Experimental forum for "Technology" discussions (computers, cameras, etc).

Building an "Owens Valley Bomber"

Postby Rick Masters » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:54 pm

Go ahead. Laugh. You'll eat my dust.
http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/entry.php?328-1987-4x4-Cargo-Van-Project

Moderator's note: Rick has noted that others may have problems using this link and he's suggested removing it. It's being left in the post for now as context for subsequent posts that reference it.
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Building an "Owens Valley Bomber"

Postby wingspan33 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:34 am

Sadly, that link leads to a page that requires a user to register and sign in before seeing the content. :(

Seeing where I was going made me very curious since I once owned a 1987 model year Toyota Cargo Van. Mine was only 2x (rear) wheel drive but had great clearance and made a great HG transport vehicle. :thumbup:

So, Rick, is the Owens Valley Bomber an old Toyota Van? Maybe you could post some screen shots from that password-entry-only web site.
wingspan33
Contributor
Contributor

Postby magentabluesky » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:31 am

I want to hear about the 200+ mile scooter ride to pick up the "Owens Valley Bomber".

That sounds like a real adventure.
magentabluesky
Michael Grisham
magentabluesky
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:13 pm

Preparing to open the wheel wells for the 30-inch tires with my plasma torch.
That's 16.75-inches of clearance at the base of the body panel in the center, before the lift.
Making it as light as possible by taking off everything unnecessary,
like the A/C, auxillary heater, all the plumbing, both bumpers, spare tire carrier.
That front fame section is getting moved back to the steering box
Pulled off over 150 lbs so far. Put in a new windshield.

I once owned a 1987 model year Toyota Cargo Van

You nailed it.
Kind of a high-mileage beater but passed the smog test and, amazingly, has no rust.
Desert find. Also got a 87 2WD like yours with a blown head gasket for a parts car.
I't's all there, tho. I might fix it up and sell it. It's the LE. All glass.
Maybe it was yours. It's from New York.
The next step is to crank up the front torsion bars (as little as possible)
and cut down the new rear Ford Aerostar springs to ride level with the motorcycle in the back.

I want to hear about the 200+ mile scooter ride to pick up the "Owens Valley Bomber".

That scooter goes 80+. Just a pleasant cruise along the north side of the San Gabriels.
Had to spin off the mirrors and drop the windscreen to roll it inside the van.
I used it to pick up a 1973 International Travelall a few years ago. Had to lay it down to fit.
Let's see you do that with your bike.     :twisted:

Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wingspan33 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:28 am

Rick, would I be correct that the video is a Toyota van like yours - but not actually yours?

Either way, I loved my cargo van. Wish I still had it (except it was rusting away).

When new it was a hollow shell in the back as it was meant to be set up as a customize-able work van. It also had (if I remember right) a half ton payload capacity. I designed a rack for it that could carry 6-8 gliders without double stacking. I made a seat in the back that would convert to a bed. As a seat, it could hold 4-5 people and there was room for their gear as well.

R Masters wrote: Also got a 87 2WD like yours with a blown head gasket for a parts car. I't's all there, tho. I might fix it up and sell it. It's the LE. All glass.
Maybe it was yours. It's from New York.

Definitely not mine. lol

In the spring of 2007 my (over 20 year old!) van was rusting apart, and critical systems - coolant and hydraulics - were failing. As I recall, it had over 200,000 miles on it. However the engine and drive train were still fine! Well, I found a nice '96 Toyota Rav4 as a replacement and took the old cargo van to the auto recycling yard. A few weeks later - stopping by for some part I wanted for the Rav - I saw my old friend sitting in a stack of 2' thick (crushed) vehicles. :cry:

Somewhere I've got a picture of my Toyota van not long after I got it. It was taken in the Ellenville, NY LZ. The van was silver colored and the sunset is reflecting off the driver's side rear body panel. I'll have to see if I can find that snap shot and post it here (somewhere).
wingspan33
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:21 pm

I was talking with that guy. He put on big tires and opened up his wheel wells.
Ran the intake up the side. Put a turbo on it. I like the way it performs.
Can't believe these things weigh over 5,000 lbs.
They are serious 4-wheelers with 2-speed transfer cases.
One guy called his a Japanese Unimog.
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby magentabluesky » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:03 pm

Here is my scooter:

I don''t think I want to take it on the dirt.
Attachments
BMW K1300S sm.JPG
BMW K1300S sm.JPG (59.17 KiB) Viewed 18130 times
magentabluesky
Michael Grisham
magentabluesky
Contributor
Contributor

Forum Statistics