Dockweiler RHG Diary

Honoring the rich history and bright future of gliding at Dockweiler Beach

Re: Dockweiler RHG Diary

Postby Frank Colver » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:48 am

Joe & Bob, Sometime in the near future I'm going to go to Dockweiler when Windsports is open to deliver the wheels I repaired for them.

If either of you want to make some potentially low wind flights before Windsports opens on one of their regular days I could get there early and then head back home early, after they open, to take care of my duties there.

I see nothing in the agreement with B&H that prevents flying any time that the concession is not open for business. It's just that there usually isn't much wind before noon (which is why they open then). By my being there I could bring the 330 to help with the low wind conditions. We could pick a date based on my availability and forecasted wind conditions. Springtime can bring some early west winds.

What do you think?

Frank

BTW - Last full week in April I'll be busy mornings, in Anaheim, helping Reluctant Sparrow with his harness prototype build. :thumbup:
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:14 am

Good. I'll watch for the day you announce, Frank; I'll aim to be there and fly your Condor when no business operation is occurring.
I've been launching the Alpha 210 in 0 to 1 cross; the Condor will be more easily launched.

Concurring by example was the JoeG up-flag, down-flag, with JoeF and BobK flying in the moments of down-flag
in the flights of honor and memory for Greg DeWolf. When flag was down JoeG countenanced JoeF taking the day's final closing flight;
such was the concession's understanding as you expressed, Frank. Amen.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:04 am

Dockweiler visitor took some photos of me and offered to email them to me; I agreed to give photo credit:
Two recent photos by Iliya Gegov
PhotoByIliyaGegovOfJoeFaustApril2018.JPG
PhotoByIliyaGegovOfJoeFaustApril2018.JPG (84.43 KiB) Viewed 5788 times

PhotoByIliyaGegovOfJoeFaustApril2018HG005.JPG
PhotoByIliyaGegovOfJoeFaustApril2018HG005.JPG (94.72 KiB) Viewed 5788 times

Clip:
SandFromInsideShoeSpewingOutHoleInShoe.JPG
SandFromInsideShoeSpewingOutHoleInShoe.JPG (9.46 KiB) Viewed 5788 times

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wingspan33 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:40 pm

Nice pictures Joe! You make a good photo subject. Even with the sand in your shoes. :lolno:

Are you guys out there today?
wingspan33
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:02 pm

We had a fun day at Dockweiler yesterday. :)

USHPA members (Frank and Jim) flew while the school was open, and then Joe, Frank, and I flew under our waivers after the school was closed.

The winds picked up in the late afternoon, and I was able to partially soar Frank's Condor 225. Same for Joe. I think we could have done some full back and forth soaring in a 330. Frank had a few nice flights and he's looking and feeling more at home in the air again with every visit. :thumbup:

I hope to see some pictures. :)
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:31 pm

1st day flying since my 83rd birthday. flying Windsports' Condor 330.

Look ma - no hands :!: :o

Frank C

Condor330 hands free.jpg
Condor330 hands free.jpg (101.69 KiB) Viewed 5735 times
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:35 am

Frank Colver wrote:Look ma - no hands :!: :o

That's got to be the best picture of the day!!    :clap:

You couldn't have a lighter grip than that.    :lol:

Greg is smiling somewhere.    :thumbup:
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:03 pm

WIND: 8 to 12 mph est for bluff. Pleasant W and SW. Helpful.

Jim Fenison, Reluctant Sparrow, Sunny Jim. Adopted by native American tribe; he was given a name Reluctant Sparrow

Frank
Bob Bendetson At 145 lb pilot body weight and low-weight school harness, he soared today several passes.
Instructor -- volunteer.
Bob K
Joe F
=================================
Mark ____ Upon inquiry about hang gliding, he was referred by Chris Wills to Rob McKenzie for exploratory flight; now Mark is training at Dockweiler. Work: mtnriver.com River guide. Mark exchange river running stories with Mark; they both share considerable experience in white water rafting.
=================
Two other students: young couple; they were smooching it up while in harness waiting for their flights supervised by Bob Bendetson. https://tinyurl.com/BobBendetsonHANGGLIDER
Mom of one of the students ... fell on bike way.

=====================================
Jim Fenison told story of a female HG pilot that lost basebar at altitude but finished flight by staying holding the down tubes.
Jim: has formed trails in forest.
Jim described his very special carpentry skills.
In the oven baking: Fenison-Faust low-pressure inflated wheels or roller for sand landing. Large diameter bearing.
High Energy Sports, Inc. prototyping Fenison suprone harness.
About High Energy Sports, Inc.
Jim had several flights in his borrowed North Wing EZY. He said he learned some things that will advance his project.
Jim shared stories of his flying habits and his experiences with his Fenison Fly Bar.
==================
Frank Colver
New truck and HG racking! Special front license plate holder had two holes drilled to receive HG rack front-end support; nice job!

First three flights of his "83" era! Good flights, two with stand-up landings on the Condor 330 in WS-open time. His third flight was on his own Condor 225 when WS was closed.

===================
JoeF
I took a full flight in the North Wing EZY 170 belonging to Daryl Hamlin (Spelling?) Thanks to Jim Fenison, caretaker of the wing. Jim said it was 175, so I am confused, but link to info on EZY 170.
http://www.northwing.com/ezy-hang-glider.htm
Other flights in Frank's Condor 225: ten flights.
Joe was Sherpa (returning the wing to launch) for one of Frank's flights and two of Jim's flights.
A touring photographer will be sending a photo of JoeF to be posted when it arrives.
==========================
Bob Kuczewski
He took about 10 flights on Frank's Condor 225.
Bob was doing right to a knee challenge stemming from an injury exacerbated by a recent tennis-court motion.
A private conversation was held with Bob Bendetson.

======================================================

Shelly and his very friendly dog Penny showed!
----------------------------------------------
We missed having the graceful presence of Joe Greblo, Andy Beem, and Josh Laufer for meeting Jim Fenison and his experimental harness.
======================
A short discussion was held by some of us about the importance of standing up for justice when a HG org injures a good pilot's reputation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowardice Every member of u$hPa is invited to withdraw their membership so long as that org maintains the unfair injury they have served some good pilots.
============================
Frank, BobK, JoeF, and Jim F. had dinner in El Segundo at Beach Mex. :clap: Good time.

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wingspan33 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:50 pm

Hey Joe,

Your report sounds like a wonderful bunch of events happened at Dockweiler Beach! If I could snap my fingers and have been there, I wouldn't have hesitated to do so.

I have a similar non-beach site near me and I've got plans to try and soar it for at least a few minutes. It needs a nice constant 15 mph breeze from the SW. Those kinds of winds will be coming soon to my area. :)

I've also now got a very nice 4K action cam so maybe I'll be able to capture some video, if and/or when. :thumbup:
wingspan33
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Wed May 09, 2018 9:37 am

wingspan33 wrote:I have a similar non-beach site near me and I've got plans to try and soar it for at least a few minutes. It needs a nice constant 15 mph breeze from the SW. Those kinds of winds will be coming soon to my area. :)

I can't wait to see pictures!!      :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap:
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Friends of Dockweiler Gliding Society