RGSA Web Site: http://rgsa.info  

Weekend Weather

Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum

Re: Weekend Weather

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:31 am

FRIDAY, AUGUST 31 through MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 3 (LABOR DAY):
This looks like a weekend where summer is starting to move into autumn. High temperatures for our area will be low to mid 90's (low to mid 30's, Celsius) with some chance for rain, especially on Monday. Winds will generally be light. On Friday, light south. On Saturday, mostly light west, with a bit of southwest in Alamogordo. Sunday, light west again, with the chance for rain getting bigger. On Monday the winds are quite light, mostly south. About a 50 percent chance for rain and thunderstorms on that day. With all that in mind, on Friday I'd say that Dry Canyon is your best bet. On Saturday, Dry Canyon, Agave Hill and Nelson's launch should all be possible, and the Little Floridas as well. Sunday looks OK for Dry Canyon, possibly La Luz, maybe Mag Rim, and the El Paso sites. Little Floridas should work again, too, if it doesn't rain. Monday, watch out for thunderstorms! If they don't appear, then Dry Canyon should work OK, and maybe Magdalena Rim. It looks too southerly for Agave Hill and Nelson's (sorry, Steve). In summary, I think there's airtime to be had this weekend, but the rainy season is not yet over. Have fun and be safe if you go!
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:55 am

FRIDAY, SEPT. 7 through SUNDAY, SEPT. 9, 2018:
It looks like a fairly nice weekend for flying, despite our current (Thursday) wet circumstances. The moisture will clear out on Friday afternoon and evening, leaving fairly dry, reasonably cool (high temps in the high 80's F) and light wind conditions. Alamogordo will see light & variable winds on Friday, light west on Saturday and Sunday. The rest of our area (Deming, Las Cruces and El Paso) should see light east on Friday and Saturday, light southwest on Sunday (maybe more westerly in El Paso). I would recommend flying Dry Canyon on Friday and Saturday. You can also try Torrey Paso and Anapra those days. On Sunday it looks like Dry Canyon, La Luz, Little Floridas, Agave Hill, Nelson's Launch and Magdalena Rim should all be launchable - though maybe a bit light for soaring. It should be pleasant, with the temperatures we'll be having. Again, I'll be out of town this weekend, without my glider, but I wish good safe flights to all who want to try it. Post up how it goes!
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:28 pm

FRIDAY, SEPT. 14 through SUNDAY, SEPT. 16:
Looks like the monsoon season is done for the moment. No rain, pleasant (warm!) temperatures, and very light winds all weekend. Friday, light southwest in Alamogordo, light east/southeast everywhere else in our area. Same for Saturday as well. On Sunday, winds are almost calm, all over the area. Maybe more south/southwest in Las Cruces. I'd say, if you want to fly this weekend, that Dry Canyon might be your best bet, but nothing else looks possible. Just not enough wind. Don't worry, we'll be getting some better times, but this weekend really doesn't look good for soaring.
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:39 pm

FRIDAY, SEPT. 21 through SUNDAY, SEPT. 23, 2018:
The Autumnal Equinox starts us off with clearing skies (we're supposed to have rain on Thursday) and easterly winds. Cooler temperatures should prevail this weekend, too - high's in the low 80's F instead of 90 and above. I don't expect any precipitation, either. Winds start out east/northeast on Friday, light to moderate, then get a lot more variable across the area. Light west in Alamogordo, light east in El Paso and Las Cruces, and about the same in Deming. Sunday, light west in Alamo, light east in EP, light south in Las Cruces, light south/southeast in Deming. I'd recommend checking on the winds in Las Cruces on Friday and seeing if Volcanic Peak is flyable, early. Maybe Torrey Paso or Anapra will work for PG's. On Saturday Dry Canyon could be a possibility, and again, maybe Torrey Paso will be flyable. On Sunday the winds are pretty light for hang gliders at Magdalena Rim, but PG's might take a try at it. And Dry Canyon, even though light, might be worth a try in post-frontal conditions. I'm sure we'll see some stronger winds as the autumn gets going, but for the moment it's a time for scratching in the light stuff. Friday might be full for me, but give me a call if you want to go out one of the weekend days. And keep our Columbus Day Gathering in mind - only two weekends away now!
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:18 pm

