RGSA Web Site: http://rgsa.info  

Guads President's Day W/E

Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum

Re: Guads President's Day W/E

Postby Nate » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:35 am

It was very fun. More importantly for me, the vastness and remoteness of the Guadalupes recalibrates my soul. Snow, elk, flying, it was a full value weekend.

I will add more video. Unfortunately, that was my first go at the 360 camera so NOW I know the setting to keep it from turning off after 10 minutes. I do have video from my normal Gopro on my downtube. Including my new downtube :srofl:

This flight, https://www.paraglidingforum.com/leonar ... ht/2485034 was probably my best of the weekend. I had never been to the south end of the Rim though I have often seen gliders venture that way. The crinkles on the ridge always kept me at a distance. It was nice to make it down there, but look at that track, notice I got to 9700ft flying straight into the valley. Help me out here, is that wave lift off the Brokeoffs? Streeted lift?

More video and tracks to follow. I have to travel for work again this week.

Thank you Robin. A lot of my great flying would never have happened without people like you and Chuck. Thank you for the culture of safety and reminding me not to rush.

Nate
Nate
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:49 am

Great Flight Nate!!!      :thumbup:

Nates_Flight.png
Nates_Flight.png (303.29 KiB) Viewed 4018 times

Nate wrote:Thank you Robin. A lot of my great flying would never have happened without people like you and Chuck. Thank you for the culture of safety and reminding me not to rush.

Salute to Robin, Chuck, and the RGSA!

:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Nate » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:13 am

It is that time again!

I will not make it this year. A lot of factors conspiring against me this year. Weather just part of it. It is a great place to camp and take in +100 mile sunsets.

On the note of WX, today and Thursday look like the best days of the week. Sat and Sun look frosty. Sunday looks like snow.

Have fun! I am planning on a Guads trip in late March or April (can you say XC).
Nate
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:45 pm

Hi, Nate. I am in agreement with you this year. The Presidents Day weekend weather is not looking good. Tony Conger, Chris Chaney, et. al., would like to try for sometime in March or April if the weather is cooperative then. Keep in touch about it! Freezing while the wind howls is just not that much fun...
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Nate » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:30 am

I'm going to miss seeing all of y'all but the upside is hopefully I'll see y'all next month or into April.
Nate
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Nate » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:42 am

Sounds like this fly in is officially dead. It was always more a Texas event than a NM one it seems. Does anyone have interest in this year?
Nate
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:05 pm

Nate wrote:Sounds like this fly in is officially dead. It was always more a Texas event than a NM one it seems. Does anyone have interest in this year?

Hi Nate,

Events don't really die ... they just go dormant until someone starts them up again. The first Otto Lilienthal meet in Los Angeles was held on May 23, 1971. It was dormant for nearly 40 years until we started holding them again in 2011. We've held one almost every year since.

It's just up to the people and finding enough interest. I hope the Guads President's Day Week End ... will fly again.  :thumbup:
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:24 pm

It seems every year even if the forecast is bad pilot show up.
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:32 pm

Friday February 18, 2022 until Monday February 21, 2022 is President’s Day weekend.
Long range forecasts are so short on accuracy. This weekend is so far away that pilots wanting to go
could be checking on equipment and make a list of stuff that will have themselves
ready. Having a tire repair kit and tire pump along or a couple cans of Fix-A-Flat have
made heroes and geniuses of some pilots. Some have even thrown a second mounted
tire in their vehicles. Do not arrive low on gas - -
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Nate » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:22 pm

Well, we are a week out. Long range WX looks mild. I know of 4 pilots who are planning on flying the Guads next weekend, President's Day.

I have a funeral on Thursday but plan on showing up LATE Thursday or spending the night on the way and showing up early Friday.

Nate
210-508-3655
Nate
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Rio Grande Soaring Association