RGSA Web Site: http://rgsa.info  

Magdalena Rim NW of Las Cruces NM (USA)

Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum

Re: Magdalena Rim NW of Las Cruces NM (USA)

Postby RobinHastings » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:53 pm

January 6, 2018. The first good flying of this brand-new year! A good omen, we can only hope. Not to say, thought, that it was perfect. Strong winds kept Wyatt Lines from setting up, and yours truly never took his glider off the truck. But otherwise, the day went pretty well. High temperatures around 55 degrees, I'd guess, and winds out of the southwest and west/southwest, 18 to 25 at launch. Lee Boone came up from El Paso (bringing his PPG wing) and our good friends Andy Balk and Brian Reindl, from the SSA, came south with their Wills Wing U2 hang gliders. I guided the latter two to the launch, assisted ably by Lukas Baumer, who is staying with us in Las Cruces for the next three months. (His dad Martin used to fly F4 Phantoms for the Luftwaffe - and hang gliders at Dry Canyon on his own time.) Andy and Brian launched at 2:15 and at 2:30, resepectively, and Lee launched around 2:45 pm, MST. They all had good soaring flights, getting 500 feet or more above launch and plenty of airtime. Andy had almost two hours in the air, Brian around 1 hour and 45 minutes. Lee had close to an hour, too, but the strengthening winds impelled him to respect the laws of physics and put it down before Nature slapped it down. After everyone had packed up and then retrieved their vehicles, we finally left the Arroyo LZ, and headed back to Las Cruces. There Lukas, I and my wife Nancy were treated like royalty by our visitors, and hosted to a good Thai meal in a Mesilla restaurant. Great food and company! In the Time of the Great Freeze over most of the country, it's grand to have a flying day as nice as this one.
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to Rio Grande Soaring Association