Re: Guads President's Day W/E

Postby Nate » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:19 pm

I am sure someone got high, but did anyone fly??? :srofl:
Nate
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:20 pm

Hi, folks. Just about two weeks before the Presidents Day weekend and flying at the Guadalupes. I'll keep everyone posted on my take about the conditions. Let's hope for warm weather and gentle west winds!
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Nate » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:29 pm

Way early to start looking at weather but not too early to line up that kitchen pass for the Guads 2020!!

The Friday of that weekend is Valentine's Day! :idea: :!:
Nate
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Nate » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:20 am

It is too far out to put much stock into a wx but the long range looks like there will be wx that doesn't include the snowpocalypse in the Guads for Pday.

While it is too early to read the weather, it isn't too early to start coughing at work and do those extras around the house to line up a kitchen pass for a weekend that includes Valentines day.

I will be out working in Midland and Artesia before heading there, hopefully with time (and weather) to fly on Friday.

Let's Fly!!
Nate
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:31 pm

I agree, Nate - next Friday, Feb. 14, looks pretty good for the Guadalupes. I'll provide more predictions as the weekend draws closer. I might just make it...
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:01 pm

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 7, 2020:
I have a long range forecast now for the Guadalupes next weekend. High temperatures will be about typical for winter in Southern New Mexico - about 50 F (10 C) and a bit warmer on Saturday, then about 50 F again on Sunday. Winds on Friday, Feb. 14th are forecast to be southwest, right into the launch, about 10 to 12 mph. That's just about perfect. (Why? The forecasted wind speeds are usually lower than actual.) On Saturday, about the same, then Sunday they get much stronger, probably about 20+ mph. It looks like a flyable weekend, for both PG and HG, and not too cold for camping. Keep it in mind!
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:45 am

MONDAY, FEB. 10, 2020:
Another long range forecast. It still looks pretty good for the Guadalupes. West & southwest winds are predicted through the weekend. Temperatures should be about normal for this time of year, with highs in the 50 to 60 degree range. Wind strength should be light to moderate on Friday, stronger on Saturday and Sunday. The jetstream's main loop comes through possibly on Monday. So, at this point in time, I'd say the Guadalupes are worth a try - and that hasn't been true every year, by any means. I plan to be out there by either late Thursday night or by Friday morning. New potential pilot Dan Simpson plans to convoy out with me, and there are other RGSA pilots who have expressed an interest in the expedition. See you there, I hope! (That means you, Nate Wreyford...)
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Nate » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:26 am

I'm leaving predawn Wednesday for work in Midland on Wednesday. Thursday I'll be leaving the refinery in Artesia around noon. I need to stop at Walmart to stock up supllies. Then I need to stop for diesel, and stop again for diesel before heading out to the edge of the earth. Robin will be happy to hear I'm bringing a radio instead of my normal cell phone communication (it works great in populated, non-public land state of TX).

The WX looks good. At least not blown out. I look forward to some great sunsets and catching up with folks I haven't seen in too long!!!

Nate
210-508-3655
Nate
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Nate » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:56 am

Howdy from NM! Heading out there this afternoon!
Nate
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:43 pm

Saturday, Feb. 15, 2020
It was nice to see Nate at the Guads this weekend. Charlie and Vanessa, from Austin, also joined us in their deluxe camper van - thanks again for your hospitality, both of you! I had a great time visiting with those three. Nate flew twice. On Friday he launched about 1:00 pm, and flew for an hour and a half, and today he flew for two hours and 40 minutes after launching about 11:00 am. Plenty of wind both days, with mostly clear skies, and Nate top landed both times. We ran out of time for second flights each day, after I picked him up, so I didn't fly. The weather was pleasant, the company was great, and it was wonderful to see that part of the world again. I'd deem this weekend a success. How about everyone else?
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Rio Grande Soaring Association