RGSA Web Site: http://rgsa.info  

Guads President's Day W/E

Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum

Re: Guads President's Day W/E

Postby Bill Cummings » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:34 pm

I hope we have warm weather and nice wind at the Guads. Fri Feb. 12 to Mon Feb. 15 2016 :thumbup:
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:41 am

I'm hoping for good weather that weekend, as well. I'd sure like to make it there again!
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby macofromoc » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:15 am

what's all this talk of warm weather.. that's not the Guads I wanna go to. It's gonna be windy, cold, and great flying weather!!! I'm looking to head down Friday morning to get some afternoon flying. Last year it was biwingal most of the day. Sharks and Jellyfish flying till you got bored or hungry. See everybody down there.
greg clark

505 249-7450
macofromoc
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:46 pm

macofromoc wrote:what's all this talk of warm weather.. that's not the Guads I wanna go to. It's gonna be windy, cold, and great flying weather!!! I'm looking to head down Friday morning to get some afternoon flying. Last year it was biwingal most of the day. Sharks and Jellyfish flying till you got bored or hungry. See everybody down there.
greg clark

505 249-7450

:srofl: :srofl: :srofl:
Why is it that a beautiful day is not usually any good for flying? :lol:
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JanZ » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:34 pm

Does it make sense to bring the Winch? Never been there and don't know if there are any good tow roads.
I'm going to be there from Sunday morning till Monday night.
If anybody needs a ride there, let me know.
-Jan
JanZ
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:45 am

Jan,
The LZ has a good tow road. Miles of it. It would be crosswind if the ridge soaring is good.
Then there are light wind days for sled ride launches, from the rim, that have no wind showing at the bottom.
I have done 90 degree angle pulley towing on days that the wind is cross to the road. (At other sites.)
I still have a two foot pipe stake that I can pound into the ground half way and then slip the next size larger pipe over that as the pulley.
It mostly is used for crosswind static towing on days the wind is normally, habitually, constantly, always, not down the darn tow road.
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:52 pm

Jan, it'll be great to see you there! I'm planning on being out there, too, unless the weather is just outrageous (like today). I hope you can make our RGSA club meeting this Saturday evening, too, out here in Las Cruces. See you soon!
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:53 pm

Weather Update: It's a long range forecast, but so far, so good for the Guadalupes next weekend (Feb. 12-15). We should see temperatures in the 60's, clear skies, and winds out of the west, not too strong. No precipitation, either. I'll keep everyone apprised, but at this point, it's looking good and I'm planning to be there!
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Nate » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:10 pm

I'm blessed with a flexible schedule and nice season in life so barring any drastic changes in WX, I plan on being there!

Currently planning on showing up Thursday with enough time to fly. From what it sounds like, folks will be there by then from ABQ and Midland.

Now it is time to sort out flying gear and camping gear!

Nate

:wave:

Regarding the winch - some Dallas pilots brought one in 2013 and never used it due to reasons Bill mentioned plus there was too danged much flying to be had without it! Also, though the Guads have a rep for blasting winds and blowouts (with good reason), when I was there in 2013, I dare say the paragliders scored more airtime than the HGs.
Nate
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:30 am

Looking at the long-term forecast, it looks pretty good for the Guadalupes next weekend. Skies should be clear, temperatures should be warm (highs in the 60's and 70's) and winds should be pretty strong. You'll want to be ready to fly early in the day. I think we'll have a good time. See you all there!
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Rio Grande Soaring Association