RGSA Web Site: http://rgsa.info  

Weekend Weather

Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum

Re: Weekend Weather

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:31 am

FRIDAY, AUGUST 31 through MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 3 (LABOR DAY):
This looks like a weekend where summer is starting to move into autumn. High temperatures for our area will be low to mid 90's (low to mid 30's, Celsius) with some chance for rain, especially on Monday. Winds will generally be light. On Friday, light south. On Saturday, mostly light west, with a bit of southwest in Alamogordo. Sunday, light west again, with the chance for rain getting bigger. On Monday the winds are quite light, mostly south. About a 50 percent chance for rain and thunderstorms on that day. With all that in mind, on Friday I'd say that Dry Canyon is your best bet. On Saturday, Dry Canyon, Agave Hill and Nelson's launch should all be possible, and the Little Floridas as well. Sunday looks OK for Dry Canyon, possibly La Luz, maybe Mag Rim, and the El Paso sites. Little Floridas should work again, too, if it doesn't rain. Monday, watch out for thunderstorms! If they don't appear, then Dry Canyon should work OK, and maybe Magdalena Rim. It looks too southerly for Agave Hill and Nelson's (sorry, Steve). In summary, I think there's airtime to be had this weekend, but the rainy season is not yet over. Have fun and be safe if you go!
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:55 am

FRIDAY, SEPT. 7 through SUNDAY, SEPT. 9, 2018:
It looks like a fairly nice weekend for flying, despite our current (Thursday) wet circumstances. The moisture will clear out on Friday afternoon and evening, leaving fairly dry, reasonably cool (high temps in the high 80's F) and light wind conditions. Alamogordo will see light & variable winds on Friday, light west on Saturday and Sunday. The rest of our area (Deming, Las Cruces and El Paso) should see light east on Friday and Saturday, light southwest on Sunday (maybe more westerly in El Paso). I would recommend flying Dry Canyon on Friday and Saturday. You can also try Torrey Paso and Anapra those days. On Sunday it looks like Dry Canyon, La Luz, Little Floridas, Agave Hill, Nelson's Launch and Magdalena Rim should all be launchable - though maybe a bit light for soaring. It should be pleasant, with the temperatures we'll be having. Again, I'll be out of town this weekend, without my glider, but I wish good safe flights to all who want to try it. Post up how it goes!
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:28 pm

FRIDAY, SEPT. 14 through SUNDAY, SEPT. 16:
Looks like the monsoon season is done for the moment. No rain, pleasant (warm!) temperatures, and very light winds all weekend. Friday, light southwest in Alamogordo, light east/southeast everywhere else in our area. Same for Saturday as well. On Sunday, winds are almost calm, all over the area. Maybe more south/southwest in Las Cruces. I'd say, if you want to fly this weekend, that Dry Canyon might be your best bet, but nothing else looks possible. Just not enough wind. Don't worry, we'll be getting some better times, but this weekend really doesn't look good for soaring.
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:39 pm

FRIDAY, SEPT. 21 through SUNDAY, SEPT. 23, 2018:
The Autumnal Equinox starts us off with clearing skies (we're supposed to have rain on Thursday) and easterly winds. Cooler temperatures should prevail this weekend, too - high's in the low 80's F instead of 90 and above. I don't expect any precipitation, either. Winds start out east/northeast on Friday, light to moderate, then get a lot more variable across the area. Light west in Alamogordo, light east in El Paso and Las Cruces, and about the same in Deming. Sunday, light west in Alamo, light east in EP, light south in Las Cruces, light south/southeast in Deming. I'd recommend checking on the winds in Las Cruces on Friday and seeing if Volcanic Peak is flyable, early. Maybe Torrey Paso or Anapra will work for PG's. On Saturday Dry Canyon could be a possibility, and again, maybe Torrey Paso will be flyable. On Sunday the winds are pretty light for hang gliders at Magdalena Rim, but PG's might take a try at it. And Dry Canyon, even though light, might be worth a try in post-frontal conditions. I'm sure we'll see some stronger winds as the autumn gets going, but for the moment it's a time for scratching in the light stuff. Friday might be full for me, but give me a call if you want to go out one of the weekend days. And keep our Columbus Day Gathering in mind - only two weekends away now!
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to Rio Grande Soaring Association