Semi-private forum for members contributing to the US Hawks Hang Gliding Training Manual
Forum rules
This forum is for contributing to a US Hawks Hang Gliding Training Manual. Posts in this forum may be moved around as the manual takes shape over time. Please feel free to comment on the organization (or reorganization) of the posts as needed.

Re: Setting up a Hang Glider

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:46 am

This is a very good idea!!      :idea:

base_tube_tape.png
base_tube_tape.png (18.18 KiB) Viewed 5192 times

I actually had an experience many years ago where I assembled my Falcon exactly as shown in the video. It wasn't until the preflight that I discovered the problem.

Good post Bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Setting up a Hang Glider

Postby Bill Cummings » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:12 pm

Here are a couple of tips for folding a glider and fastening it to the vehicle rack.
One thing I should pass along, after having to pull out the Mylar and ironing the curl out of the Mylar. Now after flipping the glider upside down and taking apart the control frame I loosen the glider ties and no longer leave the Mylar curled snugly around each wing tube.
I pull slack from the under surface so that the Mylar can uncurl and take the largest circumference inside the glider bag. The Mylar no longer takes the set/curl that it once did from being wrapped too snugly around each wing tube.

For ironing out the Mylar I used water in a steam iron and covered the Mylar with a sheet. Ironed it so that it was too hot to touch and the Mylar is no longer curled. I now have a cambered leading edge like new.

Another thing I just recently started doing is when tying the glider to the rack I measured where each batten pocket would be when it is rolled up inside the glider bag and only tie in those locations. That way if the Mylar is deformed from being tied onto the rack the batten when inserted for set up will hold the Mylar at the desired camber. Hope that made sense.

PS: To put it differently, don't tie your glider to the rack by fastening it between batten pockets.
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Previous
Forum Statistics