FRIDAY, SEPT. 28 through SUNDAY, SEPT. 30, 2018:
Autumn is coming in cautiously, still yearning for the calm and sultry days of summer. It looks like another almost-calm weekend for us. No rain, high temperatures about 90 degrees F (33 Celsius) and no interest in us by the jetstream whatsoever. Light winds everywhere, all weekend. In Alamogordo, light southwest on Friday and most of Saturday, then light SE in the evening, followed by light SW with a calm evening on Sunday. In El Paso, light SW on Friday, light S/SE on Saturday and Sunday, and calm on Sunday evening. In Las Cruces, Friday is light S/SW in the late afternoon, light S/SE on Saturday morning with light S/SW in the afternoon; on Sunday in Las Cruces it does the same. Deming looks nice on Friday, with light W/SW winds, then it turns light SE for the rest of the weekend. My flying recommendations: On Friday you can fly Dry Canyon, La Luz, Agave Hill, Nelson's Launch, Magdalena Rim late afternoon, and the Little Floridas most of the day. On Saturday, fewer options: Dry Canyon and La Luz, towing at Exit 116 early on and PG's at Mag Rim later in the day (pretty light for soaring HG's). On Sunday, Dry Canyon and maybe La Luz could be the only sites with wind worth launching in, and it sure won't be a strong wind. I should be up for some flying (we may get a visiting pilot from Hobbs this weekend) on both Saturday and Sunday. Let's hope for better conditions next weekend, when we have our Columbus Day Gathering in Alamogordo. Keep me posted if you feel like flying somewhere, and be safe! Better days are coming...
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Nate » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:15 am

Gagging to see what the crystal ball has to say about Columbus Day weekend....

Wasn't planning on a road trip but if Demo Daze in Wharton, TX is weathered out...... :think: :shifty:
Nate
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:25 pm

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 5 through MONDAY, OCTOBER 8, 2018:
This is the weekend for the Columbus Day Gathering in Alamogordo, and it does not look unflyable. You may want to be launching early, though, most days. Overall, I expect it to be warm (high temperatures in the 80 to 90 degree range) dry (the rains should pass north of us, and east) and windy from the southwest. Or at least windier than we've been seeing lately. Friday, Saturday and Monday expect winds from the southwest, moderate to strong, topping out in the afternoon at 12 to 15 on the ground, all over our area. Sunday, same direction, but a good deal stronger. Probably, that day, about 18-20 mph in El Paso on the ground, and stronger elsewhere, especially in Deming and Las Cruces. On Friday, then, you should find it flyable at Dry Canyon, La Luz, Agave Hill, Nelson's Launch and Magdalena Rim. Just time it carefully so you grab the wind you want before it gets stronger. I would also look for a possible glassoff at Dry Canyon, as those often happen on fairly windy days. Saturday, more of the same. Sunday, the jetstream finally comes in with a full commitment, and I expect the afternoon winds to be a blowout - there might be some flying earlier, though, at Dry Canyon and La Luz. Agave Hill and Nelson's Launch should see milder winds than elsewhere, but those are PG sites and it might get too strong for PG's even there. Monday looks a good deal milder in the forecasts, with winds in the 10-12 mph range on the ground from the south-southwest in Alamogordo, making Dry Canyon a good place to fly. In summary, I think we'll have a pretty good fly-in, especially if everyone is willing to do something fun on the ground (a hike to Bridalveil Falls, for instance, or visiting Cloudcroft) on Sunday. Hope to see a lot of you in the Cox Field LZ on Friday and Saturday, at very least!
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:12 am

Anyone got any thoughts on the weekend? As usual us Albuquerque-area folks are thinking of taking a trip, and are deciding between going north or south. Might the Guads work out?

Dry canyon delivered as usual last weekend! Had to wait for things to settle down on Saturday but still had an awesome golden sunset flight in fat lift and calm conditions. Thanks for a great fly-in, Robin.
Andy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:14 pm

That is strange, Andy. I posted my usual weekend forecast this morning to this site - now it isn't here! So, here it is again. I could be available as a driver at Dry Canyon late Saturday (or Finis might want to - call me for his number) and Sunday looks good for Magdalena Rim if you'd like to fly there again - I'll be free after noon. Keep me in the loop! 575-541=5744 at home.
-Robin

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 12 through SUNDAY, OCTOBER 14:
This looks like a pretty good weekend for aviation in our area. We can expect some rain on Friday night, but otherwise the odds for precipitation look low. High temperatures should be in the low 70's F (low 20's C) and winds should be moderate - I don't see any blowouts coming to our area, and the jetstream should be way up north this weekend. Friday, winds look to be light and variable in Alamogordo, light E/NE in El Paso and Deming, and maybe light S/SW in Las Cruces. Magdalena Rim might be your best bet for a flight that day, if it doesn't rain in the late afternoon. On Saturday we get west and southwest winds around the area, moderate in strength - about 10 to 15 mph. Dry Canyon, La Luz, Little Floridas, Agave Hill and Nelson's Launch should all be possible sites for the day. (It's a little westerly for good soaring at Mag Rim.) On Sunday, most of the area sees moderate southwest winds again, 10 to 15 mph. The Saturday sites should all be worth a visit, and Mag Rim as well. It should be a beautiful day, but you might fly early if you're using a paraglider. Training at the Sod Farms should be good both Saturday and Sunday, too. Have a great time, folks - we've earned it! And be safe...
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:30 pm

Ah we ended up having nice (but extremely cold) flights up at Villa Grove. Sounds like we missed out on some good soaring down there though. Well, I'll keep an eye on the weather. I remember last winter lots of the southern sites were pretty dependable.
Andy
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Rio Grande Soaring Association