Personal Journals about Hang Gliding

Re: Other dangerous sports news

Postby Rick Masters » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:39 pm

BASE Jumping

First time I've seen a wingsuit flare. I admit, I was pretty surprised he could do it without breaking his neck.
Wow. More and more like hang gliding!
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wingspan33 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:36 pm

After watching that video 3 times I think that "editing" is the key. I don't believe that the speed at which the wingsuit guy hits the water is anywhere near the expected speed. You'll notice many edits in the last few seconds. I think that's so the "faking" is harder to notice.

If I saw the uncut video I might have a different opinion. Wingsuits have a glide angle. Wingsuits can probably be caused to stall. But during such a stall is the "pilot's" horizontal speed as slow as the video appears to show? I'm skeptical.

With a little research, flight speed for a person in a wingsuit is ~ 100 mph. From what I'm finding their glide ratio can be as "high" as 2.5:1.

Finally, I got this from Dropzone.com -

". . . if you are still thinking of landing the wingsuit, do one normal parachute jump, but when you open the canopy, try to position your body horizontally (can be done by hooking your feet around rear risers) and try to land small elliptical canopy in that position. After that painful experience, multiply pain and injuries by 9 (three times the speed = nine times the forces of impact = 9 times the consequences), and decide if you are willing to give it a try."

The above seems to be referencing a landing on ground. But would landing on water make all the difference? :?: :?: :?: :?: I'll believe it when I see it happen, live.
wingspan33
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:00 pm

You can play that at .25 speed using the youtube controls.
It looks like there is vertical suspension line coming off his shoulders or helmet.
What is that?
Does he have a paraglider or rectangular canopy above him?
I agree the rooster tail is not sufficient for 100+ mph that was necessary.
I am by nature so innocent and trusting, I thought it was real. :twisted:

The other one:
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:09 pm

Paragliding
Attention paragliders
According to Nature Conservation Act 11 (4), entering the nature reserve outside the designated paths is prohibited.
There is no flying allowed in the nature reserve.
You do not have the consent of the landowner, nor are you allowed launching and landing permits.
Violation of this mandate can be punished with a fine of up to 14,500 Euros; or in the case of nonpayment, with a substitute imprisonment of up to six weeks.
The Mayor
[German and Slovakian]

Paragliding (and probably hang gliding) has now been banned at this beautiful flying site where free flight had been practiced for more than 30 years.

Why?

Residents' complaints have been mounting that recreational athletes fly too close over their gardens.
The posted prohibition panels cause outrage.
Mayor Gerhard Math (SP) confirms:
"On some days at the same time up to 25 paragliders cavorted in the air. Several residents felt unease as they circled above the gardens and disturbed their privacy. "
Thereupon the municipality had signs erected which forbid entrance to the forest.
Also the entrance to the south slope was not permitted.
Persons of the local hunting community were sworn in as supervisory bodies.
The two groups, paragliders and hunters, often delivered verbal altercations.
But recently, the dispute has come to a head.
http://www.noen.at/bruck/hundsheimer-berg-paragleiter-und-jaeger-im-zwist/65.844.227#

Hang glider pilots in the past never experienced these problems.
Instead of hanging around and being a nuisance over people's houses, they flew somewhere.
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

FUN and Dangerous sports news

Postby eagle » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:15 am

Sure While under a threat
PAY THEM $150 for insurance not needed
$200 annually pass (again not needed)
or $10 a day to use the FREE PARK

~ Looks Safe to Me ~

Sucker  Hawk.jpg
Sucker Hawk.jpg (35.9 KiB) Viewed 4901 times

That's Right ~ While under a threat
Shut Up ~ PAY BOTH PARTIES
A City CRIMINAL CEO ZAR
and UNNEEDED INSURANCE WAIVERS

Then Pretend there really good guys doing the PUBLIC a favor
eagle
Contributor
Contributor

Dangerous Parachute Deployment

Postby eagle » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:06 pm

Gift Wrapped ~ It all worked out
Love the Music , take's all the fear away

See Video: https://youtu.be/luM4gKfO_gg

BAD THRO.jpg
BAD THRO.jpg (32.17 KiB) Viewed 4853 times
Last edited by eagle on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eagle
Contributor
Contributor

Other dangerous sports news

Postby eagle » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:44 pm

Hovercraft Meets Aircraft | World's Strangest
See Video: https://youtu.be/svvfzETPmNg

~ Very Cool ~

Skid Hawk.jpg
Skid Hawk.jpg (5.51 KiB) Viewed 4858 times
eagle
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:49 am

PARAGLIDING SLAUGHTER UPDATE
Mystery solved!
ImageImage
PG fatality # 1,584
We have been waiting with bated breath since May 22, 2017, when Peggy Williams of the Avon Hang Gliding and Paragliding Club announced cryptically," I do know what went wrong but I do not want to say," to learn exactly what happened to David Percivall when he died at Spencer's Bowl in England.
more on Peggy Williams: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/5303853/Woman-survived-paragling-accident-due-to-washboard-stomach.html
    Finally, an inquest into his death was conducted on November 17, where senior coroner David Ridley concluded that Percivall’s death was accidental, adding: “David took off in changing wind directions which resulted in an increase of air turbulence that ultimately resulted in a catastrophic asymmetric wing collapse that sent his paraglider into an irrecoverable spin.”
http://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/15668974.Paraglider_spiralled_to_death_after_flying_into__turbulent_air_/

