The Hang Gliding Historical Committee is tasked with preserving and celebrating the rich history of hang gliding.

Self-Soar Association (S-SA)

Postby JoeF » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:03 pm

Self-Soar Association (S-SA)

Regarding extended uses of the S-SA logo, a note of April 23, 2015, partly abridged and slightly edited:

S-SA office wrote:Thank you for your inquiry on my Self-Soar Association logo.
And your interest. We had the logo on tee-shirts early in the 1970s
and use the logo to continue spots for Self-Soar Association both
for USA and international markets. Since Self-Soar Association
is still active with universal Otto Memberships for hang gliding
we still watch carefully where and how the logo is used. The association logo was integrated in various ways, one of which was to help spell the "L" in relation to the
Low & Slow magazine and booklet series. The logo expressed that Otto members were integrating with the wind very personally for flight; the globe indicated universal or international reach. The logo may only be used on to-be-sold products with direct permission from me.

Hang gliding in the USA is at an important turning point. Some key lessons have been learned. Paragliding shows no sign of overcoming the PDMC and inland-flight addiction. Today is a marking of the 1,305th paragliding fatality known. It has become for some of us unconscionable to support paragliding in any way as a public recreation sport; such forms a path of real and solid separation of the Otto Membership and Self-Soar Association from any support for paragliding public sport. For such reason, the logo of Self-Soar Association may not become a tee-shirt art for present entities' for-sale products that promote paragliding use.

Our first official historian Neil Larson is being CC my reply, sans body of your note to me. Neil remains active in the hang glider world contributing art, spirit, and community; he just did a poster for the May 23, 2015, Otto Meet at Dockweiler. He is part of the art department of Self-Soar Association. The business owner that I commissioned for the logo has passed; Neil is in contact with that business-owner's widow and adult children. A tertiary artist was hired by that business owner to do the art for the logo for Self-Soar Association. I had permitted Christopher Talbot-Jones to do his run of T-shirts with the subject logo. We use the logo on the S-SA membership cards and elsewhere.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Self-Soar Association (S-SA)

Postby JoeF » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:55 pm

Permit given to Martin A. Palmaz

Self-Soar Association extends a permit to Martin A. Palmaz
to imprint on up to 26 tee shirts the logo of Self-Soar Association,
if and only if the imprinted shirts are not sold and are not advertised
in any publication as available in the first giving level. The imprinted shirts, for example,
might be given one to each director and director at large of the USHPA; the receivers, of course, may do with the shirts as they wish. The intent of the coordinated permit is that there be one shirt per receiving person. No checking on this matter will be made. Self-Soar Association as a string phrase is to stay adjacent to the main artwork; the Low & Slow need not show. Easy does it.
Signed,

Joe Faust
Steward for the logo of Self-Soar Association.
April 28, 2015
===================
tag: selfsoar self-soar self-regulated FAA wants our HG sport to be self-regulated. Selves, regulate.

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:40 pm

Photo by Frank Colver
May 23, 1971
Newport
S-SA
First Annual Universal International Hang Glider Meet
honoring Otto Lilienthal's 123 Birthday

Clip of Taras Kiceniuk and Joe Faust preparing the Batso with a
green tow line that Faust brought to the meet in case some
kiting was to be done ...
National Geographic showed the kite line quite well.
KiceniukAndFaustMay231971Newport.JPG
KiceniukAndFaustMay231971Newport.JPG (22.62 KiB) Viewed 3756 times

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby reluctantsparrow » Thu May 26, 2016 7:54 am

ha! I just did a google search for the SSA logo and google brought me back to the HAWKS! Okay....all my questions concerning that awesome Logo are Answered...thanks...RS
reluctantsparrow
Contributor
Contributor

Forum Statistics