RGSA Web Site: http://rgsa.info  

Static towing ground based.

Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum

Re: Static towing ground based.

Postby RobinHastings » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:55 pm

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 15, 2017:
Bill and I took advantage of unusual southeast winds to go out towing today, on the Exit 116 road. It took a while to get the Falcon 195 set up, and get camera and radios positioned on it. Once we did, though, the operation went well. We did static line towing, and Bill had four flights. One was cut short when the line encountered a mesquite bush, but no harm done to pilot, glider or tow rope. One flight was extended by some thermalling, and I took (I hope) several pictures of Bill landing. We finished and packed up right at sunset, at the end of a beautiful October day. It's great to be a pilot in New Mexico!
-Robin
User avatar
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 556
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:22 am

Re: Static towing ground based.

Postby Bill Cummings » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:55 pm

RobinHastings wrote:SUNDAY, OCTOBER 15, 2017:
Bill and I took advantage of unusual southeast winds to go out towing today, on the Exit 116 road. It took a while to get the Falcon 195 set up, and get camera and radios positioned on it. Once we did, though, the operation went well. We did static line towing, and Bill had four flights. One was cut short when the line encountered a mesquite bush, but no harm done to pilot, glider or tow rope. One flight was extended by some thermalling, and I took (I hope) several pictures of Bill landing. We finished and packed up right at sunset, at the end of a beautiful October day. It's great to be a pilot in New Mexico!
-Robin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6IFmX3t2vg
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2516
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Re: Static towing ground based.

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:38 am

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Very       ...       good,   good,   good!!!        ;)

Thanks for posting that peek into your static towing operations!!

I was hoping you'd climb out on that one flight, but it was more instructive watching the operation continue. I especially enjoyed watching the release under tension. Do you find that to be a close approximation to a weak link break?

Thanks very much for posting this!!!    :thumbup:
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
User avatar
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 4629
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:40 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Static towing ground based.

Postby JoeF » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:08 pm

Bill, I posted your excellent share and practices video in the kite-energy world. Note: "AWE" is "airborne wind energy. "AWES WECS" is airborne wind energy system wind energy converting system.
One AWE chief technical officer Dave Santos of kPower, Inc., replied to my extension of your video:

dave santos santos137@yahoo.com [AirborneWindEnergy] <AirborneWindEnergy@yahoogroups.com>

8:30 AM (10 hours ago)
to AirborneWindEnery

This is fine virtual low-complexity AWE R&D into launching methods. With only a standard automobile, but no special pay-out or tow winch required, the two man team shows how to launch a fairly large (HG) kite that could in principle rate ~30kW as an AWES WECS. A special lesson is the calm unhurried pace of perfecting safe operational practice, dealing with minor issues like a shared public road, a snagged bush, etc..

Compare this KIS practice with all the other launching methods- E-VTOL, catapults, fancy winches, LTA, etc. Simple ground-tow is a higher TRL method than any. Ironically, the COTS TRL9 automobile functions as a "simple" unit, hiding its complexity from operational demand. Ultimately, it seems the electric self-driving car will be the heart of mobile remote AWES rated at 30-100kW. This sort HG similarity-case is the right-stuff to help keep Open AWE moving right along within the pack of well-funded fully-staffed high-complexity ventures.

On ‎Friday‎, ‎October‎ ‎20‎, ‎2017‎ ‎04‎:‎26‎:‎29‎ ‎PM‎ ‎CDT, joefaust333@gmail.com [AirborneWindEnergy] <AirborneWindEnergy@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
10 15 17 Exit 116 Hang Gliding Static Tow 1,600' rope.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6IFmX3t2vg
User avatar
JoeF
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2608
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: Static towing ground based.

Postby SamKellner » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:47 am

Bob Kuczewski wrote: I especially enjoyed watching the release under tension. Do you find that to be a close approximation to a weak link break?
Thanks very much for posting this!!!


Sounds like Bob is ready for some towing ! :salute: :D

IMO a premature weak link break is < or no more than any of Bill's release in this video. Most important to not let the nose pop up, especially when low.

Bob, while doing a hang check, let someone twang a nose wire. That's about what a normal premature release/weak link break feels like, IMO.

I'd like to hear Bill's opinion though, also.