This is just another of many examples of the paragliding elite trying to protect their idiot flock from the brutal truth about the Universal Paraglider Design Flaw.
http://ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2586&hilit=UPDF&sid=d43299f484dbcd945e4184bdf18960d6&sid=d43299f484dbcd945e4184bdf18960d6#p18746
    Paragliders collapse in turbulence, a natural component of the atmosphere. Rather than warn their members that paragliders are at risk of collapse in normal atmospheric conditions and guide them toward more robust aircraft, such as hang gliders and sailplanes, the paragliding elite remains mum for as long as possible following the deaths of their members. Caught in a lie, they choose to do nothing. This has been going on for far too long.
    Now that the paragliding elite control all the world's freeflight organizations, is it any wonder that after 1,649 paragliding deaths, the tired old excuse of "a freak gust of wind" is always presented, rather than the truth that paragliders are incapable of being operated safely in typical atmospheric conditions that airframed aircraft find survivable?
    On the same day that David Percivall died, a paraglider operator was killed in Austria under almost identical circumstances. Shortly after taking off from the Thurntaler, the paraglider entered a spin, then the right side collapsed. The man fell 40 meters and died at the scene. Also on the same day, in Croatia, a paragliding enthusiast was reported missing and, after an all-night search, was found dead the following morning. There were no witnesses to this accident.
    The day before David Percival died, Emilio Goldin died in a canopy collapse in Italy and a speedrider was killed in France.
    The day after David Percivall died, a woman died on a paraglider in Italy and a man died on a paraglider in Russia.
    These are only the ones I know about...
-------------------
Humor
A member of the paragliding elite defends his beloved death sport against an outspoken critic.
http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/outdoors/2014/jul/19/criticism-paragliding-safety-criticized/
Note: I never "behaved badly" on ParaglidingForum. That is a lie. Go ahead and check. Who is behaving badly?
https://www.google.com/search?q=rickmas+paraglidingforum&oq=rickmas+paraglidingforum&aqs=chrome..69i57.25425j0j7&client=ubuntu&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Last edited by Rick Masters on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:42 am

Any aircraft carrying humans should carry assurances of being reasonably air worthy to the best of the pilot's knowledge. Paragliders are not air worthy structures and there is no evidence to the contrary. So anyone piloting a paraglider is not flying an air worthy aircraft to the best of his or her knowledge.

Frank C.
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:49 am

Powered Paragliding    November 17, 2017

ImageImage
Powered paragliding fatality #275    Collapse.
A year ago, Rubén Vicente Crespo set the world record distance for a two-place footlaunched paramotor with a flight of 353 miles. I suppose this record has a lot to do with how much flammable gasoline you are willing to carry along with your passenger. Didn't Charles Lindberg do a similar feat solo and become a renowned aviator? Yes, but he used an aircraft with an airframe and lived a long life - one of the prerequisites for fame and fortune because when you kill yourself, all your friends and fellow sportsmen tend to forget you after a while. As for the general public, they never, ever remember anybody who got killed except for Dale Ernhardt, Sr.

Unfortunitely, after ten years of paramotoring, Crespo was killed yesterday in the Andalusia and Spain Paramotor Championships when his canopy collapsed. Yeah, a paraglider is a paraglider, it seems. They all can collapse, either from turbulence or inside tip stalls on tight turns. This time it was turbulence in strong conditions and Crespo, racing low above low hills, did not have time to deploy his parachute.
    Many enjoy NASCAR because of the spectacular crashes (but very little blood). 42 800-horsepower cars go screaming around an oval track at the limit of adhesion. If they goo too fast, they break that limit and slide into the wall or each other - and crash.
    Paragliding competitions are a lot like that, except with more blood. The goal of paragliding competitions is to go faster and faster on a parachute that becomes more dangerous the faster it goes. (What geniuses thought this up?) When a paraglider goes too fast, the canopy collapses. Doesn't matter if you have a motor or not. If you are flying at speeds that put you near the edge of canopy collapse, and you hit turbulence, you are suddenly a helpless falling human (with an anvil on your back, if you have a motor.)
    Sounds like fun but, like NASCAR, I'd rather not.

We are right now witnessing in paragliding, exactly the same kind of thing that happened to hang gliding beginning in the early 1980s when motors became popular. A whole lot of hang glider pilots died in ultralights. Today a whole lot of paraglider operators are dying on paramotors. And that 275 fatalities number, which includes paratrikes, is woefully incomplete. But it tells us that for every 5 deaths under a paraglider, one is on a paramotor. That percentage is rising fast.
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics