RGSA Web Site: http://rgsa.info  

Weekend Weather

Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum

Re: Weekend Weather

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:22 pm

Correction to previous post: I meant, do you want to fly the Rim TOMORROW, Friday the 17th? If so, call me! (Also, Dry Canyon looks like our only good foot-launched site on Saturday and Sunday, with south/southeast as the wind direction.)
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:09 pm

Are we still on for 8am :?:
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:26 pm

OCT. 24-26, 2014
How... unusual. Southwest winds, light to moderate, Friday through Sunday. No rain. All sites flyable. When have we last seen this?! We should be able to foot launch at Dry Canyon, Magdalena Rim, La Luz, Agave Hill, Lee's Lookout, Little Floridas... You name it! I plan to fly at Magdalena Rim tomorrow (Friday) leaving Las Cruces about 11:00 am. I plan to drive for Jan at Dry Canyon on Saturday morning. On Sunday I plan to be mentoring Byron Stevens. Had is probably going to be training at the Sod Farm all three days, unless I can get him to fly the Rim with me. It could be an airhog weekend! Soak it up while you can, folks - something's bound to come up in the months to come...
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:47 am

RobinHastings wrote:Soak it up while you can, folks

Sounds like good advice for a stellar weekend!!!

Have fun and be safe!!     :thumbup:
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:56 am

OCT. 31 - NOV. 2, 2014:
This is not the stellar weekend we had last week. We've had a run of delightful, typical October weather for a while. Starting tomorrow (Friday) the winds will get stronger. At launch heights, they'll be south/southeast on Friday - still dry, however. Saturday the winds get stronger and more southerly. By Sunday, though, they could be roaring through from the southwest, WITH rain. Yes, rain - which we don't often see at this time of year. Expect it Sunday afternoon and possibly into Monday morning. Wow! So I would recommend, if you need some airtime, that you fly on Saturday, fairly early, at Dry Canyon. I don't expect any of our other foot-launched sites to work well. And on Sunday, if you want to chance it, you might try La Luz, Dry Canyon or Magdalena Rim. I don't know what effect this will have on the Amigo Airsho, in El Paso, but I'm guessing it isn't good for Hadley and Lee doing a PPG demonstration. Be very careful if you try to fly!
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:06 am

NOV. 7-9, 2014:
OK, back to the good times. Or pretty much, at least. This will be a dry weekend and not too windy. I expect winds on Friday to be light to moderate out of the west, shifting to northwest by late afternoon. This may make Dry Canyon and La Luz good sites to fly, and possibly Little Floridas and Agave Hill. On Saturday the winds are predicted to be east, moderate in strength (10-15 mph). The only foot-launched site I know of then is Anapra, and towing at the Sod Farms with Hadley if he's up for it. On Sunday things get more typical, with winds moderate to strong out of the west and southwest. Magdalena Rim might be good that day, as well as La Luz, Dry Canyon, Little Floridas and Agave Hill. I hope to fly on Friday and maybe on Sunday. Our good friend (and current Canadian National Champion) John Theoret is getting into town today, and I'd like to get him some airtime while he's here. Let me know if you're up for it, too!
-Robin
575-541-5744
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:00 am

NOV. 14-16, 2014
This should be a pretty good flying weekend, though a little chillier than last. No precipitation. We had a good day at Dry Canyon last Sunday with John Theoret, Mike Ellsworth and I flying at Dry Canyon. (John & I flew at Mag Rim last Friday, too - I had 5 minutes, he had an hour and 50. Shows what ability can do, eh? He's also flown at Anapra and at Transmountain Highway.) So, for this weekend, expect winds mostly west and southwest. They could get pretty strong, too, so go early. I think that Dry Canyon, La Luz, Mag Rim, Agave Hill and Little Floridas are all possible. Keep in touch with me, 575-541-5744, as I'd like to fly at least on Friday. Get some airtime, and be safe!
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:56 pm

NOV. 21-23, 2014
This should be another flyable weekend, at least until Sunday. I don't expect any precipitation again (though I got fooled by that last Sunday!) Temperatures should be normal or cool, for November. Winds? On Friday, fairly strong, out of the southwest. This should be good for most of our sites, including La Luz, Dry Canyon, Mag Rim, Agave Hill and the Little Floridas (if you go early). On Saturday the winds are lighter and more variable, mostly out of the southwest and west. I'd say Dry Canyon might be the best one to try. On Sunday, the odds aren't good; it looks like a blowout from the northwest. It might be a good day to light a fire and read through your GPS manual. Good luck if you fly, and be safe!
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:15 am

NOV. 28-30, 2014
This will be a flyable weekend again. No rain anywhere, as far as I can see. On Friday I expect winds to be southwest, light to moderate. On Saturday they start out the same, then get stronger and more westerly as the day goes on. Sunday should be fairly windy out of the west all day. You might give Dry Canyon, La Luz and the El Paso sites a look. Mag Rim should work, too, as long as the winds stay southwest. I won't be back until Sunday at earliest, and maybe not then - it depends how fast we come from Nebraska after today. Enjoy Thanksgiving, everyone - I'm really thankful that we still get to fly!
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:31 am

I hope you all had a happy Thanksgiving ... watch that wing loading!!!      :srofl:
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Rio Grande Soaring Association