Sunday Funday - 3rd Sunday of every month

Honoring the rich history and bright future of gliding at Dockweiler Beach

Re: Sunday Funday - 3rd Sunday of every month

Postby Rick Masters » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:04 pm

It would also be interesting to see how many people might be enticed to try basic Low-and Slow low-impact hang gliding with the Hawks if we make it as easy as possible.
Without the initial up-front payment forced on schools like Joe's for people to simply first try hang gliding, the Hawks might be able to inspire some folks to head his way, or toward other schools, or help them get involved with spending time with practicing hang glider pilots who would teach them the required skills - perhaps with a US Hawks Special Observer checking off progress.

The USHPA has made non-USHPA instruction a bogeyman.
It's crazy to prevent enthusiasts from popularizing the sport !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It seems to me that a part of this is profit motive, with the rationale that hang gliding needs $chools to survive.
This is wrong. Hang gliding evolved from informal instruction.
Plenty of people have been hurt or killed under certified USHPA instruction methods, yet this is the very reason they use to ban peer instruction.
I respect their methods, but they are guidelines.
They are not meant to be a strategy for the monetization of our sport.

Hang gliding has a problem.
Not enough people are coming in.
There is a reason and I am suspicious that the root cause has nothing to do with the love of freeflight.
Especially when I hear paraglider people say that they are distressed when they become afraid of paragliding but don't want to give up flying.
WTF??? USHPA is clearly not doing its job.
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:23 pm

Rick, your post highlights what's brought us together to form the U.S. Hawks. Thanks! :thumbup:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Rick Masters wrote:It would also be interesting to see how many people might be enticed to try basic Low-and Slow low-impact hang gliding with the Hawks if we make it as easy as possible.
Without the initial up-front payment forced on schools like Joe's for people to simply first try hang gliding, the Hawks might be able to inspire some folks to head his way, or toward other schools, or help them get involved with spending time with practicing hang glider pilots who would teach them the required skills - perhaps with a US Hawks Special Observer checking off progress.

The USHPA has made non-USHPA instruction a bogeyman.
It's crazy to prevent enthusiasts from popularizing the sport !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It seems to me that a part of this is profit motive, with the rationale that hang gliding needs $chools to survive.
This is wrong. Hang gliding evolved from informal instruction.
Plenty of people have been hurt or killed under certified USHPA instruction methods, yet this is the very reason they use to ban peer instruction.
I respect their methods, but they are guidelines.
They are not meant to be a strategy for the monetization of our sport.

Hang gliding has a problem.
Not enough people are coming in.
There is a reason and I am suspicious that the root cause has nothing to do with the love of freeflight.
Especially when I hear paraglider people say that they are distressed when they become afraid of paragliding but don't want to give up flying.
WTF??? USHPA is clearly not doing its job.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SamKellner » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:26 pm

Rick M:
It would also be interesting to see how many people might be enticed to try basic Low-and Slow low-impact hang gliding with the Hawks if we make it as easy as possible.

Hi Rick,

Been doing this for several years now.

But I'm wondering. The term "Low and Slow" hang gliding, also around for years, is in reference to beginner scooter towing.

Are we on the same page?

:wave:
Southwest Texas Hang Gliders
US Hawks Hang Gliding Assn.
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:36 pm

I harken back to the seminal magazine "Low & Slow" that started the somewhat crazy 1970's resurgence of hang gliding.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_itemId=300909311386&_nkw=1971+Hang+Gliding+Magazine+LOW+SLOW+Issue+4&_trksid=p2047675.m4099.l9146
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to Friends of Dockweiler Gliding Society