RGSA Web Site: http://rgsa.info  

La Luz, New Mexico (USA) 1,100'/1,140' @ 6/1

Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum

La Luz, New Mexico (USA) 1,100'/1,140' @ 6/1

Postby Bill Cummings » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:11 pm

La Luz New Mexico (USA)
Vertical is 1,100' from the NW launch. (5,870' MSL)
Vertical is 1,140' from the upper launch (SW facing) (5,910 MSL)
LZ MSL Average is 4,770'
Glide is 6/1 to the LZ

Postby RobinHastings » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:14 pm
SUNDAY, MARCH 26, 2017:
Ann Dunlap and Bill Cummings came by my house about 8:15 this morning. By 9:30 we were meeting up with Mike Ellsworth in the La Luz landing zone. Everything went smoothly from there: drive up, set up, get ready to launch - except that the La Luz launch winds did not cooperate. We were at the Northwest Launch for hours, without a good lull to launch in while winds roared from 20 to 35 miles per hour. Finally, we carried the gliders for all three pilots (I was driving, today) up to the Southwest Launch. Winds still were not good, but both Bill and Ann made launches there after some long waits. Bill shot up 500 feet above the launch - then plummeted as he began searching for thermals. His flight was about 8 minutes in duration. Ann had similar problems - she waited quite a while, then finally had a good takeoff. However she, too, had only a short flight. She worked some small thermals, but couldn't get much altitude in them. Finally she ended her first flight at the site by landing perfectly in a clear area on the east side of the power lines (Bill landed past them, to the west, right by the flag he had planted). She had a 6 minute flight. Mike wisely decided to pack up his T2C and ride back down with me. All's well that ends well; we had all the gliders tied down to the vehicles by 5:30, and went off in different directions - Mike to Ruidoso, the rest of us to dinner at Margo's Mexican Restaurant, and then Las Cruces. Better luck next time, eh?

https://youtu.be/gKY0ichMFcU

Too light to soar YET.JPG
Too light to soar YET.JPG (56.39 KiB) Viewed 129 times

Ann and Bill Setting up at La Luz.JPG
Ann and Bill Setting up at La Luz.JPG (104.38 KiB) Viewed 129 times

Tuckered out watching Robin do all the work..JPG
Tuckered out watching Robin do all the work..JPG (79.31 KiB) Viewed 129 times

After Robin carried all three gliders up the 40 ft. hill.JPG
After Robin carried all three gliders up the 40 ft. hill.JPG (89.1 KiB) Viewed 129 times
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Re: La Luz, New Mexico (USA) 1,100'/1,140' @ 6/1

Postby RobinHastings » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:47 am

Man, that was quite a flight, Bill! I was gripping the base tube (well, keyboard) just watching it. "Smart is way over rated - lucky is where it's at!" Considering the conditions that day - you were smart.
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Rio Grande Soaring Association