RGSA Web Site: http://rgsa.info  

Flying possibilities

Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum

Re: Flying possibilities

Postby RobinHastings » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:39 am

Hey, I could've been there... As soon as we get a decent wind speed and direction, I'll be happy to tow you up, Bill!
-Robin
PS - I still have a lake in the alley next door. Makes it tough to access the gliders in the back shed.
User avatar
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 557
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:22 am

Re: Flying possibilities Exit 116

Postby Bill Cummings » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:23 pm

RobinHastings wrote:Hey, I could've been there... As soon as we get a decent wind speed and direction, I'll be happy to tow you up, Bill!
-Robin
PS - I still have a lake in the alley next door. Makes it tough to access the gliders in the back shed.

8-) The Falcon 195 over here at my place is accessible without flotation or waders. 8-)
So I wouldn't dream of asking you to risk the quicksand or alligators :angel: :roll:
So Robin, give me a call when you're good to go and we can head out that way some time after
noon o'clock.
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2516
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Re: Flying possibilities Exit 116 NM I-10

Postby Bill Cummings » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:24 am

Looking stronger on some models and more out of the south than they were talking about yesterday.
Still close enough that it should be okay so I'll keep packing.
We can always come home if things go south on us.
I'm seeing 160º at 10 to 15 mph. One showing already Gusts to 20 mph.
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2516
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Re: Flying possibilities Exit 116 NM I-10

Postby Bill Cummings » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:34 pm

Bill Cummings wrote:Looking stronger on some models and more out of the south than they were talking about yesterday.
Still close enough that it should be okay so I'll keep packing.
We can always come home if things go south on us.
I'm seeing 160º at 10 to 15 mph. One showing already Gusts to 20 mph.

It was a spoof weather report.
Not only was it not strong it was L&V mostly from the west. We were told SE @ 10 mph.
The only good we did was put ourselves in an extreme state of readiness for future false hope torture.
All memory cards formatted, deep cycle reel battery charged, X-Terra gassed up, Kamel Bak filled, weak-links located, Skyting bridle found, crosswind towline stake and hammer stowed, iPhone charged, glider transport platform attached and all the logistics necessary to commit aviation. (The list goes on.)
At a moments notice we on on the edge of our seats totally ready to pounce on the next opportunity for disappointment.
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2516
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Re: Flying possibilities

Postby Bill Cummings » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:39 pm

My home phone line service is down.
Repair scheduled for Tuesday 12th.
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2516
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Re: Flying possibilities Sunday 10, 2017 (Dry)

Postby Bill Cummings » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:02 pm

Robin will pick me up at my place at 9:30 am Sunday.
We should be in the Cox Field LZ at 11:00 am.
I will be doing the driving duties.
I'm seeing dry air without a lot of chance for precipitation.
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2516
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Re: Flying possibilities DRY, 9-20-2017

Postby Bill Cummings » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:49 am

Robin and I should be in Alamogordo at 10:00 am today.
I'll be driving his truck and throwing him over the rim
somewhere around noon
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2516
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Re: Flying possibilities Mag Rim 9-24-17

Postby Bill Cummings » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:09 am

Robin, Shamek and I are going to leave my place at about 13:30 today for Matt's Mountain NW of Las Cruces, NM (USA).
Over 50% of the models are indicating too much west on the wind direction but we're hopeful the less than 50% models are
going to be right. The hopeful models indicate SW strong for PG and okay for HG.
I have volunteered or first DIBS on driver job and I'll mount the camera on a wind dummy. :shh: :shifty:
___________________________________________________________________________
Looking ahead long range at Gray Hill for nest weekend the wind direction is undesirable but time may heal the injury.
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2516
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Flying possibilities posted by JoeF

Postby Bill Cummings » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:50 pm

Check out this new Flying possibility that JoeF posted elsewhere on the Hawks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFGueoCKsVk
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2516
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Flying possibilities. Week end of 10-20-2017

Postby Bill Cummings » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:13 am

Gray Hill isn't looking all that definite and Mike Ellsworth may not have Friday free.
Saturday at this long range look -- looks too strong for the Little Florida's.
Sunday for Volcanic Peak looks doable early but less so after 12:00 noon when the direction shows 40º.
I'm leaning for Sunday early. Unless the rain sprouted some line grabbers it should be PG ready at the
base of the communication's tower.
Robin are you up for early Sunday?
If the forecast holds Mike may camp in his truck behind my fence Sat. night.
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2516
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

PreviousNext

Return to Rio Grande Soaring Association

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests