It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:08 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 7   [ 69 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Torrey Pines Gliderport RFP has been published
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:42 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

BIG NEWS !!

The RFP for the Torrey Pines Gliderport Lease is available at the City of San Diego web site:

Site:      https://www.sandiego.gov/real-estate-assets/

RFI:      https://www.sandiego.gov/sites/default/files/rfitpg.pdf

RFP:      https://www.sandiego.gov/sites/default/files/rfptpg.pdf

Update January 22, 2019: Added PDF documents and a copy of 1998 Lease as a attachments below.

Update May 18th, 2019: Added PDF Addendum to RFP.

Attachments:
2016_09_29_Addendum_B.pdf [152.39 KiB]
Downloaded 463 times
File comment: 2017 RFI
rfitpg.pdf [9.66 MiB]
Downloaded 515 times
File comment: 2017 RFP
rfptpg.pdf [14.68 MiB]
Downloaded 529 times
File comment: Torrey Pines Gliderport Lease from 1998
Torrey_Lease_1998.pdf [2.54 MiB]
Downloaded 567 times

Post subject: Re: Torrey Pines Gliderport RFP has been published
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:21 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Attachment:
Check that out..JPG
Check that out..JPG [ 99.64 KiB | Viewed 14768 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:39 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

The Great Switch ~ Will History Repeat
Its all pre-arranged, we've seen this before
While no one is looking, the hand off occurs

~ Its All the Same Gang ~

Attachment:
They Call it a Fix.jpg
They Call it a Fix.jpg [ 19.75 KiB | Viewed 14763 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:14 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

eagle wrote:
The Great Switch ~ Will History Repeat
Its all pre-arranged, we've seen this before
While no one is looking, the hand off occurs

I think the City has been waiting for "no one to be looking" since the lease expired back in 2008. The problem is that we've been watching them "like a hawk" for all that time.

I think a lease that's been expired throughout Sherri Lightner's entire term as District 1 Councilmember got too embarrassing. The current administration doesn't want to take a chance on the upcoming District 1 election, so they're finally putting it up for bid under Sherri's "watch". Who wants to bet that they've got it "wired" to go to the current concessionaire one way or another?

By the way, if you visit "TakeBackTorrey.com" you'll find that I've been watching for the lease to be put up for bid since December of 2007.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:16 am 
Contributor
Contributor

These slides are from my presentation to the City Council on October 8th, of 2013:

Attachment:
f1.png
f1.png [ 88.89 KiB | Viewed 14670 times ]

Attachment:
f2.png
f2.png [ 84.77 KiB | Viewed 14670 times ]

Attachment:
f3.png
f3.png [ 81.79 KiB | Viewed 14670 times ]

Yet here's a section from the RFP:

Quote:
F. PROPOSAL CONTENTS
All proposals must include at a minimum the information specified below. Failure to include this information shall be cause to deem the proposal non-responsive and result in its complete rejection. ...

:

2. Summary of Experience. A resume or summary of the Proposer's experience, which should be a minimum of three (3) years in the past five (5) years, and qualifications to operate gliderport-type facilities and the operations presented in the proposal. The names and contact information from a minimum of three (3) references who have had experience in gliderport-type operations during the past five (5) years. ...

Gee, how many "gliderport-type operations" do we have here in San Diego County? In all of Southern California? In the entire world?

And who has controlled that Gliderport for the last 18 years? So anyone who managed that exact same Gliderport prior to the current concessionaire is also not qualified?

The City of San Diego has clearly drafted this RFP to exclude anyone but the current concessionaire. My slides from 2013 predicted just this kind of corruption.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:55 am 
Contributor
Contributor

The time is very very short. Please keep spreading the word.    Thanks!!

On August 13th, I sent an email message to several key people with the following:

Quote:
I'm writing because the RFP for the Torrey Pines Gliderport has been posted to the City's web site, and it's clear that is has been drafted to make only the current concessionaire eligible. It has also been drafted in such a way as to preclude any other kinds of management structure other than the current concessionaire model.

I feared that the City would try to do this, and as far back as 2013 I voiced my concerns to the City Council (see first video here):

http://ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2573

Here's part of my speech from that video (October 8th, 2013):

Quote:
"My name is Bob Kuczewski. I am here to talk about the Gliderport RFP, which of course stands for "Request for Proposals".

So why isn't the Torrey Pines City Park Advisory Board advising this City on creation of a Request for Proposals for the Gliderport Lease? Why? Why aren't the citizens and user groups involved in creating and specifying the parameters for this RFP? Why has the Torrey Pines City Park Advisory Board been prohibited from advising on the management of that park? ...

Why are pubic, park, and user groups being kept out of the process?

Here's an example of something that might be left out. On the screen here is an example of a million dollar policy that our club can purchase for the Torrey Pines Gliderport protecting the CIty. This is a liability policy that protects the city from any lawsuits due to activities on that site.

