A "Richard Miller Day" at Docweiler, July 11

Honoring the rich history and bright future of gliding at Dockweiler Beach

A "Richard Miller Day" at Docweiler, July 11

Postby Frank Colver » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:16 pm

How about a "Richard Miller Day" meet for the FDGS on Saturday July 11? :idea: This could be the first "official" meet by the Friends of Dockweiler Gliding Society. Could be made an annual event like the Otto meets. :clap:

Richard pioneered hang gliding at Dockweiler (we used to call it Playa delRay) and inspired many others to engage in designing, building, and flying hang gliders. We may feel his spirit present at such an event, at least in our memories.

If interested - spread the word. :!:

Good lift to Richard,
Frank Colver
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Re: A "Richard Miller Day" at Docweiler, July 11

Postby JoeF » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:34 pm

Is there a way to co-honor earlier user of Dockweiler along with Richard Miller. James Hobson used Docweiler for his "Rogallo Hang Glider". Jim: 1961 and 1962 and following. Jim stayed promoting hang gliding on TV before Richard did hang gliding at Dockweiler. I sense a Hobson-and-Miller PARTY. Both in their own realms got the word out. Hobson got the word out in EAA and also in national TV via the Lawerence Welk show that Jim directed. Jim stayed being a regular visitor to the early Self-Soar Association and Low & Slow office; Jim worked in Santa Monica just blocks from my office. See his topic thread in US Hawks forum: HERE Frank, see if it could open to a

HOBSON AND MILLER DAY
at DOCKWEILER Hang Gliding Training Center

under full supervision of Windsports.

http://www.rogallohanggliders.com/JimHobson/index.html

Windsports has high need for continuity for use of launches for instruction. Highly following Windsports directives for supporting any instruction would be in harmony with celebrating Hobson and Miller. Say 20 people arrived for a PARTY spontaneously on July 11; say all 20 put in a site-use fee and signed in appropriately. There is parking lot next to cars for displays. There is sand spots near plaque. AND there is the whole beach just north of LZ and just south of LZ for use of blankets and display and picnic. Some flying could interweave with full respect for whatever instruction was going on; keeping a watch to fully respect the instructors' and students needs would be the order of the day. Hobson and Miller very much lived a sharing-mentoring-coaching manner. Windsports might comment on this. Talk and sharing need not take place at the launch pad; maybe reserve launch pad only for launching. Then just north of LZ could begin an area of blankets, display, sharing, play, talking. Mind gliders and launches at launch. Landers could scoot some gliders into the area of sharing, if the gliders were not being used in a flight cycle. We did this kind of arrangement at the Torrance Turkey Fly way back when that Self-Soar Association triggered. Thus, optimum use of launch area could occur. All this needs is cooperation and awareness of Windsports needs. The general beach is open to all the public. Perhaps FDGS could guarantee day fee for 30 persons at sie-use rate; if less than 30 paid, then FDGS would donate the difference i the guarantee; I would donate toward such cover difference; if 30 showed and paid, then my donation would not be needed.

Maybe not this year, but maybe a Hobson replica (actually his wing still exists, but the heir has not spoken lately in a way I could hear; but maybe the wing could be brought forward by the family-friends that are steward of the wing. And of course, a Bamboo Butterfly might come out of storage or be made by someone. Group photo under one or both wings would be something!
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:26 am

Hobson / Miller Day sounds OK. I had thought about that when I proposed the Richard Miller Day but since I didn't know much about Hobson I didn't propose it.

However, from your posting, Joe, it sounds like you are concerned about the society holding a meet at this time with possible site use conflicts.

I notice that there are no other (than you) replies to my suggestion so maybe it should not "fly" at this time but next year as you suggest.

I'm open to just going out to Dockweiler, on the 11th. to fly and hang out but not make it a "meet", if any others would be there.

Frank
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:17 pm

I've been on jury duty for the past two days (lunch break as I type) so I'm sorry I haven't answered sooner. I'm up for either or both celebration. I still haven't made any follow up phone calls from the Otto meet, so maybe this would be a good reason to make those calls.

I personally think that the Society should hold meetings/events like this as frequently as practical to bring more Friends to this wonderful site.

Thanks to each of you for your enthusiasm!!!!
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:31 pm

At this point it looks like we will have an informal meet on July 11 and honor Jim Hobson and Richard Miller. I have invited Mike Meier, of Wills Wing, to attend with an Alpha 210 to demo. Don't know yet if that will happen.

Frank Colver
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Jim Hobson and Richard Miller ... July 11, 2015, Saturday

Postby JoeF » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:19 pm

Yes, and Bille Fly has been invited; but he may go to CSS.
Jim Hobson and Richard Miller ... July 11, 2015, Saturday.

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:46 pm

Mike Meier, of Wills Wing, has said that he may attend, on July 11th, with an Alpha 210 to demo. He doesn't know at this time if he can have one by then. So this is a big "Maybe".

I have ordered an Alpha 210 for myself but it's about 7 weeks away. :thumbup:

Frank C.
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:16 pm

The informal event will be honoring Jim Hobson as well as Richard Miller in memory. Jim flew Dockweiler before Richard and was Richard's inspiration. Richard went on to serve as inspiration for others who flew in following years.
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:28 am

What do you think of finding an after-flying venue to show Big Blue Sky on the 11th?
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Hobson-Miller Day at Dockweiler, July 11

Postby JoeF » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:41 pm

Shaded solar-powered computer-monitor showing of the Big Blue Sky during the day for those who have not seen it?
We have yet three persons noting they will be there on July 11th; those three have seen the movie, perhaps more than once. Shade tented off the fence to sand-anchored poles?

Personal:
I was sooooo enjoyably exhausted after many Dockweiler days of flying activity that there was no calories or time left for additional socializing. Where is the bed! :: signs of age? I'll be aiming for getting home after the site's play and remembrance of Hobson and Miller.
==========
While the movie is a present key classic work about the contemporary renaissance in hang gliding, the movie unfortunately does not include the Jim Hobson facts or John Worth notes.

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Friends of Dockweiler Gliding Society