Sign in, say "hi", ... and be welcomed.

June 6,1944 a time to remember

Postby Frank Colver » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:52 am

Today is the day i think of the thousands of our men who, 74 years ago, saw the sunrise but never got to see the sunset. To their memory each year, on June 6th, I get to watch the sunset and if conditions are right, play taps on one of my Native American style flutes.

May we never forget them and what they fought and died for. :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

Frank
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Re: June 6,1944 a time to remember

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:29 am

Frank Colver wrote:Today is the day i think of the thousands of our men who, 74 years ago, saw the sunrise but never got to see the sunset.   ...   May we never forget them and what they fought and died for. :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

Perfectly said.    :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Re: June 6,1944 a time to remember

Postby wingspan33 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:14 pm

My father was in the Navy at the time but was lucky enough to be getting a college education (paid for by the Navy), heading toward an officer's position. Dad was no privileged rich kid. His father worked at a local road department. But good genes made him smart and he passed with a high score on the Navy's entrance exam. Otherwise he may have also been storming the beaches (and I might not be typing this).

Beyond that, I've gotten the best/worst impression of D Day while watching the beginning of "Saving Private Ryan". I'm certain that even a very well done film can't do justice to actually being there. Surviving 6/6/44 took more luck (I think) than skill. But skill should never be discounted.

Finally -

Thinking about this topic earlier today, I thought about how many friends I never met or had because the men who would been their fathers never made it back from D Day/WWII. How different so many peoples' lives would have been. :( :?:
wingspan33
Contributor
Contributor

Forum Statistics