Postby Rick Masters » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:13 am

Learning from hang gliding incidents

September 4, 2016    JAPAN
The pilot approached the landing field in a light southerly wind.
Rather than making the typical dogleg approach, the pilot made a wide 360,
leaving it at the point he guessed was best to make a long, straight approach.
As he neared the landing field, he noticed he was getting low.
Ahead, between him and the field, was an irrigation ditch.
He delayed his flare to cross the ditch but encountered tall brush at the edge of the field.
His wheels did not help as the base bar was caught by the vegetation.
The hang glider nosed over and crashed.
The man did not react properly to the impending impact by grabbing one downtube.
He impacted with his arms outstretched, gripping both downtubes, breaking his left upper arm.

The first mistake. A good pilot NEVER lands short unless conditions deteriorate during his final glide.
        This pilot set up the accident by choosing an inferior approach protocol.
        He should have used the dogleg approach, which has been proven again and again,
        as the best method to reach the desired point of landing.
        Only the very best pilots, who fly by perfect instinct honed from vast experience,
        should use dead reckoning on approach because it entails greater risk.

Klaus Kohmstedt of Monaco first explained this to me as I filmed him on Gunter launch during the 1981 Owens Valley XC Open.
        Wielding a brush and gallon can the night before, he had doped his sail in a hanger at Bishop Airport and was already regretting it,
        now hoping the severe new wrinkles that had set in place on the trip up the mountain would disappear during in flight.

Image  Klaus Kohmstedt

"Where are you going today?" I asked, with the camera rolling.
        "Far. Very, very far," Then he grinned and added, "If I get away, that is."
        I turned off the camera. "Are you worried about getting away?" I asked.
        "No," he replied. "I can control that. I can choose when to take off - when everything is right."
        He sighed. "It's the landing I worry about. You never know. The wind can change. A dust devil. Rocks. You never know."

If the wind is light, perform a smooth, flat, constant-speed 360 high above the field and gauge your drift.
        To execute the dogleg, approach the landing area from any direction and perform a turn downwind of the field and
        perpendicular to your final approach line.
        Descend on this line, noticing your drift, and cross your final approach line as you prepare for a 180.
        This upcoming 180 is your most important turn. It establishes the altitude for your final turn.
        Make the 180 to establish yourself at that altitude, which sets you up for your final straight glide to landing.
        Now, as you prepare for your final turn, notice again your descent rate.
        Be aware that the wind will often diminish near the ground, resulting in sudden altitude loss and poor flare response.
        If the pilot in this incident had performed the dogleg approach,
        he would have made his final turn high enough over the ditch so that it would not have been an issue.
        Instead, he set the stage for his own accident.
        This is the common mark of an amateur who thinks he knows things it is impossible to know without verification.
        His misjudgement caused him to land short.

The second mistake. But even then, the crash may not have been necessary.
        A very aggressive flare was called for, with hands high up on the downtubes.
        When encountering high brush or saplings, punch!
        Exert all your effort into creating an effective flare at the last moment.
        You have to overcome the drag of the vegetation,
        avoiding at all costs the base tube being pulled back and the glider nosing in.

The third mistake. Gliders are expendable.
        One downtube is really expendable.
        You are not expendable. Fly like you know it.
        When you crash a hang glider, it doesn't matter how expensive it was.
        You shouldn't be on a really expensive new hang glider if you don't have the skill to keep it in one piece.
        Admit it. Admit it before you crash it.
        "I paid too much money for this thing. I should have bought a cheap used hang glider instead." Say it.
        Now prepare yourself for the inevitable crash.
        "I do not want to be prone in an accident." Say it.
        You will let go of one downtube and grab the other one at the moment of impact.
        You will hang on. You body will swing through the control bar and hit the sail.
        "The glider will take the brunt of the impact instead of me."
        Say it. Be ready. Do it.
        Replace the downtube.
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Rick Masters: Dangerous Thoughts