Re: Hang gliders don't do this

Postby Rick Masters » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:32 am

Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:02 pm

"What did we learn today? We learned we need SIV."
No, fool, you learned you need a hang glider.

I just don't get this paragliding stuff.
Landing on top in rowdy air? By accident. Are you kidding me?     :shock:
He makes the short list.     :crazy:
And what are all these guys doing hanging around above takeoff?
I would have disappeared down that mountain range on an XC attempt!
What a great day for hang gliding!!!!
No wonder we didn't see any.     :)
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:15 pm

Paragliding
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPbTYc8utsQ
The only way a hang glider pilot would put up with this crap is if he had a whole bunch of concussions.     :crazy:
Like a concussion every day for a year.     :shock:

This is real footlaunch flying.
Notice how the sail keeps its shape.
That's called an airfoil. It makes the hang glider fly all the time.     :eh:
And notice how the pilot only thinks about flying.
Not dying. And dig that glide, man. That is a glide!     8-)

I don't get that paragliding stuff.
Why would anyone do that?
Why?????????     :crazy:
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:07 am

Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wingspan33 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:53 am

Rick,

I watched the first video last and was amazed at where this guy was landing! I think collapsible canopy occupants get lulled into a false sense of security. They think they can land safely in the smallest areas. Well, this guy was wrong and whether anyone else noticed, in the last few seconds of the video it's clear that his right foot/leg just above the ankle is severed! The ultimate compound fracture! :o

Had this fellow been flying a hang glider he would have landed in a "real" LZ and had close to 0% (or literally no) chance of suffering that kind of injury.

I think it should be mandatory that every person wishing to learn to fly a collapsible canopy should see a 20-30 minute video compilation of accidents such as the ones you've found over the years. It's very clear this will never happen since most potential students would walk away *. Then they might think about trying hang gliding instead.

And to be very honest, a similar video could be made of hang gliding accidents. If both were shown to potential students, I wonder which video would scare the most people away from the specific aerial activity?

Of course either video could be tailor made to make the other sport seem much worse. But would the HG video have any midair sail collapses in it? Don't think so. A couple tumbles maybe, . . .

* . . . and the market for PGs would collapse (just like their canopies!).
Last edited by wingspan33 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
wingspan33
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wingspan33 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:58 am

Also,

In the second video, the guy seems to be "pumping" the brakes over and over again. Is that meant to shorten his final glide - in a good way? Clearly, it seems to have been a bad idea.

I've got to say that once I saw an HG pilots pump his base tube 4 - 5 times on final and he later told me that done right it will degrade your L/D. Since he landed fine, I guess it worked for him. But I'm not sure if it actually shortened his glide by much.
wingspan33
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:14 pm

And to be very honest, a similar video could be made of hang gliding accidents. If both were shown to potential students, I wonder which video would scare the most people away from the specific aerial activity?

Actually, among an equal number of participants, paragliding has a very much higher rate of accidents. This is due to the paraglider being harder to control than a hang glider, being much more inherently dangerous in design, lacking in protection in crashes, having poor penetration which results in an astronomically higher number of out-landings, a dead mans curve below 350 feet and from being flown by people who seem to me to be more like stuntmen or daredevils than real pilots. If you look for the total numbers of hang gliding vs paragliding accident videos, discarding everything prior to 1986 (before paragliding), the ratio seem to be around 1 to 10 or more in favor of paragliding accidents.

So If you make two "similar" accident videos of hang gliding vs. paragliding, you must necessarily include ten times the number of hang gliding accidents over a given period of run time. This is a skewed result that ends up with paraglider operators saying, "See, hang gliders have accidents, too!" And they will believe the two sports are equivalent. Or even worse, because when a hang glider goes "Whack!" harmlessly releasing kinetic energy that on a paraglider would have been carried entirely by the operator, it makes them pee their pants. I guess this is because on a paraglider they know it would be them going "Whack!"

Furthermore, the majority of paragliding accidents are due to the paraglider suddenly behaving like laundry whereas in hang gliding most accidents are actually attributable to genuine pilot error. The paragliding crowd likes to tell themselves that their accidents are also due to pilot error, and are therefore correctable, but this is a lie they keep going to bring in fresh blood and, particularly, dollars. If it were true the number of accidents would have decreased as it did in hang gliding, by improved wing response, safety and pilot training. But as far as I can tell from my extensive accident research, paragliding accidents and fatalities go up the better conditions get for hang gliding. That's it. That's the only connection I can find over 30 years of incessant, meaningless rationalizations to the contrary from the paragliding community. We've had 99 global footlaunch paragliding fatalities so far this year that I know of. There will be more. There were around 108 in 2009. Does that sound like an improvement? It's the status quo.

They shouldn't start bragging just yet.
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:40 pm

in the last few seconds of the video it's clear that his right foot/leg just above the ankle is severed!

Yeah. Compared to hang gliding, paragliding injuries are particularly horrible.
It's like throwing people off buildings or even skyscrapers.
And those nasty Kevlar lines are not your friend.
It looks like just one little line looped around his ankle and cut his foot off when he got jerked off his feet.
In the second video, the guy seems to be "pumping" the brakes over and over again.

I think it''s in panic and trying to flap.
That's what I'd do if I were one.
See http://ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1908&sid=0e0d8faeb6e6b0cc94423aa261eba22d
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:00 pm

I think having an aluminum "selfie stick" to jam up your a** when you crash is also not a good idea. :o

FC
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:59 am

Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics