FDGS Celebrates 45 years of Hang Gliding - May 22, 2016

Honoring the rich history and bright future of gliding at Dockweiler Beach

FDGS Celebrates 45 years of Hang Gliding - May 22, 2016

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:59 am

I just got this email message yesterday from Frank Colver, President of the Friends of Dockweiler Gliding Society:

Frank Colver wrote:Hang gliding 45th anniversary meet.

FYI:

A majority of the Board of Directors of the Friends of Dockweiler Gliding Society has voted for Sunday, May 22nd. to have a gathering of hang glider pilots and other enthusiasts, old and new, in celebration of the 168th birthday of Otto Lilienthal and the 45th anniversary of the beginning of the worldwide sport of hang gliding. To be held at the historic hang gliding site at Dockweiler Beach, El Segundo, CA, under the site operation authority of Windsports and sponsored by the Friends of Dockweiler Gliding Society. 10:00 AM to sunset. There is an L.A. County beach parking fee.

Bring your vintage hang glider for display or flight. Modern hang gliders welcome based on space available, vintage HG take priority. There will also be sharing of some gliders (a common practice at Dockweiler). Paragliders are not allowed by county ordinance.

We need to start spreading the word to all we know who might be interested, because the date will come up fast.

Frank Colver, President, FDGS
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Re: FDGS Celebrates 45 years of Hang Gliding - May 22, 2016

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:27 am

I just sent a broadcast message to all US Hawks members about this event.

I encourage everyone to post an announcement to their local club forums and email lists!!
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dagobarbz » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:49 am

I'd like to go to this event. I even have a Rogallo standard left over from 1975 hanging in my garage. I can't bring it on my motorcycle, so if anyone from San Diego is planning on going up with a vehicle with racks, gimme a shout. I'll give you gas money.
dagobarbz
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:48 pm

Hi Barb,

I'll be driving up from San Diego, and you're welcome to ride with me. There may be others going up as well, so keep an eye on this topic as the time gets closer. It would be great to have you there ... and any gliders you can bring are a bonus!
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:06 am

Dagobarbz; who are you really? I sure wish more of the old timers, at least (better if everybody), would use their real names so that I would have some idea of who is posting. I probably know you but I sure don't know anybody named dagobarbz who flew a "standard" back in the day. :?

FC
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:14 pm

Great photos
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/96674559
Photo details
Uploaded on September 22, 2013
© All Rights Reserved
by Dagobarbz

One photo: "Peregrine Falcon Xena on the cliffs above Torrey Pines State Beach."

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:36 am

fcolver wrote:Dagobarbz; who are you really?

Maybe she doesn't want to spoil the surprise.     ;)

With regard to real names, the US Hawks Board has kicked the idea around some, but I don't think there's been a unified concensus yet. However, individual clubs like FDGS can establish their own rules for their forums if they want. Enforcement may be a tricky issue in some cases.

Maybe that would be one of many topics at the Otto reunion ... which may also serve as the annual meeting for the FDGS?
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:36 pm

BobK, you posted a welcome to "Barb" while the avatar does not really reduce to that.
And a pronoun just used was"she" while Internet research over the avatar would strongly
have me guessing at "he" as more on target. The avatar holder comments on many Internet places
and might not want real name presented. The ideas from a pseudonym person could positively
bless the world. It is, perhaps, when damage is being meted out under a pseudonym that
one might want to have real names reached; real names would be needed for actions in court, I assume.
But if an inventor published a great blessing for hang gliders, his or her real name would not be essential
for the blessing to be effective over others' lives.

Maybe require real names only when hurt is being published unfairly on the pages; however unfair hurt could be reason
simply to delete the permissions. Controversy is not the same as unfair hurting. I would aim to see perspectives
regardless of the name behind a text. Positive attribution is stunted by pseudonyms, as the real person behind
a pseudonym could change to several real persons at different times and places. Another dimension: who is going to check
if a real name is really real?

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wingspan33 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:38 pm

We have wandered into an interesting topic. Who is "dagobarbz"?

Personally, I think the "dago" part is simply misspelled. It should be Dayglow! Meaning, very bright and easily noticeable.

Now I think "barbz" is indicative of this person's occupation as a (fairly hip) barber. "Yo, Barbz! How you doin'."

Hence we arrive at - A bright, easily noticed yet also cool barber. :thumbup:

Then again, . . . :? . . . there's a chance this member is actually an Italian porcupine! :shock:
wingspan33
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dagobarbz » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:19 pm

bobk wrote:Hi Barb,

I'll be driving up from San Diego, and you're welcome to ride with me. There may be others going up as well, so keep an eye on this topic as the time gets closer. It would be great to have you there ... and any gliders you can bring are a bonus!

I can ride my bike up if you're full up. But my kite will need a ride!
dagobarbz
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Friends of Dockweiler Gliding Society