RGSA Web Site: http://rgsa.info  

Little Florida Mountain, Deming NM (USA)

Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum

Re: Little Florida Mountain, Deming NM (USA)

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:19 am

Nice flying Juan!!      :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Bill, I really enjoy the way you edit your videos. I like the reference points (Dragon Ridge and the Mixing Bowl), and I enjoy the context information (50 minutes into a one hour and 5 minute flight).

I'm glad we at least found a "work-around" for your site access problems.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:09 pm

Friday, November 23, 2018:
Juan Mira had yet another long flight at the Little Floridas today. Pretty soon, he's going to start thinking this is our premier RGSA site! Conditions were ideal. Winds were W-SW, coming in about 15 mph with gusts to 20. Skies were blue, with some high cirrus, and temperature was about 60 degrees F at the launch. Juan took off beautifully at 11:40 am MST. He went left, rising up a bit, disappeared into the Bowl for a minute, then reappeared, about even or slightly below the launch. No problem, though - he turned at the launch point and immediately started going up. After two or three passes, and 200 feet of altitude gain, I figured he could handle it in his Vision Mark IV, and I started driving on down the hill. (Man, that road is rough!) When I reached the landing zone, about 1:00 pm, Juan was still in the air. He stayed between 200 and 1000 feet over the mountain for the following hour and a half. Then he decided that his arms were getting tired, and he finally headed out to the LZ where I waited by the flag. His landing, going due west into 10 mph of wind, was perfect. By my calculations, this new Hang 2 has had 5 hours in 6 days out here - that's an impressive airtime total! Juan is one of those naturals, like Lee Boone and Kent Robinson, that just seem to understand the air. Too bad he's living in Hobbs right now...
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:11 pm

Here's a couple of pictures of Juan Mira at the Little Floridas on Friday, Nov. 23, 2018.
-Robin

JuanMira_LittleFloridas.JPG
Juan Mira, well above the towers south of launch.
JuanMira_LittleFloridas.JPG (26.57 KiB) Viewed 7062 times

Juan_landed.JPG
After 3 hours and 15 minutes, tired but still smiling! Landed at the Little Floridas.
Juan_landed.JPG (89.39 KiB) Viewed 7062 times
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:44 pm

Robin wrote:After 3 hours and 15 minutes ...

Major Accomplishment Juan!!!

:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:
:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

From the picture, it looks like you were up there long enough to grow a beard!!    :lol:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SamKellner » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:47 pm

Good job Juan !

:wave:
Southwest Texas Hang Gliders
US Hawks Hang Gliding Assn.
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Nate » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:24 am

Juan has talent for sure. I enjoyed flying together at the Fly-IN.

Hobbs? Far away?? He should try driving to a foot launch from Texas :crazy:

Actually, if he is looking for a local site, he should go soar the Mescalero Ridge facing west, running miles and miles from Malijamar to Caprock. :thumbup:

I've seen several potential launches there but did not fly it as I couldn't find a landing option that didn't involve hiking back up the 350 ft high ridge.
Nate
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:07 am

Thanks, Nate. Where is that ridge? It sounds intriguing.

At present, Juan has his glider stored at my house, so that he can take a bus or a hitch a ride with his harness over to where the mountains are. He does not own a car.
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Nate » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:39 am

No car.... and HG, that IS DEDICATED!!!!! :shock:

I would LOVE to soar the Mescalero ridge. Basically, head east from Roswell or Artesia and it is the other side of the Pecos basin, where the cap rock picks up onto the Llano Estacado. The ridge runs north/south for 40-50 miles between Caprock, NM and Malijamar. Best part being the 25 miles between Caprock and 249 that runs east out of Hagerman, NM.

I scouted this area in 2017 when the Guads were blown. Winds were good but a being alone, a rocket ship blade wing, and a hike back up weren't jiving with site pioneering :shock: I'd want a single surface or Sport 2/3 - something with roll control. Access to launch areas were to be had north and south of 249 but much of the stretch on the top seemed to be under lock and key.

I opted for hiking the ridge and the areas below it. Judging from the ease in finding arrowheads, especially below the cap rock,there isn't much human activity out there. That basin running down to the Pecos is an endless sea of sage and sand.
Nate
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:00 pm

RobinHastings wrote:Friday, November 23, 2018:
Juan Mira had yet another long flight at the Little Floridas today. Pretty soon, he's going to start thinking this is our premier RGSA site! Conditions were ideal. Winds were W-SW, coming in about 15 mph with gusts to 20. Skies were blue, with some high cirrus, and temperature was about 60 degrees F at the launch. Juan took off beautifully at 11:40 am MST. He went left, rising up a bit, disappeared into the Bowl for a minute, then reappeared, about even or slightly below the launch. No problem, though - he turned at the launch point and immediately started going up. After two or three passes, and 200 feet of altitude gain, I figured he could handle it in his Vision Mark IV, and I started driving on down the hill. (Man, that road is rough!) When I reached the landing zone, about 1:00 pm, Juan was still in the air. He stayed between 200 and 1000 feet over the mountain for the following hour and a half. Then he decided that his arms were getting tired, and he finally headed out to the LZ where I waited by the flag. His landing, going due west into 10 mph of wind, was perfect. By my calculations, this new Hang 2 has had 5 hours in 6 days out here - that's an impressive airtime total! Juan is one of those naturals, like Lee Boone and Kent Robinson, that just seem to understand the air. Too bad he's living in Hobbs right now...
-Robin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj3sVp6MBTI
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:59 pm

Robin will do a write up and it's unusual that I post the days flying video before he does the write up.
https://youtu.be/uYjcbLFuXKU
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Rio Grande Soaring Association