RGSA Web Site: http://rgsa.info  

Nice to be here

Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum

Nice to be here

Postby RobinHastings » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:28 am

Hi, this is Robin Hastings, a long time HG pilot with the Rio Grande Soaring Association in southern New Mexico. It's nice to have a good forum to communicate on. Bill Cummings of the RGSA recommended this to me. Thanks!
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Nice to be here

Postby Bill Cummings » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:41 am

Hey Robin,
I see you made it here. Soon if not already the warning sign will come down now that it's clear that you are not simply a spambot or webcrawler but are in fact a living breathing, handsome, intelligent, like-able guy---can I borrow some money?
:srofl: :srofl:
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:52 am

RobinHastings wrote:Hi, this is Robin Hastings, a long time HG pilot with the Rio Grande Soaring Association in southern New Mexico. It's nice to have a good forum to communicate on. Bill Cummings of the RGSA recommended this to me. Thanks!

Welcome to the US Hawks Robin!!!

:clap: :thumbup: :wave: :) :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :wave: :clap: :clap: :wave: :wave:
     :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :wave: :) :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :wave: :clap:
     :clap: :wave: :wave: :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :wave: :) :clap: :clap:
     :thumbup: :wave: :clap: :clap: :wave: :wave: :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup:
     :wave: :) :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :wave: :clap: :clap: :wave: :wave: :thumbup: :clap:
     :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :wave: :) :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :wave: :clap: :clap: :wave:
     :wave: :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :wave: :) :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :wave:
     :clap: :clap: :wave: :wave: :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :wave: :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap:

We're not the biggest national flying association, but as number 2 ... we try harder!!    :thumbup:

Please feel free to contact me any time by phone, email, or PM if there's anything we can do for you or your club.

Thanks, and welcome aboard!!
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:12 pm

EarthMonkeyNEofKilbourneHole.jpg
EarthMonkeyNEofKilbourneHole.jpg (9.19 KiB) Viewed 14292 times
RobinHastings wrote:Hi, this is Robin Hastings, a long time HG pilot with the Rio Grande Soaring Association in southern New Mexico. It's nice to have a good forum to communicate on. Bill Cummings of the RGSA recommended this to me. Thanks!

Hi Robin,
Welcome.
Robin, has anyone launched from any high ground at the earth-monkey site NE of Kilbourne Hole?

Lift,
JoeF

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:53 pm

Hey JoeF,
Robin was over for a video, “The Lincoln Lawyer” and we checked on google earth for the Earth Monkey site NE of Kilbourne Hole.
We haven’t been there and there doesn’t seem to be any roads to it.
Looks like around 100’ shallow slope.
Some areas to the NW do allow for off road vehicles but since it looks trackless near the Monkey I’m thinking no off road motor travel allowed there.

We are in the process now of obtaining motor vehicle access permission, from the BLM office, to the Magdalena Rim NW of Las Cruces, NM. (that didn’t compose correctly) -- ( hope that’s good enough)

I just checked out a site west southwest of Santa Fe, NM last weekend called La Bajada ( “The Descent” ) a volcanic N-S ridge that pilots have been flying for years.
The switchback road starts on Tribal lands of the Cochiti Indian Reservation at the bottom and ends up on top in the Santa Fe National Forest.
The road needs more clearance than my 4X4 has and the gate from Santa Fe to the rim is locked due to the road being washed out during the last heavy rain.
THERE ALWAYS SEEMS TO BE SOMETHING WRONG WITH EVERY DARN FLYING SITE ANYWHERE.

Oh you want to go flying do you? I’M SORRY SIR THAT WILL NOT BE POSSIBLE!
Or

WELCOME TO THE BLM AUTOMATED LAND ACCESS HOT LINE!
YOUR CALL IS IMPORTANT TO US. PLEASE STAY ON THE LINE AND YOUR CALL WILL BE ANSWERED BY OUR NEXT AVAILABLE LAND AGENT.
YOUR ESTIMATED WAITING TIME WILL BE ---click, click,--------------------
FOUR LIFETIMES.
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SamKellner » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:56 pm

Welcome Robin :clap:

:wave:
Southwest Texas Hang Gliders
US Hawks Hang Gliding Assn.
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:14 am

Robin Hastings quote:
“Bill! How was my launch?”

Unnoticed possibly by someone without experience with the sport of golf this is an interrogative forged with a double edge.

Hang gliding like most other sports includes friendly competitiveness. Like who had the longest flight, the highest, farthest, best take-off, best landing etc.

My wife Terry tells me once you whack a golf ball out of the “T” box and it disappears in a straight line with the hole you ask your party of golfers, “Did anyone see where that one went?”

This question from the gold bricking golfer with the perfect drive allows the observer with the keen eye and quick reflexes to blow their own horn with a response that indicates the golf ball did not escape their view.
It also puts the observer in the unenviable position of admitting (in the fewest glowing terms possible.) that it was a perfect drive.

So now that I’ve schooled the readers in double edged statements or questions here is a short test to see if you can now pick out the double meaning in a statement:

Bill, Wills Wing Gliders did a perfect job on the top of your sail. There isn’t a wrinkle in it anywhere.
(Find the double meaning)

PS
Oh yes! I almost forgot.--Robin, your launch was text book! (you skunk) :roll:
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:08 pm

I had a great conversation with Robin Hastings while helping reset his password few minutes ago. Thanks Robin!!

I just hope I didn't talk his ear off about the US Hawks.      Sorry Robin!!    :oops:
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:36 am

Another great RGSA meeting.

Super Club!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:49 am

Robin is gone now, but I think his post starting this topic (Monday, October 21, 2013), was his first to the U.S. Hawks Forum.

Robin's dedication to the sport of hang gliding can be seen in his signature topic titled "Weekend Weather" which Robin started on February 6th, 2014. Robin made his last post to that topic on June 30th, 2021, and that topic documents 7 years of Robin's diligent service to the RGSA and to the sport of hang gliding that he loved so much. I am sure that 7 years is just a drop in the bucket.

With regard to the title of this topic, it was nice for you to be here Robin. We will all miss you very much.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Rio Grande Soaring Association