RGSA Web Site: http://rgsa.info  

Flying possibilities

Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum

Flying possibilities, Sun-Mon 11-(06-07)-2016

Postby Bill Cummings » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:06 pm

Launch Code and Wunderground had a good forecast for the Little Florida's today but our schedules were full
and we didn't get there.
Looking at the NOAA Deming history the launch window there was between 11:53 and 12:53. After that the launch would have been blown out but it was a good bet that anyone having launched during the open window could have soared until 14:53 (2:53 pm). Between 3 and 4 pm was an over all blow out.
Down wind, 55 miles, not much was going on the whole day. :shock: :?
It was too light near Las Cruces for towing. (Just where does the wind go?)
Robin and I are watching the forecast for tomorrow with interest. (Probably, stupidly, if today was any lesson.) :roll:
If the wind does go east Anapra, NM could work.
Two days ago (4th) Robin and I braved the windy eye ball sand blasting day and took off a thousand feet of twisted 1/4" Poly-Pro rope from the electric take up/storage reel and replaced it with hollow braid (Diamond weave) 1/4" rope. Robin tied it to 600' of Nylon 1/4" towline. (Total 1,600').
We are ready for Static Tow if the wind will cooperate. :wave:
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Flying possibilities Friday 11/11/2016

Postby Bill Cummings » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:12 pm

My schedule still looks open to pace Steve up and down the East Portrillo Mountains with my chase/retrieve vehicle.
The only hitch is my sleeping pattern has been scattered so Steve might have to wait a bit after he lands for me to get there and make the pick up. Robin is posting light winds all weekend so PG should be good with the exception of mid day. (Except if it stays cloudy.) :wave:
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Flying possibilities for Wed. Mag Rim

Postby Bill Cummings » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:37 am

RGSA/Hawks & drivers,
Robin was checking the wind forecast yesterday and we both agreed that today, Tue., was looking too light.

Looking at the conditions here and now in the present (which if you're reading this is now in your past.) was
a good call for around 11 am with everything being calm from here to Deming.

But then (Mon.) and now (Tue) the forecast for Wed., is still holding for Mag Rim to be fly-able.
Steve checked in with me and he is watching conditions for Wed at Mag Rim as well.
So if things keep looking good for Wed., maybe we'll see more of you out there.

Sorry that this information is no longer current -- but I did type this slowly so as to closer
connect my future (when you read this) to your past, back when I typed it. :crazy: :srofl:
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Flying possibilities

Postby RobinHastings » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:52 pm

Hi, everyone. I'll be calling Bill as soon as I get home on Wednesday (about 10:45 am I hope) and loading up for a trip to Matt's Mountain (Mag Rim). It should be a pretty good day to fly! (I'm planning to drive for everyone, though.)
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Flying possibilities for Matt's Mt - AKA Mag Rim. Wed.

Postby Bill Cummings » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:02 pm

RGSA/Hawks,
Robin, I can drive if you like. The bed is out so the cart will fit in my Xterra. However Steve will be planning on a later flight so bring something to eat.
If you need to be back early we all three can drive. That way I can stay late with Steve. We can talk tomorrow morning.
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Flying possibilities

Postby RobinHastings » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:42 pm

Wednesday evening, Nov. 16:
It was a reasonably successful day, I think. Bill got to fly for over an hour in his Wills Wing Sport 2. He had a smooth launch and an excellent landing. Steve was still waiting on launch for the winds to calm a little, when I left from there for my truck at 2:50 pm. Bill landed at 3:50, I think, and Steve was still waiting, at last sighting. (From the LZ, there is no direct radio communication to the launch at Matt's Mountain.) I left the LZ as soon as we had the Sport 2 on Bill's truck, so I will await his account (and videos and photos, I hope!) of how the rest of the afternoon was spent.
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Flying possibilities Wed. 11-30-16

Postby Bill Cummings » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:38 pm

Well shucks!! Robin and I had been looking toward Wed. to do some towing at Exit 116 (of I-10 NM) but Windytv is now not looking so good.
https://www.windytv.com/32.368/-107.129?600h,32.368,-107.706,9
Try Ctrl + (- or +) if the picture doesn't display properly with your browser.
Wed. Windytv.JPG
Wed. Windytv.JPG (58.82 KiB) Viewed 4868 times
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Flying possibilities, 4 Matt's Mt. Fri. 02, 2016

Postby Bill Cummings » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:08 pm

As Robin was heading in to teach his class he called to have me get in touch with Matt H. for flying tomorrow at Mag Rim (Matt's Mt.)
Matt gave me a call back and he has to work so can't make it.
I'll drive tomorrow and do the photo, video, portage cart return, and wire nose assist duties for Robin.
The forecast looks good 11 am past 2 pm ranging from S @ 6 to 9 mph to SW @ 6 to 9 mph. 57º for the high tomorrow,
Matt's Mt. faces SW.
Robin should be at my place at 9:00 am tomorrow. (Friday.) :thumbup: We have room for more flyers.
Later around 4:30 to 5:30 we may be mentoring near "A" Mountain so my youtube up load may be late.
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Flying possibilities Thursday Dec. 08, 2016

Postby Bill Cummings » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:47 am

Today every weather station around is showing easterly at 9 am. Except for Las Cruces Airport KLRU. (West)
KLRU is from 20 to 22 miles west of the mountain range that is east of Las Cruces.
I'm wondering if it's possible that KLRU is showing West because it's in the lea side rotor of the mountains 20 miles distant? :?:
Anyway, It's too cold for me to go towing at exit 116 so after 1pm Robin and I are going to go check out a one mile tow road that I found on Google Earth that is along the RR tracks south of Interstate Ten even with Exit 116 (New Mexico.)
If time permits there are two other 0.5 diameter dry lakes to check out. One further west of the possible tow road and another Dry Lake SW of Providence Cone by about 6 miles.
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Flying possibilities Thursday Dec. 08, 2016

Postby Bill Cummings » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:45 am

Bill Cummings wrote:Today every weather station around is showing easterly at 9 am. Except for Las Cruces Airport KLRU. (West)
KLRU is from 20 to 22 miles west of the mountain range that is east of Las Cruces.
I'm wondering if it's possible that KLRU is showing West because it's in the lea side rotor of the mountains 20 miles distant? :?:
Anyway, It's too cold for me to go towing at exit 116 so after 1pm Robin and I are going to go check out a one mile tow road that I found on Google Earth that is along the RR tracks south of Interstate Ten even with Exit 116 (New Mexico.)
If time permits there are two other 0.5 diameter dry lakes to check out. One further west of the possible tow road and another Dry Lake SW of Providence Cone by about 6 miles.

Here is the follow-up on the tow road along the railroad track south of exit 116 from Interstate ten in New Mexico (USA).
There is too much brush along side the tow road that wasn't visible on Google Earth. The Dry Lake (half mile diameter) that was located two miles west of the not so good prospective tow road was too rough from cows tracks in what had been mud.
We did discover that the road to the tower on Volcanic Peak has been improved to two wheel drive conditions.
For further information on Volcanic Peak use the back arrow and go to that thread.
Looking ahead to Wednesday Dec 14, at Matt's Mountain things look good on Windytv for four PM
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Rio Grande Soaring Association