Sign in, say "hi", ... and be welcomed.

Re: Triangle Control Frame or A-Frame

Postby Rick Masters » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:44 pm

30 mph and gusting? OMG... :wtf:

That's how you recognize the pioneers.
They're the ones with the arrows in them that the buzzards are eating by the side of the road.
I was lucky. Real lucky.
I'd stopped in Bishop and asked Bill Dodson to come up and fly the spectacular wave with me.
He said, "Nah, I don't want to see you die."
The flip side was I couldn't come down.
I spiral dived that 10-meter Seagul clone into night to keep from being sucked up to where I couldn't breathe.
The stars came out.
I couldn't get below 10,000 feet!
I was exhausted.
Don Partridge told me later, condescendingly, with a wry smile, "All you had to do was fly out toward the Sierra and lose the lift."
I didn't know. I was a dummy. I thought wave lift was everywhere.
I landed under the stars at Don's Ranch in the headlights of my old Scout, thanks to Tim, my driver.
Last edited by Rick Masters on Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby brianscharp » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:59 pm

reluctantsparrow wrote:...could become a sort of "split tail dragger design" if the bend was aft far enough....wheels in the front....the rounded ends of the flybar have now become the tail skids...firmly attacned to base tube...very little stress on DT's....bulky but doable...

Nice.
brianscharp
Contributor
Contributor

Postby reluctantsparrow » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:40 am

okay, Frank and Rick....you two gave me a lot to think about....I have not come close to catching those handles on anything but I plan to get a bit more radical in the air and "catching" one of those handles has reared it's ugly head as a potential death trap.....didn't sleep too good last night...woke up with the answer this morning....you guys are going to love this....
The rear portion of those handles already hover about one inch away from the rear flying wires.......rotate them outward just a tad more and they will be TOUCHING the rear flying wires...then cut the handles so they actually butt up to the rear flying wires.....then....replace the "tape on the handle" with "loop" Velcro...nice and soft...easy to hang onto...but then...sew some "hook" Velcro onto one side of a 1 1/2 inch wide by eight inch long piece of webbing....Attach four inches of it along the "handle" lengthwise....wrap it around the rear flying wire and attach to the other side of the "handle".....there...done....NOTHING to snag on.....a closed system....the rear flying wire/rear handle junction is completely closed off....nothing can get between them....Snag problem solved...thanks guys....this might be the second time on this thread your concerns may have saved my bacon... :D
reluctantsparrow
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:04 am

Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby reluctantsparrow » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:37 am

My apologies to Joe F. for hijacking this thread....the input has certainly been valuable ..but now the "flybar" is scattered between the "safe splat" and the "Triangle" threads...hmmm...Anyway..here is an update...I did not mention the Hawks in my update but check my first entry in the "comments" section....credit should be given where credit is due :salute:
reluctantsparrow
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:30 pm

I like your solution by making it a closed system. :thumbup:

I mentioned whitewater rafting in an earlier post. I have spent a lot of time, over the many years, making sure that a foot can't get caught anywhere in my various rowing frames, if I get thrown from the boat or if I flip. Definitely, any loose ropes or straps are bad news in that sport.

BTW - With your base tube now lower than the center of your wheels it would seem to me that you wouldn't be able to clear bumpy terrain in a wheel landing. Are you going to put larger diameter wheels on it now?

Frank
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby reluctantsparrow » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:44 am

Frank, in the middle of this music video I made our of sheer boredom there is a good clip of the "roll in landing" I am doing with the FlyBar.....Why am I bored? IT WILL NOT STOP RAINING here in the NW.
late...reluctant and drenched sparrow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olW8rpK ... e=youtu.be
reluctantsparrow
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:53 am

LZ looks pretty smooth there.

F
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor