RGSA Web Site: http://rgsa.info  

Volcanic Peak, 376' agl, Face 025º, 0.2mi Long

Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum

Re: Volcanic Peak, 376' agl, Face 025º, 0.2mi Long

Postby RobinHastings » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:07 am

Very nice work, Bill! It was a great day for flying - and, it appears, for landing. That site may be small, but in a northerly wind, it works!
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:00 pm

Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:30 am

March 29th was a turbulent day at Volcanic Peak. The forecasts looked good - winds of 10-15 mph, coming from the north and northeast. We had cumulus and blue skies. But when we got up to the launch, we certainly had winds - lots more than 15 mph. At least the direction was steady, coming right up the northeast launch. Bill and I were all set up by 1:15, but then we had to wait until the 35 mph gusts settled down. When they did - they really did. I launched in a 15 mph cycle, and it just wasn't enough to keep me aloft in my Wills Wing U2. Bill drove down as soon as I landed; I tied the glider to a bush and we were back up at launch ramp with his Sport 2 in half an hour. Unfortunately Bill hit the same kind of situation I had. He had good lift, as soon as he launched, and briefly got up above the highest point on the Peak. Then the lift just went somewhere else. I was hoping to get some pictures as he soared overhead; instead I caught a shot of him almost in the landing zone, 300 feet below me. He had a nice landing, at least, a big improvement over mine. I drove back down, we packed up the gliders, and headed on home to Las Cruces. Despite the brevity of the flights, we were pretty happy with the day's events - we safely got our feet off the ground, and safely down again. Better flights next time, perhaps, when the winds blow from the north again.
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:02 am

RobinHastings wrote:Despite the brevity of the flights, we were pretty happy with the day's events - we safely got our feet off the ground, and safely down again.

:clap:   :clap:   :clap:   :clap:   :clap:   :clap:

That's the most inportant part of any flying day!!!      :thumbup:
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:26 am

Hey Bob,
We did a windy set up (Gusting to 35) and planned to wait for the forecast to come true which happened all too abruptly.
We set up downwind of the building at the base of the cell tower.
Since Robin was up first I had to tie my glider's nose to the chain link fence and the tail to the power pole. I had to chase to
the LZ where I picked up Robin to assist me at launch. Robin then tied his glider to a bush below his hang strap. I hate leaving
any glider unattended like that at either the launch or the LZ. Wind and cows cannot be trusted. People can't be trusted any
farther than you can throw them and cows are hard to even tip over let alone throw them.
Pix by Robin Hastings at Vol. Pk. 3 29 2017.JPG
Pix by Robin Hastings at Vol. Pk. 3 29 2017.JPG (103.53 KiB) Viewed 179 times

Above is Bill trying to milk it to the open grassy area tempered with trying to keep up airspeed for turbulence.
Two seperate goals that tend to run in opposition to each other. :?
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to Rio Grande Soaring Association