RGSA Web Site: http://rgsa.info  

Dry Canyon Alamogordo, NM (USA)

Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum

Re: Dry Canyon Alamogordo, NM (USA)

Postby RobinHastings » Wed May 30, 2018 7:50 pm

May 30, 2018: I had a good flight at Dry Canyon today. Fred Ballard, a Hang 5 from the Sylmar hang gliding club, was in Alamogordo with his wife Nancy. (She has done a whole lot of tandems with Fred, who often does two or three a day at Kagel Mountain in California.) Fred didn't want to fly a strange site on unfamiliar equipment, but he was quite happy to drive for me, so I took my U2-160 to Dry and launched about 11:00 am. It was a beautiful, typical Dry Canyon day, with clear skies, abundant thermals, and not too much wind. I had a very nice 45-minute flight there, getting up to 8000 feet MSL, and had an excellent landing in the Cox Field LZ. Fred, Nancy and I all had lunch at the Empire Buffet in Alamogordo. They're staying with her sister Irma in Gordo, but will catch the Amtrak back to LA in Deming on Thursday (tomorrow). Good folks, and it would sure be fun to fly with Fred when I next get out to Los Angeles. (fredsclassics@hotmail.com)
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:21 pm

JUNE 8, 2018:
Hi, everybody. I just had a nice talk with Veronica Ortega, with the Alamogordo Community Services Department. Alamogordo is going to fence off the Cox Field LZ that we use, from June 18 until July 16. They want to use the LZ for an Independence Day celebration and also try to keep the ATV's and trucks from doing donuts in the field, I guess long enough for the grass to recover. The fence might even stay there permanently. (With gates, I assume.) If that happens, it would still be our field to use, but we'd have to adjust our landing approaches to account for it - not a big deal, it's still an enormous field. (By the way, she told me that the trenches around the field were put in to counter those very ATV's. The riders keep filling in the trenches with gravel so they can run all over the field. If you see any fill-in, please use a shovel or something to remove it.) (The bridges that Mike put in across the trenches are not a problem.) Veronica's phone number is 575-439-4324, and she's quite a nice lady to speak with. I may ask if they would fill in the ruts around the runway near the shade structure.
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:19 am

FRIDAY, AUGUST 3, 2018:
This was a good day for flying, it turns out. Zac Majors with his wife Moja, Kip Stone, Linda Salamone and Patrick-from-Oregon all came to Dry Canyon and flew with me. Both Moja and Linda are pilots, but they chose not to fly. Conditions were typical for summer: Thunderstorms building off to the east and to the north, and kind of hazy, with winds at launch pretty light. Zac was first off, with Kip and then Patrick also launching perfectly, between 3:00 and 4:00 pm. I took off about 4:00. Whereas the other three had superb soaring flights, with Zac heading XC along Hwy 82 (perfect landings at Cox Field for Kip and Patrick) I had a sled ride and plummet, barely making the LZ. I was glad to do even that! The winds were turning from southwest to northwest, which may have had something to do with it. It worked out OK for everyone, at the end of the day. I saw our friend Finis Miller briefly, before I headed home to Las Cruces and the others headed east to Big Spring, Texas, for the towing competition there.
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:44 am

Update on the flying of August 3rd: Zac Majors was chased by Moja along Highway 82 east past Cloudcroft and Mayhill, to where Zac finally landed at Elk, New Mexico in the flatter terrain on the way to Artesia. It was a distance of about 50 miles, by my reckoning, and in all my 35 years of flying Dry Canyon, I can't recall anyone taking that route. Zac stayed between 10 and 12 thousand feet MSL on the flight. Following the pickup, he and Moja joined Patrick Kruse, Kip Stone and Linda Salamone at the Big Spring aerotow competition in Texas. Great people, all of them - and the ones who flew were great pilots, too.
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to Rio Grande Soaring Association