We can buy that million dollar policy and indemnify the City for a million dollars ... at a cost of $250 per year.

Will that option be considered? Will this option be considered unresponsive to the RFP? In other words, will the RFP be written in such a way that it's geared toward the current concessionaire and excludes any of these other possibilities? ...

I'm going to issue a corruption alert to the City of San Diego. ...

If the Gliderport RFP is "wired" in any way for the current concessionaire - and you know what I mean by "wired", it means it's written in such a way that the only person can meet those requirements is the concessionaire - then we will know that there is corruption in this city under your watch.

So I am asking you to ensure that any RFP is written to allow all options to be considered."

- Bob Kuczewski, October 8th, 2013

Yet the RFP that was just issued does not allow for any of the many options that should be considered for that property. Indeed, the RFP requirements have been tailored to fit only the current concessionaire ... all others need not apply.

This is wrong, and it's being rushed through in the last hours of Sherri Lightner's 8 year reign of neglect.

I am asking you to make a public statement asking that the RFP for the Gliderport either be revised to allow a broad range of proposals or that it be tabled until [next year].

On August 16th, I sent an email message to a number of people (City of San Diego, USHPA, etc) with the following:

Quote:
With regard to the Gliderport RFP, I have 3 concerns:

1. The time is too short given that there hasn't been an anticipated date of issue. The lease expired in 2008, and there were people in the sport preparing their participation in advance of that date (mid 2007 and early 2008). But this RFP has come as a surprise to the flying community. The 60 day proposal period is far too short given those circumstances. I would like to see it extended to 120 days as a minimum, and I am asking that you make that request of the Real Estate Assets Department. Thank you.

2. The RFP has been drafted in a way that appears as if it's written to select only the current concessionaire. Some of the requirements are such that they can be easily interpreted as excluding anyone who hasn't been operating the Torrey Pines Gliderport in 3 of the last 5 years. Furthermore, the RFP excludes many other kinds of operation - such as the club model that has been successful in 90% (or more) of the flying sites in the United States. In fact, the closest example to Torrey Pines would be Fort Funston which overlooks the ocean in San Francisco. That site is completely managed by the Fellow Feathers club, and they have avoided many of the problems that have plagued the Torrey Pines site for decades. I feel it is inappropriate for the RFP to exclude such proposals. This is especially true since Torrey Pines is the only site of its type in all of southern California. It would be as if all of San Diego's beaches were being turned over to one concessionaire to hold a monopoly. I am not opposed to the RFP giving concession rights to a single concessionaire as long as that does not grant exclusive right to control all flying at that site. With those thoughts in mind, I would like to ask Parks and Recreation to request a broadening of the RFP by Real Estate Assets to allow a wider range of proposals and experience. Thank you.

3. The Torrey Pines City Park Advisory Board was formed in 2008, and it consisted of all of the user groups of the site. Yet that Board was inactivated prior to the drafting of this important RFP. I feel it is inappropriate for the City of San Diego to be issuing an RFP that does not include their active participation. I therefore ask that the Torrey Pines City Park Advisory Board be reactivated so they can participate in advising the CIty (they are an Advisory Board, after all) on the drafting of this RFP. Thank you.

Those are my concerns. It strikes me as highly inappropriate that this RFP is being rushed through during the City Council's summer break given the extremely long time that it has been allowed to carry forward in a month to month status (since August of 2008). For all of those reasons, and to ensure that the City is offered the best choice of proposals by the best people in the industry, I respectfully ask the San Diego Parks and Recreation Department to request the three items I have mentioned above.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:23 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

FYI, in order for me to encourage the most participation in the bidding for the Torrey Pines Gliderport lease, I've decided that I will not be participating as a principle in any proposals.

Instead, I will be doing my best to help those proposal teams who offer better management than we've seen so far.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:44 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Bob, I admire your dedication and only wish I had your energy and willingness to work hard on this project. I simply do not have the gumption and talent you have, and I applaud your efforts. Please don't hesitate to ask for support. I may not be able to do much, but I can try. I admit to feeling guilty of not providing adequate support so far, and really want to try harder.

On another note, I've acquired a Pro Air 'Breeze', 160 or so squares. If anyone has flown this kite please clue me in to any tricks it wants to play on unsuspecting pilots. It appears to be a tight-sail SS glider, but seems to have more sweep than the Harriers I normally fly. It's in good shape but I suspect it is old enough to have shrinkage issues, so I need to find the luff line settings before I do any wingovers ( I'm sometimes a bit slow over the top).

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:25 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Steve,

Everyone helps in different ways. Thanks for all you've done to support the Torrey Hawks and U.S. Hawks!! Your membership alone has been super. :)

Fly safe!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:23 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

According to the latest posting at the San Diego City web site, the deadline has been extended two more months.

The new deadline for proposals is 4pm on November 21st, 2016.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 7   [ 69 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next