RGSA Web Site: http://rgsa.info  

Guads President's Day W/E

Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum

Re: Guads President's Day W/E

Postby RobinHastings » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:46 pm

(For travelling out to the Guadalupes)
DIRECTIONS: From US Hwy 285, about 10 miles north of Carlsbad, NM pick up Hwy 137, The Queen Highway, and follow it about 30 miles or more to the tiny village of Queen, NM. Keep going, west and south, about 7 miles further to Rim Road 67, "National Livestock Road" (on Google Earth, now designated 413). It's a good, 2WD dirt road; follow it north about 9 miles to the campsite (on the east side) and the launch site (on the west side, just south of the camping site). There is a top landing field just east of the campsites. To reach the valley floor, though, for pickup, do this: Go back to Hwy 137, and follow that pavement south-southwest about 5.5 miles to a dirt road leading north into the valley. Follow that about 13 miles (some parts might be 4WD, depending on maintenance) to the area where we usually land.
NOTE: This is a remote site! Fill up your tank in Carlsbad or Artesia, bring extra gasoline, water and other supplies, and include an extra spare tire if you really want to prepare for everything. It is a fun place to fly, though, and there is an annual gathering there on Presidents Day weekend in February.
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Guads President's Day W/E (with edit)

Postby Bill Cummings » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:02 pm

RGSA/Hawks, pilots and Drivers,
One weather reporter is saying good on Thursday for the Guadalupe Rim NW of Carlsbad, NM.
Northerly flow for a few days after.
I'm still hoping to find a forecaster that is saying WSW which is best for the Rim.
Jan it might be a good idea to take along your winch/reel for the road at the bottom.
I may bring my static line outfit, (1,600' line)

I had it in mind to have along the BT4 (transport rack for set up HGers.)
I was thinking that a pilot landing on top could carry out to the rim road where the set up glider could be transported two to three miles back to the launch without the need to bag the glider for transport.

I heard somewhere that the ranger had said, motor vehicles driving into the field two miles north of launch is not allowed.
But one more mile to the north of the top field is, Lawyer Road, that is a good legal (no pun.) landing spot. (BT4 should work for that.)

Whether tow or foot launch a pilot must be on top of their flying game since a cell phone call for emergency assistance is usually very spotty.
Calls from the bottom may require a satellite phone. On top, standing in a pickup box, parked over the metal cattle guard a few miles north of launch, and after eight tries, (Verizon.), I made a call with no bars showing, but the call dropped before I could say, "Good bye!" SERIOUSLY! (so stop smiling.)

Don't pass up your last chance to top up on gas. Depending on which way you are going FILL UP with gas at either Artesia, Carlsbad, or Dell City.
No services are close by. Check your spare tire for air. I'll be taking several cans of fix a flat, a plug kit, 12 volt air compressor and a SERIOUS mark up in price for anyone careless enough to not come prepared.
Bring everything you will need for your stay. Running back to town is a LOOOOONG WAY.
(Gee I hope I don't chicken out and stay home.)
EDIT: I'm going to have along a deep cycle battery, inverter, and power strip so radios, gopro's and cell phones can be recharged.
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:50 pm

I want to thank Mike R., again for driving and being the nose wire assistant for launching Mike E. and me.
I just finished uploading the flight Mike and I took on Sunday. The forecast was wrong and many pilots left before the wind switched and came straight into the Rim. We both were able to land (Land. That's a laugh, just watch.) on top that saved Mike R a two hour and 54 mile round trip to the bottom landing zone
Guads..PNG
Guads..PNG (354.67 KiB) Viewed 8830 times

Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:09 pm

R    G    S    A          All the way!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:45 pm

Mike E landing at the Guads..PNG
Mike E landing at the Guads..PNG (387.31 KiB) Viewed 8796 times

https://youtu.be/ghSXHF5V7gg
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Nate » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:13 pm

Well, it's that time again! 4 weeks from today. I am planning on some great sunsets, great flying, and great bonfires!

I noticed the Store/Cafe in Queen is open so I'll likely treat myself to a burger as well.

Hope to see the same cast of characters from near and far!

Nate :ugeek: ;) :wave:
Nate
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:05 pm

That's great, Nate. I'll be there, too, unless I'm coaching a gymnastics meet. I sure hope the weather's good like last year! I'll do some posts on that as soon as the date gets close enough.
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:52 pm

Nate, Robin,
I'm keeping my calendar open for the Guadalupe Rim near (near - give me a break-) Carlsbad, NM.
Ann said she may come down this way from Colorado but had mentioned flying at the Little Florida Mountains.
So If Ann would rather not brave the possible cold camping at the Guads., and opt for staying over with Terry and I
then I could drive for her at the L. Florida's. Or Dry Canyon for that matter.
I suggested also that Ann could rig her car for sleeping and not use the colder tent at the Guads.
So whatever Ann or the weather decides I may or may not be at the Guads.
I'm also supposed to email a non flyer if anyone will be going to the Guads for 2017 but I lost his card :oops: :shh:
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:07 pm

FORECAST FOR PRESIDENTS DAY WEEKEND:
For the weekend, Friday Feb. 17 to Monday, Feb. 20, the long range flying forecast looks possible but not optimal. (Should we actually believe it? You decide...) Looking at Weather Underground for that weekend, I see a modest possibility of precipitation on Saturday night, tailing off into Sunday. The GFS model shows a good deal of moisture coming in from California. Temperatures should be normal for this time of year, about 50 to 60 degrees F for highs and high 30's for lows. Winds will be west/southwest all weekend, from Thursday through Monday, which is good. In speed, though, it should be moderate to strong on Friday and Saturday, and quite strong on both Sunday and Monday. Be ready to fly early in the morning! This being long range, a lot can happen between now (Sunday night) and next weekend. I'll keep you all posted, as often as I can, but be sure to dress warm and dry if you decide to head out to the Guads this weekend.
-Robin Hastings
575-541-5744
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Nate » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:16 am

As always with a flying trip, it will be a nail biter watching weather.

It is a long term wx at this point and Wunderground conflicts with NOAA at this point. My hunch is that the wx won't be reliable until this current cold, wet passes.

One thing for sure is that sometime this weekend there will be too much wind, too little wind, some good flying between, a huge bonfire, and nice sunsets. You can let the internet ruin good winter camping and ridge flying or pack up and go. I've been '09, '10, '11, '13, and '16. In those 5 different trips, I've seen too much wind, too little wind, brutal cold, and sweaty hot afternoons. Every trip I've managed to log multiple hours in the air but as Robin says, be ready to fly early - if it blows out, it often lays down in the afternoon/evening, but it often just blows harder.

I'll be working on projects in Midland this week and heading west for some Friday Flyday action.

Nate
Nate
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Rio Grande Soaring Association