Great video Bill and Robin :clap: :clap: :clap: :salute:
Southwest Texas Hang Gliders
US Hawks Hang Gliding Assn.
Chapter #4
User avatar
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 1018
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:15 pm
Location: SW Texas

Re: Static towing ground based.

Postby Bill Cummings » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:16 pm

Bob Kuczewski wrote::clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Very       ...       good,   good,   good!!!        ;)

Thanks for posting that peek into your static towing operations!!

I was hoping you'd climb out on that one flight, but it was more instructive watching the operation continue. I especially enjoyed watching the release under tension. Do you find that to be a close approximation to a weak link break?

Thanks very much for posting this!!!    :thumbup:

Yes Bob. A close approximation.
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2516
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Re: Static towing ground based.

Postby Bill Cummings » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:35 pm

JoeF wrote:Bill, I posted your excellent share and practices video in the kite-energy world. Note: "AWE" is "airborne wind energy. "AWES WECS" is airborne wind energy system wind energy converting system.
One AWE chief technical officer Dave Santos of kPower, Inc., replied to my extension of your video:

dave santos santos137@yahoo.com [AirborneWindEnergy] <AirborneWindEnergy@yahoogroups.com>

8:30 AM (10 hours ago)
to AirborneWindEnery

This is fine virtual low-complexity AWE R&D into launching methods. With only a standard automobile, but no special pay-out or tow winch required, the two man team shows how to launch a fairly large (HG) kite that could in principle rate ~30kW as an AWES WECS. A special lesson is the calm unhurried pace of perfecting safe operational practice, dealing with minor issues like a shared public road, a snagged bush, etc..

Compare this KIS practice with all the other launching methods- E-VTOL, catapults, fancy winches, LTA, etc. Simple ground-tow is a higher TRL method than any. Ironically, the COTS TRL9 automobile functions as a "simple" unit, hiding its complexity from operational demand. Ultimately, it seems the electric self-driving car will be the heart of mobile remote AWES rated at 30-100kW. This sort HG similarity-case is the right-stuff to help keep Open AWE moving right along within the pack of well-funded fully-staffed high-complexity ventures.

On ‎Friday‎, ‎October‎ ‎20‎, ‎2017‎ ‎04‎:‎26‎:‎29‎ ‎PM‎ ‎CDT, joefaust333@gmail.com [AirborneWindEnergy] <AirborneWindEnergy@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
10 15 17 Exit 116 Hang Gliding Static Tow 1,600' rope.
ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6IFmX3t2vg

Thanks Joe for putting my post up on: "AirborneWindEnergy."
I did notice the "h," in you address link to the video was missing so I'll add it below. (Maybe Bob can fix it.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6IFmX3t2vg
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2516
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Re: Static towing ground based.

Postby Bill Cummings » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:41 pm

SamKellner wrote:
Bob Kuczewski wrote: I especially enjoyed watching the release under tension. Do you find that to be a close approximation to a weak link break?
Thanks very much for posting this!!!


Sounds like Bob is ready for some towing ! :salute: :D

IMO a premature weak link break is < or no more than any of Bill's release in this video. Most important to not let the nose pop up, especially when low.

Bob, while doing a hang check, let someone twang a nose wire. That's about what a normal premature release/weak link break feels like, IMO.

I'd like to hear Bill's opinion though, also.

Great video Bill and Robin :clap: :clap: :clap: :salute:

Yes Sam: "IMO a premature weak link break is < or no more than any of Bill's release in this video. Most important to not let the nose pop up, especially when low."
I agree with your statement.
If I remember I'll purposely, MILK THE WEAK LINK at the end of tow (tow the weak link to destruction) and get it on video.
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2516
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Re: Static towing ground based.

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:34 am

Thanks for the towing insights Sam and Bill!!

I wonder if we could get enough interest for a U.S. Hawks Tow Clinic some time?

Also, I added the "h" to Joe's URL. Thanks for catching that! :thumbup:
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
User avatar
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 4629
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:40 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Static towing ground based.

Postby SamKellner » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:46 am

Yeah!

U.S. Hawks Tow Clinic. I'm in!   yes  

Have Condor Will Travel

:thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup:

:wave:
Southwest Texas Hang Gliders
US Hawks Hang Gliding Assn.
Chapter #4
User avatar
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 1018
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:15 pm
Location: SW Texas

Previous

Return to Rio Grande Soaring Association

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests