Personal Journals about Hang Gliding

Re: Other dangerous sports news

Postby Frank Colver » Fri May 12, 2017 11:10 am

Today, May 12, is my wife's 78th birthday. Thank God she doesn't fly a paraglider.

I'm glad I fly a hang glider.

Frank Colver
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Fri May 12, 2017 10:24 pm

Frank Colver wrote:Today, May 12, is my wife's 78th birthday. Thank God she doesn't fly a paraglider.

I'm glad I fly a hang glider.

Frank Colver

(cradle robber.)
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Tue May 16, 2017 4:16 pm

BASE-jumping

"You do extreme sports? Oh My God!! What do you do?
"Uh... I fly hang gliders..."
Hang gliders? Oh My God!! Does it hurt?"     :o
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Tue May 23, 2017 4:48 am

Paragliding
Thousands without power as paraglider crashes into lines
https://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/hang-glider-crash-emergency-reports/3179314/
Noosa Fire station officer Kyle Dellit said the power outage occurred after the man landed in the powerlines.
"The kite tangled the lines together after he'd got out and that caused the short," he said.
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Tue May 23, 2017 9:20 am

Paragliding    May 22, 2017
PG fatality #1560
"...lost control, began to fall rapidly."

Gee, I wonder what happened?
How do you do that piloting a hang glider?
Plastic explosives?
Is it obvious yet? No?
From now on, helpless falling humans who die in collapses of soaring parachutes will get a Darwin Award.*

*The Darwin Awards are a tongue-in-cheek honor, originating in Usenet newsgroup discussions around 1985. They recognize individuals who have supposedly contributed to human evolution by selecting themselves out of the gene pool via death or sterilization by their own actions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_Awards
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Tue May 23, 2017 10:54 am

Paragliding    May 22, 2017
PG fatality #1561
"...the right part collapsed."
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Tue May 23, 2017 9:21 pm

Paragliding    May 5, 2017
Man severely injured in paragliding accident
http://www.sdnews.com/view/full_story/27410551/article-Man-severely-injured-in-paragliding-accident?instance=sdnews
On Sunday, April 30, Orange County resident Tyler Langenfeld suffered a devastating paragliding accident. Lagenfeld was learning to paraglide out of a teaching facility in Torrey Pines.

He was paragliding in an area near Palomar Mountain in San Diego county when he had a sudden loss of air in his kite and fell more than 30 feet, crashing to the ground. Langenfeld was unable to prepare for the fall and correct the failure because he was too close to the ground to make the necessary adjustment, so when he hit the ground, he sustained multiple, severe injuries including multiple fractures in his right leg, left ankle and foot and most of the vertebrae in his spine including his tail bone.

The instructor contacted emergency services and they airlifted Tyler to Palomar Medical Center in Escondido, where he is now awaiting the next major surgery.

In an email from his sister, Roberta Annis, she said that Lagenfeld has always been an adventurer and loves being outdoors: camping, hiking, and rock climbing.

She adds that he is currently in tremendous pain, heavily sedated, and fighting for his life. His injuries are serious and the road to recovery is going to be very painful and long (possibly an entire year). The next big hurdle is the 12-hour spine surgery.

After being unemployed, Lagenfeld "was finally happy to start working at a full-time job he really liked, but he was still in the probationary phase of his job when this horrific accident occurred last Sunday," said Annis. "This means he does not have insurance through his new job. Tyler does have some coverage through the ACA but it is quite limited, and considering the neurosurgeon said it is unlikely Tyler will be able to work again, he has no other options for medical coverage. In addition, Tyler’s wife, Arleen, works two part-time jobs which offer no health insurance."

The family is reaching out for donations, and any and all donations received will go towards medical expenses and other necessary living expenses.

In order to aide in these expenses, the family has created a GoFundMe account.

To donate, visit http://www.gofundme.com/bbm98-support-for-tyler

------------
I bet the Torrey Pines Instructor didn't mention this:
Universal Paraglider Design Flaw
http://ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2586&hilit=updf&sid=60d6367b162b35a6bf3b44074532f527&sid=60d6367b162b35a6bf3b44074532f527#p18746
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Sun May 28, 2017 10:31 am

Paragliding    May 28, 2017
ImageImage
PG fatality #1564
Collapse while doing aerobatics at 20 meters.
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Sun May 28, 2017 9:02 pm

That guy should be the poster boy for the Darwin awards. 20 meters! :shock: :crazy:
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Sun May 28, 2017 9:21 pm

The idea that if something goes wrong you need to be high enough for your reserve parachute to open
has proven way too complicated for an awful lot of soaring parachutists.

Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics