RGSA Web Site: http://rgsa.info  

Weekend Weather

Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum

Re: Weekend Weather

Postby RobinHastings » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:58 pm

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 8 through SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 10, 2019:
OK, this is not too bad. Really. It may be cold and windy as I write this (Wednesday night) but weather changes! Fast, in New Mexico. It will be dry this weekend, and cool (high temperatures 50 to 60 F) but the winds get better and better as the weekend goes on. On Friday winds are mostly moderate to strong SE (10-15 mph). But in Alamogordo, they are forecast to be light SW. On Saturday, moderate S/SE, but in Alamogordo, moderate to strong SW. Sunday will be cloudy, but the best of the weekend for winds - light to moderate, and SW, for most of the region. (Alamogordo probably more south.) My recommendations are to fly Dry Canyon or La Luz on Friday, and possibly Anapra. Sod Farm might be good as well. On Saturday, Dry Canyon and La Luz again, and towing on Exit 116 Road, west of Las Cruces, might be good. Sunday you have all kinds of options: Dry Canyon, Agave Hill and Nelson's Launch, Magdalena Rim, and Little Floridas. Towing at the Sod Farms should be good all weekend long. I should be free on Sunday, if anyone has a yen to see what we can do with a southwest wind that day - Dry Canyon might be fun. Keep me in the loop!
-Robin
575-541-5744
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Weekend Weather

Postby RobinHastings » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:02 pm

FRIDAY, FEB. 15 through MONDAY, FEB. 18 (Presidents Day):
This is the traditional weekend for a meet-up at the Guadalupe Rim, west of Carlsbad, New Mexico. I have some bad news about that, I'm afraid. It looks like both Friday and Saturday will be blown out. Maybe Sunday and Monday, too, though the Windyty weather site shows that winds might be possible those days - moderately strong, out of the southwest. Friday, February 15th, is supposed to be warm and windy all over our area. The jetstream is supposed to be over Southern New Mexico and El Paso all weekend long, with west/southwest winds 20 to 30 mph on the ground. Alamogordo might be a little milder than the other sites, being a bit farther north - it's possible that La Luz and Dry Canyon may work. Temperatures on Friday will be pretty warm, getting close to 70 degrees F (about 20 C.)
Saturday is forecast to be cooler, though, and a blowout everywhere in the region, with winds 20-30 mph from the west and southwest. Sunday looks more promising. Ground winds in Alamogordo may top out at 15 mph, making La Luz and Dry Canyon good for hang gliders early on - and maybe PG's very early on. The Little Floridas, if flown by 10:00 or 11:00, might work as well. Agave Hill, Nelsons Launch and Kilbourne Hole are also worth investigating with a PG - again, early in the day. Monday is about the same as Sunday. What can I say about the Guadalupes? It's chancy for this weekend. If it works at all, I think it will be on Sunday and Monday, fairly early in the day. They are a long drive from Las Cruces (well, from anywhere) and it may be marginal flying. At least, though, it won't be icy cold this time! For myself, I think I will try to postpone a trip out to the Guads until March, when Spring Break rolls around, and we may get a better weekend. Anyone who wants to fly in Alamogordo this Sunday (or Monday!) let me know. It might just work.
-Robin
575-541-5744
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to Rio Grande Soaring Association