RGSA Web Site: http://rgsa.info  

Magdalena Rim NW of Las Cruces NM (USA)

Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum

Re: Magdalena Rim NW of Las Cruces NM (USA)

Postby RobinHastings » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:26 pm

Very nice, Bill! I did not catch that bounce of the vario in the video until you picked it up; that was some rough air, on the lee side of the peak. Thanks for making the flight possible. I'll be feeling good about that landing for weeks! I discovered in my truck that emergency boot that you wisely bring along on our trips to that site. I'll bring it over to you at first opportunity. We've had some real good flying, the last ten days!
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:17 pm

Robin, On your Matt's Mountain video I cut a post-it-note strip an eighth of and inch wide out of the sticky part and attached it to my Dell screen along your spine at launch as a center reference.
Cut post-it-note strip and align with your spine for reference..JPG
Cut post-it-note strip and align with your spine for reference..JPG (41.8 KiB) Viewed 6942 times

Then I selected slow motion and watched your flight. It seems obvious to me that your U2 has a right turn that needs to be tuned out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gettiI1aW4

Notice too that you have to high side when doing right turns to keep the right turn from steepening -- but--- you don't have to high side left turns.
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Mag Rim NW of Las Cruces NM, USA 11.16.16

Postby Bill Cummings » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:54 pm

Postby RobinHastings » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:42 pm
Wednesday evening, Nov. 16:
It was a reasonably successful day, I think. Bill got to fly for over an hour in his Wills Wing Sport 2. He had a smooth launch and an excellent landing. Steve was still waiting on launch for the winds to calm a little, when I left from there for my truck at 2:50 pm. Bill landed at 3:50, I think, and Steve was still waiting, at last sighting. (From the LZ, there is no direct radio communication to the launch at Matt's Mountain.) I left the LZ as soon as we had the Sport 2 on Bill's truck, so I will await his account (and videos and photos, I hope!) of how the rest of the afternoon was spent.
-Robin

Steve was able to launch when the wind died down and he landed on top after over twenty minutes paragliding.
I went back up after my flight. Thanks Robin for helping me up and ---down :?:
I started work on the video below at 9am then lost some work and with Steve's help over the phone I was able to do it right from scratch the second try.
So between editing, failure, re-editing, and uploading it's been 12 hours on this #@%&! video. (Hour and six minutes boiled down to about five minutes.
There was a lot of back and forth on the ridge that I took out.
https://youtu.be/oDphlwnlbV0

Mag Rim set up 11-16-16.JPG
Mag Rim set up 11-16-16.JPG (63.79 KiB) Viewed 6923 times

Mag Rim LZ Bill C on final..JPG
Mag Rim LZ Bill C on final..JPG (30.76 KiB) Viewed 6923 times

Mag Rim Steve Pic from LZ 11-16-16.JPG
Mag Rim Steve Pic from LZ 11-16-16.JPG (23.61 KiB) Viewed 6923 times
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:40 am

Very nicely done, Bill! The music really adds a lot to the video. It's pretty cool to put in Steve Crye's video clips as well. It was a day to remember.
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:45 pm

FRIDAY, DEC. 2, 2016:
Bill and I had a pretty nice day at Matt's Mountain. The wind was moderate at launch, the temperature was pleasant, and the skies were blue where we didn't have cumulus and higher clouds. (We expect some rain tomorrow.) I had my Wills Wing U2 set up by noon, and launched about 12:10 pm MST. I did some passes across the hill, and got up to about 50 or 100 feet above the launch. But the lift I used was sporadic, and I had to head down the ridge to the LZ after a few minutes. I found some lift along the way, and a small thermal over the Arroyo LZ, but nothing that did more than slow down my sink. I finally came in for a reasonably good, southwest approach, and landed right in front of a mesquite bush. No problems! I had 8 minutes of airtime, according to Bill's GoPro camera. We were packed up and home by 2:30 pm. A short flight it was, but a great day not to be grading homework and lab reports.
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Mag Rim NW of Las Cruces NM 12/02/2016

Postby Bill Cummings » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:46 pm

RobinHastings wrote:FRIDAY, DEC. 2, 2016:
Bill and I had a pretty nice day at Matt's Mountain. The wind was moderate at launch, the temperature was pleasant, and the skies were blue where we didn't have cumulus and higher clouds. (We expect some rain tomorrow.) I had my Wills Wing U2 set up by noon, and launched about 12:10 pm MST. I did some passes across the hill, and got up to about 50 or 100 feet above the launch. But the lift I used was sporadic, and I had to head down the ridge to the LZ after a few minutes. I found some lift along the way, and a small thermal over the Arroyo LZ, but nothing that did more than slow down my sink. I finally came in for a reasonably good, southwest approach, and landed right in front of a mesquite bush. No problems! I had 8 minutes of airtime, according to Bill's GoPro camera. We were packed up and home by 2:30 pm. A short flight it was, but a great day not to be grading homework and lab reports.
-Robin

https://youtu.be/mYMh8S1Vrns
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:41 am

Thanks, Bill! That's a well-edited video. I don't feel so incompetent now. "When you sky out, it's because you ARE so good. When you sink out, it's BAD CONDITIONS..."
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Magdalena Rim NW of Las Cruces NM 1-3-2017

Postby Bill Cummings » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:44 pm

Ann posted her flight to YouTube of January 03, 2017 at Matt's Mountain (AKA Magdalena Rim.)
I'll put up a link and embed it here too.
Before we could return to the Little Florida Mountains on the 4th (Wednesday) Ann saw the winter storm warning for her home area and decided to get home before she was snowed out. Usually one would prefer to be stuck where it's warm rather than be snowed in where "Cabin Fever," can take hold of oneself. When her hubby starts swish, swish, swishing across the carpet in his socks :roll: or clearing his throat way too frequently :thumbdown: one can only take so much of that :crazy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_IEZwtDm0U
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Magdalena Rim NW of Las Cruces NM 1-3-2017

Postby Bill Cummings » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:09 pm

Bill Cummings wrote:Ann posted her flight to YouTube of January 03, 2017 at Matt's Mountain (AKA Magdalena Rim.)
I'll put up a link and embed it here too.
Before we could return to the Little Florida Mountains on the 4th (Wednesday) Ann saw the winter storm warning for her home area and decided to get home before she was snowed out. Usually one would prefer to be stuck where it's warm rather than be snowed in where "Cabin Fever," can take hold of oneself. When her hubby starts swish, swish, swishing across the carpet in his socks :roll: or clearing his throat way too frequently :thumbdown: one can only take so much of that :crazy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_IEZwtDm0U

Ann Dunlap at Mag Rim LZ.JPG
Ann Dunlap at Mag Rim LZ.JPG (47.64 KiB) Viewed 6805 times

We watched closely as Ann demonstrated an easier way to install the fiberglass tip wands and fold the sail up with less wrinkling.
My next set up at Volcanic Peak I tried it and it was WAY easier to get the tip wands in.
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby flyupland » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:51 am

A fun and educational day! Thanks so much for your help Bill and Robin! Stoked for more.
flyupland
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Rio Grande Soaring Association