written. Etc. Go for three days a week for six consecutive weeks. Build second sense. Train nerves. Train muscles. Train spatial awareness. It takes six weeks for firming the coordinated nerve-muscle patterns. Our bodies need rest and recovery while training complex motions. Consider what it takes to master ice skating, gymnastics, running, etc. What is needed is not done in one session! Strength, endurance! Assure capability. Advance intensity gradually. Advance speed of wing run. Stay in control of pitch. Consider Safe-Splat for all wing running training.

Know your flat-ground headwind well. Over the weeks of training log the headwind on wing runs. Assuming you have cared for the safe-splat environment for efforts, notice results of efforts at each headwind. How close to calm headwind can you get for significant wing runs? How flat is the ground; note that parameter also. Note the texture of the ground. And your shoes? Are you ready for long flights on the flat? Think long jumpers, but be a long glider on the flat. At Dockweiler, consider placing a taut sheet over the dry sand and run into the headwind there; stay aside of the flight LZ with the wing runs.

The WRs on flat obtaining gliding to safe-splat is a form of human-powered flight. Holding AoA just so and getting excess airspeed by staying in contact with the ground for pushing forward may give one a chance to climb and still enter a safe glide (avoid stalling pop-ups on high-performance wings, as parachutals won't be the same as for floaters).

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics