RGSA Web Site: http://rgsa.info  

Flying possibilities

Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum

Re: Flying possibilities Fri Jan 27, 2017

Postby Bill Cummings » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:56 am

RGSA/Hawks,
At 08:40 the forecast for Volcanic Peak is still holding straight into the Peak. The wind will back off a little through the day according to four different models and hold at 12 mph on the average. :thumbup:
Volcanic Peak Snake.JPG
Volcanic Peak Snake.JPG (29.06 KiB) Viewed 389 times
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2360
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Re: Flying possibilities

Postby Bill Cummings » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:03 pm

The forecast was good for the 27th (Fri.) and three of us were able to soar. (Back arrow then click on Volcanic Peak thread.)
But the forecast was wrong for the 28th at least at Volc. Pk. but not at KLRU (Las Cruces International Airport).
While we had practically nothing for wind at the Peak, but there was some at KLRU, 18 miles to the ENE (66º). :? :wtf:
At KLRU as compared to Volc. Pk. L&V.JPG
At KLRU as compared to Volc. Pk. L&V.JPG (38.21 KiB) Viewed 382 times
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2360
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Re: Flying possibilities Wed. Feb. 1, 2017

Postby Bill Cummings » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:47 am

So far the models are holding for the Little Florida's, (Floor EE does).
It should be good for soaring all day but right close to blown out at the launch site.
Robin has volunteered to drive so we are going to go check out the situation. :thumbup:
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2360
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Re: Flying possibilities Results of 2-1-17.

Postby Bill Cummings » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:02 pm

It was working at the Little Florida Mountains Feb 1, 2017. Click the back arrow and find the Little Florida thread for the text, and the embedded video about a successful day of flying. :thumbup:
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2360
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Re: Flying possibilities Feb 5, 2017

Postby Bill Cummings » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:10 pm

Today and tomorrow look good at Dry Canyon. Mike E. is busy both days and I'm going to cool my jets for a couple days. My back has been signaling me that it is the body part that is in charge of scheduling and not my brain. (What was I thinking?) :roll:

Taro and Robin, last I heard, were going up Dry Canyon tomorrow. Robin may be Taro's driver since his chute and glider (One of his out of his stable) are getting an annual inspection.
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2360
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Re: Flying possibilities Volcanic Peak Tuesday 2-14-17

Postby Bill Cummings » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:46 pm

Eagle Eye Robin has detected a flying possibility at Volcanic Peak for Tuesday 2-14-17 Valentines Day.
I plan to load up at Robin's place at 08:00.
I'm just hoping the forecast doesn't change between now and then.
Tuesday Windytv Volcanic Peak.JPG
Tuesday Windytv Volcanic Peak.JPG (25.84 KiB) Viewed 332 times
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2360
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Flying possibilities Feb. 17, 2017

Postby Bill Cummings » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:43 pm

Buzz Nelson and I were watching the forecast for the Little Florida's Mts.
The forecast was for near blown out for HG and I'm thinking blown out for PG.
Buzz thought the Marr soaring at the Kilbourne Crater might work so we will have to
watch for a video at his Youtube Channel.
Looking at the Deming history, to see if we made the correct call, we can see the wind chart below was unsettled.
Deming history 2-17-17.JPG
Deming history 2-17-17.JPG (25.48 KiB) Viewed 306 times

One call that might have worked today may have been towing at Exit 116 north of Interstate ten.
Las Cruces 2-17-17.JPG
Las Cruces 2-17-17.JPG (24.83 KiB) Viewed 306 times

Exit 116.JPG
Exit 116.JPG (33.57 KiB) Viewed 306 times
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2360
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Flying possibilities Tue. Feb. 21, 2017

Postby Bill Cummings » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:59 am

The wind is supposed to switch at the Little Florida Mts. today from 200º at 6 mph, after noon, and before one pm they're showing 240º @ 8 mph.
If the forecast is accurate launching form the saddle could be blown out for hang gliding but still good if a pilot is in the air already.
Robin is coming to pick me up at 10:00 and we will see what the on site options are. :?: :? :roll: :roll: :wave:
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2360
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Re: Flying possibilities Tue. Feb. 21, 2017

Postby Bill Cummings » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:39 pm

Bill Cummings wrote:The wind is supposed to switch at the Little Florida Mts. today from 200º at 6 mph, after noon, and before one pm they're showing 240º @ 8 mph.
If the forecast is accurate launching form the saddle could be blown out for hang gliding but still good if a pilot is in the air already.
Robin is coming to pick me up at 10:00 and we will see what the on site options are. :?: :? :roll: :roll: :wave:

I threw Robin off the Little Florida Mts and posted a video and pictures. To check that out hit the back arrow at the upper left of your
search engine and select the latest Little Florida's thread.
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2360
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Flying possibilities Feb Sat. 25, 2017

Postby Bill Cummings » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:45 pm

Robin, I'll drive for you again. My sore neck is feeling better but not up to prone position just yet.
I recommend that if you pick the Florida Mts., that we leave at 7:00 am Sat morning.
If you pick Matt's Mt. that we leave at 8:00 am. (if the forecast, now at 14:45 Thu, holds the same.) :thumbup:
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2360
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

PreviousNext

Return to Rio Grande Soaring Association

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest