Dockweiler RHG Diary

Honoring the rich history and bright future of gliding at Dockweiler Beach

Re: Dockweiler RHG Diary

Postby Frank Colver » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:56 am

We all need to applaud Bob Kuczewski, he carries my glider back up the dune at Dockweiler for me, each time I fly. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

WHAT A GUY & TRUE FRIEND :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Oh, I must not believe that because USHPA management says he's a bad dude. :thumbdown:

Frank
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:59 pm

Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:05 pm

“What do you call work?”
“Why, ain’t that work?”
Tom resumed his whitewashing, and answered carelessly:
“Well, maybe it is, and maybe it ain’t. All I know, is, it suits Tom Sawyer.”
Last edited by Rick Masters on Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:56 pm

Interesting notes from others: Frank, BobK, and Rick. Thanks. Will treasure such.
=====================================================
So:
1. Have Bob handy to carryback wings! Oops, Bob is at work or in New Mexico or flying at Torrey or Funston! :salute:
Bob's back is important also.
2. Hire a youngster! Workman's Compensation challenge! Beaches & Harbor rules? And the youngsters' spines are important also! Lawsuit?
3. Beaches & Harbor limits severely what motored vehicles are allowed on beach; lifeguards, beach maintenance, police, special $ event permits.
4. The high multiplicity of launching and landing is part of the attraction of Dockweiler flying. Scenery and people and birds are other gems of the site. Sylmar: one or two launches per day? One or two landings per day? $15 to $20 fee per carryup to launch area.
5. Prone position during the mid flight could be part of the in-flight spinal-compression relieving.
======================================
JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:45 pm

Rick Masters wrote:“What do you call work?”
“Why, ain’t that work?”
Tom resumed his whitewashing, and answered carelessly:
“Well, maybe it is, and maybe it ain’t. All I know, is, it suits Tom Sawyer.”

I think Rick's quote is on the right track. Work and joy are both states of mind.

All I know is that it gives me great joy to carry a glider so that the great founders of our sport might be able to make a few more flights than they might otherwise make.

It's also given me great joy to carry back for younger pilots to preserve their strength to get more out of their training.

So please don't feel that it's something special for octagenarians or USHGA founders. It's something I do because I love hang gliding and I love to see others love it too. :)
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:01 am

Day of Celebrating the Life and Times of Greg DeWolf
January 27, 2018, Saturday

== Seashore ceremony, birds, Coast Guard, friends, taught-by-Greg pilots.
== Beach Mex Restaurant. Memories. Stories. One of Greg's after-giving-flight-firsts-to-so-many eating places in El Segundo
== Thanks to Cyndia Zumpft Klein for organizing the memorial and getting the message out. :salute:
== Thanks to Joe Greblo for judicious and generous opening and closing Windsports to allow all manner of commemorative flights to occur on this special day. :salute:

======= Honoring-Greg flights at Dockweiler Hang Glider Park
============ Joe Greblo brought out a Condor 330. Bob Kuczewski had about 10 flights. Aaron flew twice. And: __?______: student: she flew once. Little to no wind. JoeF flew three times breaking his ground-distance-at-Dockweiler record because of the no-wind condition and run-launch that inspired Joe Greblo to extend a welcomed commendation; near sunset the third flight was the final of the day; thank you, Greg---fly forever. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:
JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:18 pm

Here are some pictures to go along Joe's description of the day ...

P00.jpeg
P00.jpeg (79.25 KiB) Viewed 453 times

P01.jpeg
P01.jpeg (34.13 KiB) Viewed 453 times

P02.jpeg
P02.jpeg (37.01 KiB) Viewed 453 times

P03.jpeg
P03.jpeg (39.71 KiB) Viewed 453 times

P04.jpeg
P04.jpeg (59.25 KiB) Viewed 453 times

P05.jpeg
P05.jpeg (50.29 KiB) Viewed 453 times

P06.jpeg
P06.jpeg (69.13 KiB) Viewed 453 times

P07.jpeg
P07.jpeg (72.78 KiB) Viewed 453 times

P08.jpeg
P08.jpeg (57.89 KiB) Viewed 453 times

P09.jpeg
P09.jpeg (58.87 KiB) Viewed 453 times

P10.jpeg
P10.jpeg (41.3 KiB) Viewed 453 times

P11.jpeg
P11.jpeg (47.93 KiB) Viewed 453 times

P12.jpeg
P12.jpeg (61.44 KiB) Viewed 453 times

P13.jpeg
P13.jpeg (59.22 KiB) Viewed 453 times

P14.jpeg
P14.jpeg (59.53 KiB) Viewed 453 times

P15.jpeg
P15.jpeg (76.15 KiB) Viewed 453 times

P16.jpeg
P16.jpeg (42.48 KiB) Viewed 453 times

P17.jpeg
P17.jpeg (60.98 KiB) Viewed 453 times

Thanks to Joe Greblo for kindly opening and closing to allow everyone to fly in remembrance of Greg.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:30 pm

I sure wish I could have been there but desert duties came first today. Thank you Joe F for the report.

One thing puzzles me: I thought ownership of Windsports changed at the first of the year. How was it that it was Joe Greblo who closed Windsports so all could fly? But however that happened, kudos to Joe G for doing that. :clap: :clap:

Frank
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:47 pm

Friday, Feb. 16, 2018
==========================================
Shelly showed with very wonderful dog Penny. Penny really likes Andy Beem. Shelly is still grounded for some knee attention.
Andy opened Windsports; first flight was at 1:04 p.m.

It turned out that mystery tie-down installer was Shelly! Thanks, Shelly!

I did some MHG and left the Alpha 210 on the truck, as Windsports opened and thus recreational free-permit HG could not be open and free. The one wing used by Windsports used about 2% of the site's flight asset!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for the day. The incursion of U$hPa odd monopoly over public recreation asset is something that should be removed A.S.A.P. , I vote.

And flew 6 different sorts of kites. Weather mild, fully clear sky. Wind direction changed to W only for a brief period. Exercise up-and-down sand berms to get ready for next week. Restful day. Arrived at 9 a.m. and left at 3:30 p.m. Traffic across town as surprisingly heavy. Will be planning activity on beach side to fill time until 9 p.m. before crossing town for home.
======================================================================================
JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:45 pm

At Dockweiler today (Sunday), while Windsports was open, to pick up 4 broken wheels. i'll do my standard repair on them and get to keep one pair for my Condor 225.

Beautiful flying day, wind straight in, almost soarable, and Windsports was busy. I didn't take my glider because it was planned to be a quick trip for the wheel pickup. However, I had my harness and helmet with me so I did get a flight on the school's Condor 330. Also watched others flying fun and left at 3:00 pm to go by my shop and load my 330 for tomorrow (President's Day) at Dockweiler.

Cyndia and Christa were there, flying. I hadn't seen them in quite some time. :wave:

Met Josh for the first time. Andy was also teaching.

Frank
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Friends of Dockweiler Gliding Society