Roll up your sleeves, leave your ego at the door...
Forum rules
Speak your mind. Try to be courteous to others.
Don't be too shy to say what you think.
Don't be too proud to say you were wrong.

Dan Poynter as Honorary member of U.S. Hawks

Postby ARP » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:26 am

Bob K :- "Anyone wanting to make additional comments is free to do so. Thanks for a great motion Joe, and thanks to all Board members for 100% participation."

Comments cannot be made on the Board members page. However Dan Poynter's book "Hang Gliding the Basic Handbook of Skysurfing" has been on my bookshelf for 40+ years and is still a great reference book. So I agree with the Board's decision to give Dan honorary status in recognition of his contribution to hang gliding.

Tony
ARP
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Dan Poynter as Honorary member of U.S. Hawks

Postby ARP » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:20 pm

ARP
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:44 am

I hope they don't mind me quoting them ...

Dan Poynter

World-renowned author and skydiver Dan Poynter died on November 3rd, aged 77. In 1972 Dan published The Parachute Manual—A Technical Treatise on the Parachute, a leading early manual on skydiving gear. A keen interest in hang gliding led, in 1975, to Hang Gliding - The Basic Handbook of Skysurfing, at the time the most authorative publication on the history and development of the sport. It sold over 130,000 copies and remains one of his most recognised works.

Publishing for initially niche audiences led to the establishment of Para Publishing with Dan as the sole driving force. This was followed by The Self-Publishing Manual and a later career as a motivational speaker. In 35 years he published more than 120 titles, many that he had written himself; he received numerous awards including the USHGA's Otto Lilienthal Medal and was inducted into the National Skydiving Museum Hall of Fame.

Posted: 5 December 2015

- https://www.bhpa.co.uk/sport/news/index ... &year=2015
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ARP » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:41 am

Bob,

I suspect the text came from another source, but nice to see his work recognised.

Dan's book sits on my book shelf, a bit worn but still relevant.

Tony
ARP
Contributor
Contributor

Forum Statistics