Change font size
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:11 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: OK, so I am new to this club. But,
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:25 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Hello from an older and high time Sailplane pilot.
When I began flying gliders in 1969 I worked at Borderland Airsports Center as a CFIG.
One year later joined the AGCSC as (again) CFIG and totally loved the clubs association with many other groups.
I did have one of the first Eipper Rogllo kites that was sold by a company on Adams ave here in SD.
Being involved and working at zillions of Gliderports I didn't have time to be involved with the HG clubs.
But I just "got to tell ya", with what I m reading here, I don't think getting back into the Bull Sh&##
at Torrey is my cup of tea.
In 1979 or there abouts, AGCSC had had enough of the city and local whining.
First it was taboo to land on Blacks Beach, ( I did and liked it ) Wow !. "she was something to see"
Then came the new "insurance baloney".
That was about the time the club headed to Jacumba and Elsinore..
To cut this rant short, I know Torrey is exceptional but hey people, There are FANTASTIC "other" places to fly.
Screw the concessioners .....
Rules for safety and are most important but nobody need this political Poop !

Flying is freedom.
Do it and be free without someone nosing in on your parade.

Post subject: Re: OK, so I am new to this club. But,
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:25 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Steve!!!

Welcome to the US Hawks!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

The struggle at Torrey is the struggle that mankind has dealt with since the beginning of our species. It's a struggle over territory. The land is City land and that means it's the people's land. It belongs to the people of San Diego and it is a flight park just like La Jolla Shores is a beach park. What's unusual about Torrey is that the City has turned it over to a concessionaire to run. I doubt that would go over very well if they turned La Jolla Shores over to a concessionaire who charged the citizens to swim and gave none of those proceeds to the City. Yet that's exactly what's happened at Torrey. Whether you're a sailplane pilot (AGCSC), or an RC pilot (Gulls or TPSSS), or a hang glider / paraglider pilot, you have to pay a private concessionaire to use the land that belongs to us.

But to make matters worse, not only do we have to pay a concessionaire to use our own land, we also have no recourse if that concessionaire decides to kick someone out with no grounds. There currently is no oversight body to adjudicate that kind of action, and the concessionaire knows it. So we've seen a history of abuse of power.

That's what we've been fighting to overturn. We're not against a concessionaire, but some of that money should be going to the City, and the City should be ensuring (through an Advisory Board) that the public is treated fairly at the site. That's all we want.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:53 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Zackly what I m talking about.

Look what the Feds did to Yosemite National Park by having a "Japanese" company take over the valley..

BobK, looks like you are doing the best that can be done yet "shoveling sand against the tide"

I moved to Arizona to get away from California "politics".

Here you don't see fences, no trespassing signs and everyone carries weapons.

Very little road rage, just respect for others.

The days when I hooked up my SGS 1-26 and auto towed off the Torrey cliffs are now history.

I applaud You BK for your perseverance.

Best wishes....................

SW

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:02 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

steveweston wrote:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

steveweston wrote:
The days when I hooked up my SGS 1-26 and auto towed off the Torrey cliffs are now history.

Sadly, the current AGCSC leadership has hitched its wagon to the concessionaire thinking that the concessionaire will protect them. What they don't know is that the concessionaire is all about paragliding and they've probably been glad-handing the AGCSC while stabbing them in the back all these years.

In 2007, I became the first person to fly a hang glider, paraglider, RC, and sailplane all in the same day at Torrey Pines. I want to see ALL of the sports share the air there. But the AGCSC hasn't supported that vision, and instead they've been supporting the concessionaire. They think the concessionaire will help them. How has that worked out? They haven't been allowed to fly one flight there in at least 5 or 6 years. It's very sad.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:57 am 
Contributor
Contributor

steveweston wrote:
Zackly what I m talking about.

Look what the Feds did to Yosemite National Park by having a "Japanese" company take over the valley..

BobK, looks like you are doing the best that can be done yet "shoveling sand against the tide"

I moved to Arizona to get away from California "politics".

I applaud You BK for your perseverance.

Best wishes....................

SW

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/01/04/us/lujan-softens-criticism-of-a-japanese-takeover-at-yosemite.html

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]