Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum
Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum
After looking at all the models the best consensus for straightest wind direction into a site between Mag Rim, Little Florida Mts. and Dry Canyon; - Dry Canyon looks the most promising. (I'll be the driver/photographer.)
I'll be at Robin's at 08:30 to drop off my vehicle and we will take Robin's Toyota and meet Mike E. in the Cox LZ in Alamogordo, NM tomorrow by 10:00 am.
So if anyone has a mind to catch a ride with us those are the two places and two times to climb aboard.
Click the back arrow on the upper left of your search engine then scroll down to the Dry Canyon thread to see text, pictures and video of how things went.
For the early pilots Wednesday March 1, 2017 Volcanic Peak will be working from 7 am to 11 am.
PG pilots should see the wind tapering off after 10 am.
The long range forecast is showing 11 mph from 010º moving to 9 mph from 020º during the morning.
Looking at the three models on Windyty for Thursday the NAM model isn't up yet but GFS is showing a short soaring window between 9 and 10 am then crossing right.
It would be soarable at 8 am to past 9 am but I don't like the clock numbers.
I've selected 9 am as my earliest desirable launch time which logistically means arrive at 8 am, Leave Cruces at 7 am, wake up and 6 am.
However the robins all seem to be awake earlier so if Robin drove out earlier and was ready to launch at 8 am I could just be arriving then to assist at launch and retrieve.
Wed is not an option for Robin and this morning the forecast for Wed is not as agreeable as it was yesterday.
Things could change between now and Thursday for the better but if things stay as forecast I only see the early bird option working for Robin.
I sit at the Dell today with the wind blowing Arizona into the Texas Pan Handle. (Across New Mexico of course.)
Looking at the three different models put up on the Windyty site and keeping in mind that soaring with a hang glider at Volcanic Peak
requires at least 12 to 15 miles per hour for straight in or more within approximately 22º either side of 25º (Grid North).
I'd call that direction anywhere between zero degrees and forty five degrees or North to Northeast.
This looks great to me! I'll come by and pick you up at 7:00 or so, on Thursday. Anybody else, come out to my house in Las Cruces (contact me for directions) by 7:00 and we can all go out together to Volcanic Peak. Dress warm...
I was able to find time within my busy retirement schedule to average the three Windyty models (ECMWF, NAM, GFS) to save all you unfortunate worker bees some time.
At 10:00 am Wed. March 1, 2017 (for Thursday) the average wind (degree) direction and wind speeds, for HG, starting at eight AM, are:
Ideal soaring direction and wind speed is 025º/12 to 15mph (minimum).
Above 15 mph of wind we may be able to soar the non optimal wind direction range of, 000º (North) to 045º (NE).
These are surface level wind forecast so at launch we could well have a better soaring conditions for what we are planning to do.
Robin will pick me up at 07:00. We should arrive at 08:00 and be set up ready for one of us to launch at 09:00.
I'll try to get some pictures and video.
I just checked the Windyty three model forecast for Dry Canyon and Robin's weather forecast is still holding for good soaring.
I gave Mike E. a call but he has to work tomorrow. Robin is going to pick me up at 08:00 then we will meet up with our driver in the LZ in Alamogordo, NM (USA) at 09:30. So there again is two times and places to catch a ride if you've a mind too.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests