RGSA Web Site: http://rgsa.info  

Flying possibilities

Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum

Re: Flying possibilities Dry Can. Sat Mar. 18, '17

Postby Bill Cummings » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:38 pm

Windyty is showing only Dry Canyon working on Saturday the 18th.
Wind forecast showing today Thursday 16, for Sat. is 230º to 240º @ 7 to 9 mph.
So far Mike E. Bill C. and Robin H. are just about ready to jump off of a cliff.
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2535
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Re: Flying possibilities

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:06 pm

My friend Jim Mott has volunteered to drive for us on Saturday. Tell me where and when you'd like to meet!
-Robin
User avatar
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:22 am

Re: Flying possibilities Dry Can. Sat Mar. 18, '17

Postby Bill Cummings » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:51 am

Bill Cummings wrote:Windyty is showing only Dry Canyon working on Saturday the 18th.
Wind forecast showing today Thursday 16, for Sat. is 230º to 240º @ 7 to 9 mph.
So far Mike E. Bill C. and Robin H. are just about ready to jump off of a cliff.

Holding close to the same forecast today (12:49) as yesterday for Sat:
230º to 240º @ 6 to 9 mph.
The plan as it unfolds is to meet in the Cox LZ (At the Griggs Sports Complex) in Alamogordo at 11:00 am.
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2535
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Re: Flying possibilities. Area WX Models

Postby Bill Cummings » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:55 am

European Center for Medium range Weather Forecasting (ECMWF)
The Global Forecast System (GFS)
The North American Mesoscale Model (NAM)
Weather https://www.wunderground.com/
Launch Code http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/ ... U&state=NM (also KALM, KDMN)
As of noon Friday after averaging the five weather models above my two cents for HG on what to expect Sat through Monday (coming up.)
Dry Canyon: (Sat, okay noon and on --) (Sun Not good.) (Mon. okay.)
La Luz: (Sat, Not good.) (Sun, Okay.) (Mon, Not good.)
Mag Rim: (Sat, Not good.) (Sun, Not good.) (Mon, Okay very early)
Florida's: (Sat, Not good.) (Sun, Launch at 8am) (Mon, Launch at 10am)
The common problem for "Not good," was crosswind straightening out but wind increasing to blow out. (Very small launch window.)
The plan as it stands is I be at Robin's to load up on his Toyota for a trip to "Dry," just before 13:30 (Sat). (Pilot coming down from CO.)
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2535
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Re: Flying possibilities

Postby RobinHastings » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:14 pm

SUNDAY, MARCH 26, 2017:
Ann Dunlap and Bill Cummings came by my house about 8:15 this morning. By 9:30 we were meeting up with Mike Ellsworth in the La Luz landing zone. Everything went smoothly from there: drive up, set up, get ready to launch - except that the La Luz launch winds did not cooperate. We were at the Northwest Launch for hours, without a good lull to launch in while winds roared from 20 to 35 miles per hour. Finally, we carried the gliders for all three pilots (I was driving, today) up to the Southwest Launch. Winds still were not good, but both Bill and Ann made launches there after some long waits. Bill shot up 500 feet above the launch - then plummeted as he began searching for thermals. His flight was about 8 minutes in duration. Ann had similar problems - she waited quite a while, then finally had a good takeoff. However she, too, had only a short flight. She worked some small thermals, but couldn't get much altitude in them. Finally she ended her first flight at the site by landing perfectly in a clear area on the east side of the power lines (Bill landed past them, to the west, right by the flag he had planted). She had a 6 minute flight. Mike wisely decided to pack up his T2C and ride back down with me. All's well that ends well; we had all the gliders tied down to the vehicles by 5:30, and went off in different directions - Mike to Ruidoso, the rest of us to dinner at Margo's Mexican Restaurant, and then Las Cruces. Better luck next time, eh?
-Robin
User avatar
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:22 am

Re: Flying possibilities

Postby RobinHastings » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:27 am

Volcanic Peak tomorrow! Bill Cummings and I think that Volcanic Peak may work well throughout tomorrow afternoon (Wednesday, March 29th). We plan to leave my house in Las Cruces about 11:00 am. It should be fine for hang gliders, and late in the afternoon, light enough for PG's, too. Let me know if you'd like to join us!
-Robin
575-541-5744
User avatar
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:22 am

Flying possibilities Matt's Mt. (Mag Rim) Wed.

Postby Bill Cummings » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:31 am

The expedition to Matt's Mt. leaves my house around 10:00 am.
Today is Wednesday April 12, 2017. (Are your taxes filed?) :? :roll: :crazy:
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2535
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Re: Flying possibilities

Postby Bill Cummings » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:58 pm

Robin is usually busy on Tuesday's and Thursday's so I left a message on Mike Ellsworth's voice mail that Tuesday (tomorrow) looks good for Dry Canon Alamogordo, NM (USA).
I flew last at Mag Rim so I offered to drive. I'm still waiting for a call back.
It looks good although high pressure but that didn't stop the dust devil's today on my way back from AZ. :thumbup:
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2535
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Re: Flying possibilities

Postby RobinHastings » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:55 am

Wednesday, April 19th doesn't look bad in Alamogordo. I could fly Dry Canyon that day. Maybe we can find a driver, too.
-Robin
User avatar
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:22 am

Flying possibilities, Dry Canyon Alamogordo.

Postby Bill Cummings » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:32 pm

RobinHastings wrote:Wednesday, April 19th doesn't look bad in Alamogordo. I could fly Dry Canyon that day. Maybe we can find a driver, too.
-Robin

I too agree Wednesday April 19, 2017 should be good for going up Dry Canyon for hang gliding. (Could be strong for PG.)
Of the five weather models that I looked at the morning starts out a little WNW but swings around to WSW SW by 2 pm or 3 pm.
On the phone with Mike E. and Robin H. we have plans to meet in the LZ at 11 am. We should be at launch near noon and ready by 1 pm.
Robin may try for Mike Reedy to be our driver but if we come up short I'll drive since I flew last.
We should have room if more pilots show up. :thumbup: :wave:
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2535
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

PreviousNext

Return to Rio Grande Soaring Association

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest