Roll up your sleeves, leave your ego at the door...
Forum rules
Speak your mind. Try to be courteous to others.
Don't be too shy to say what you think.
Don't be too proud to say you were wrong.

Re: What can the US Hawks be?

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Tue May 17, 2016 12:11 pm

JoeF wrote:Clue for the peak:

May 12, 2016 at 8:28 PM, Frank Colver <fcolver@znet.com> wrote:
I’m sending this to all hang glider folks in my address book as a reminder of the fast approaching 45th anniversary of the first Otto Lilienthal meet and the birth of modern sport hang gliding

That settles it in my book. If Frank Colver (USHGA #7) sent out an email message to his list of hang glider folks (which reads like the "Who's Who" of hang gliding), that could easily trigger a spike in folks visiting the site.

Thanks Frank!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:          :salute:
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SamKellner » Tue May 17, 2016 2:02 pm

It's all about Hawks and more Hawks

Welcome new members :!:

:wave:
Southwest Texas Hang Gliders
US Hawks Hang Gliding Assn.
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:50 am

This morning I took a snapshot of our "Hot Topics" page.

It shows 14 topics. The most recent posts on those 14 topics were added by 7 different pilots (an average of 2 topics per pilot). None of the recent posts were by me (until this one), and only one of those 14 topics was started by me.

Thanks to everyone who's landed here at the US Hawks, and thanks to everyone who helps make it a place for open hang gliding discussions without fear of retaliation.

I wonder if this picture could be posted to other forums (like hanggliding.org or the Oz Forum)?

Be sure to black out my name (in the "Setting up a Hang Glider" topic) if you post it to hanggliding.org!!!   :lol:

Full_Page_w.jpeg
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:34 am

Where else can hang glider pilots learn about the nesting behavior of the Ozone Warbler?     :lol:
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:24 am

Rick Masters wrote:Where else can hang glider pilots learn about the nesting behavior of the Ozone Warbler?     :lol:

See ... the US Hawks can be fun and educational!

By the way, I'd like to give a big thanks to Rick and Bill for calling me last night to let me know the forum was down. I called the hosting company and the forum was up again in about 15 minutes.

The US Hawks can be an organization where everyone helps out with their own talents and benefits from the talents of others. Thanks to Rick and Bill for calling me (even though I wasn't so happy to hear about the problem). Pitching in to make a call or mention the Hawks to a friend makes this OUR club. Thanks to all of our members!!
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:44 am

We need to put out the call for anyone who can help move the USHHGA into and through the incorporation process, to limit member liability and so we can eventually try to get insurance for recreational hang gliding only.

I think we could stay with the present free membership & open forum and then have another tier of paid membership for those needing to have the insurance for their flying sites, without USHPA membership. It's obvious that USHPA is heading toward letting every form of personal flight into that org and their RRG insurance will be strained by accidents and lawsuits. Of course the pilot is not covered for his/her injury or death but a paraglider collapsing at low elevation is a hazard to people and property on the ground.

FC
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:16 pm

...and then have another tier of paid membership for those needing to have the insurance for their flying sites...

Impossible.
The only way the US Hawks can be successful is to rely on state recreational law provisions.
It will be far cheaper for local club members to belong to the USHPA and buy site insurance through them, while also belonging to the US Hawks for nothing, than attempt to re-create the wheel and try to do what the USHPA has barely done with thousands of members and lots of money.
US Hawks will have to recognize its niche: unregulated sites, and its opportunity: recreational sports law.
This will allow the US Hawks to grow in membership and pursue meaningful discussions about pulling hang gliding out of the USHPA without placing the US Hawks at liability risk.
Without membership, we're just a few guys blowin' smoke.
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby eagle » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:39 pm

~ Take a Moment ~

Spirit Talks.jpg
Spirit Talks.jpg (19.67 KiB) Viewed 8171 times
eagle
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:12 pm

eagle wrote:~ Take a Moment ~

LISTEN TO THE WIND
               IT TALKS
        LISTEN TO THE SILENCE
               IT SPEAKS
        LISTEN TO YOUR HEART
               IT KNOWS

I always (well, almost always) enjoy what the Eagle brings us. This one I like a lot!!    ;)

With regard to insurance, it's somewhat of a moot point until we gather enough members to make it feasible. But if we had 10,000 members and 8,000 of them wanted to pool together for insurance, I think we could (and probably would) find a way to facilitate it for those who want to buy it. But those who didn't need (or want) it, wouldn't have to pay for it. That would be my vote (my one vote) on the Board.

With regard to incorporation, I'd have done it long ago except that I'm worried about what it means to be a "non-profit". From my (admittedly limited) understanding of these things, I think the IRS will grant a non-profit tax-free status IF you're willing to not be involved in any political activities. I'm not sure where I got that idea, and it might be wrong. But if it isn't wrong, then I don't really like that we would have any such limitations placed on us. Now if we become a corporation that's not "non-profit" but still don't deal in any money, then we shouldn't owe any taxes. But we still might have a lot of paperwork to deal with. That's not too appealing to me either.

On the other hand, we will need some way to protect our members and Board Members from any potential liability. That will probably be the final determining factor. If any of our Board Members really feel that this is important, then I'd be inclined to support them in a vote. But I'm hoping the ones that need it most would help with the effort to incorporate.

Disclaimer: The previous comments are off the top of my head at 10:15pm. My vote could change with the light of day ... and some good counter arguments.    :lol:
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:41 am

Bob K quote:
I think the IRS will grant a non-profit tax-free status IF you're willing to not be involved in any political activities.

I seem to remember Lois Lerner on the hot seat for directing the IRS to drag feet when it came time to approve tax exempt status primarily for conservatives (I.E. Tea Party types) with less focus on liberals. (Occupy Wall Street types.)

From this accusation alone I came away with the impression that non profits could be involved in political activity. :shifty: :shh:
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics