Sign in, say "hi", ... and be welcomed.

Re: Found slides

Postby JoeF » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:33 pm

Team Search,
Are you responding to the search for ID for my question or some other wing?
As to the wing I asked about above, notice the upper vertical fin or vertical stabilizer: it is above the wing, not below.

Jonathan Dietch said the wing was not one of his; he invited me to ask Floyd Fronius. Floyd did not know. Floyd directed me to ask Mario. Mario, an expert over Aolus; Mario noted the subject wing was not an Aolus and not a Sea-Lander.

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 8:49 PM, Mario & Brenda Miralles <mariobrenda@icloud.com> wrote:
Hi Joe,
That isn't an Aolus or any prototype. At first I thought it might be one of Mike Sandlin's experiments, but now think it
is probably someone else's. Interesting to note that it looks like the person took an existing wing and spread it apart
to get the wider nose angle, add the middle splice and tail, and make it a bowsprit.
I'd ask Mike if he knows.
Do you have a year for this picture?
Best,
Mario

Mario & Brenda Miralles
2:45 PM (3 hours ago)

Joe,
Btw, it is definitely not a Sea-lander for the reasons I mentioned before. Odd name for a h g as
we generally want to avoid landing in the sea! Still I think it looks like a home built, although there were many
copies made around the world of the Aolus, and others, like Dietch, came up with the idea because
of natural evolution of the hang glider as it delt with the earlier divergent designs.

Mario

Mike Sandlin,
What say you?
TIA,
Joe
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ARP » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:13 am

Joe,

You will note the Sea-Lander was only a suggested contender as it may not have had the dorsal fin extension. I flew my Southdown Sigma bow sprit trike with a friend who had the Sea-Lander wing on a Hiway trike in the 80's. Some video of it exists but might take a while to find it. Looking for pictures of the Sea-Lander but none show if it had the dorsal fin. http://www.british-hang-gliding-museum. ... r_200.html

What were Mario's reasons "it is definitely not a Sea-lander for the reasons I mentioned before." ?
Last edited by ARP on Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
ARP
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ARP » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:40 am

The McBroom Cobra from 1975 introduced an extended tail section to the sail. No doubt other manufacturers were working on similar lines:- http://www.british-hang-gliding-history ... cobra.html
ARP
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:57 am

ARP wrote:What were Mario's reasons?
Mario wrote:"it is definitely not a Sea-lander for the reasons I mentioned before."

Tony,
I posted all of Mario's responses to me on the matter. Apparently (see the first quote by Mario) his explaining things as he did, forms the "reasons" that he applies.
Granted, more analysis on the matter is possible. Mario might post here or not, not sure; he was given the link to this discussion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_fin :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorsal_fin :)
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ARP » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:46 am

Joe,

Mario's "reasons" seem more like assumptions. It may well be an existing glider modified but from the limited detail in the picture I cannot see how that assumption can be arrived at?
ARP
Contributor
Contributor

Postby brianscharp » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:30 pm

I don't ever recall seeing a bowsprit with the inboard ribs or battens not parallel to the keel.
brianscharp
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ARP » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:28 am

Brian:- "I don't ever recall seeing a bowsprit with the inboard ribs or battens not parallel to the keel." That might be Mario's reasoning as well, hence his conclusion. The sail is customised with white spots on top and white tips as well as the white centre section, so considerable alteration has occurred if it is not "as built".
ARP
Contributor
Contributor

Previous
Forum Statistics