The time is right Buy this airport in Texas

Forum for SW Texas Hang Gliders Club - Southwest Texas

The time is right Buy this airport in Texas

Postby SamKellner » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:08 am

http://davisstraub.com/OZ/21.190.2

This above link is about the three HG pilots that bought Sheets Field in Groveland, Fl., home of Quest Air,
to secure the future of our sport. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Quest is the most well known HG flight park. Yes they aerotow. There are no mountains in that part of the world :) They put a lot of focus on getting new pilots in the sport and also advancing the skills of intermediate flyers. :salute: :salute:

They don't do paragliding. ;) :shifty:

I had the pleasure of flying there a few years back. Moreover, each year, '02 - '09, of the Texas Open Fly-In, here in Leakey, (lay'-key), the Quest Air Crew provided our towing here in Texas. Also I have worked with these guys when they are in Zapata, Tx. and Big Spring, Tx. Their opinions are highly respected.

I think this approach of pilot ownership is in line with the U S Hawks efforts to loosen the u$hPa monopoly.

The airport here in Leakey is for sale too, 110ac. World record flights are conducted overhead. I'd hate to see the hangar turned into a hay barn. At 1,600' msl. and 250mi. from the Gulf, we only got 1" of rain from Hurricane Harvey.

Please pass the word to save 49R as a FAR 103 friendly site.
Southwest Texas Hang Gliders
US Hawks Hang Gliding Assn.
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

Re: The time is right Buy this airport in Texas

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:35 am

SamKellner wrote:I think this approach of pilot ownership is in line with the U S Hawks efforts to loosen the u$hPa monopoly.

I think you're right. Thanks for posting it here. But since we're so small, be sure to post it on the "big box" sites as well. ;)

SamKellner wrote: The airport here in Leakey is for sale too, 110ac. World record flights are conducted overhead. I'd hate to see the hangar turned into a hay barn. At 1,600' msl. and 250mi. from the Gulf, we only got 1" of rain from Hurricane Harvey.

Please pass the word to save 49R as a FAR 103 friendly site.

Do you know the price range they're asking?
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SamKellner » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:17 am

sotheby's real estate has it. $2.5M I think.
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:20 pm

For the same money you could get this pad on 40 acres for $1,000,000, 10 minutes from 49R
http://www.landwatch.com/Real-County-Texas-Farms-and-Ranches-for-sale/pid/25067205
and this extremely serious D10 bulldozer for $340,000
and have $1,160,000 to build a soaring ridge and a landing strip or winch strip.
When you're done, you sell the D10 for $250,000 for ten years of property taxes and all the beer you can drink in that clubhouse.
And what a clubhouse it is!
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SamKellner » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:26 pm

Buy and Fly?

or

Buy and build a sewing club?
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:06 am

In the past did 49R ever receive any City, County, State, or Federal tax money or grants? (Did the county grader vehicle ever show up)?
This could become a deal breaker for any transfer of title. Some hoops to jump through may be in place and having knowledge of such could become a double edged sword depending on who is holding onto the hilt swinging and in which direction. :shh:
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SamKellner » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:06 pm

There is no problem with that. The County and TxDOT will retain the easements: entry road, tarmac, and runway 15/33. And they will continue to be responsible for maint. on those easements.

The hangars are on private property that is for sale. One of which I have rented for the next 5yr.

There is not even enough space in the easements for fuel farm or pilot lounge. That's why we don't have either after all these years.

Check out 49R at http://www.airnav.com or http://www.fltplan.com The FAA info will confirm. Privately owned.

I have been building an earthen bunny ridge for two yrs. in the adjacent fields where we hunt artifacts. Also included in the private property that is for sale.
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:40 pm

tax money or grants?

Magentabluesky has some knowledge on these issues.
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:52 pm

SamKellner wrote:I have been building an earthen bunny ridge for two yrs. in the adjacent fields where we hunt artifacts. Also included in the private property that is for sale.

Is that the bunny ridge where I made my first Texas flights?

That airport is an awesome resource for your club. Please let me know if there's anything the US Hawks can do to help. I'd be happy to send a broadcast message to all U.S. Hawks if you like. Just let me know...
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SamKellner » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:49 am

Bob Kuczewski wrote:Is that the bunny ridge where I made my first Texas flights?...

Hi BobK, The one I'm building is already taller, and in walking distance of the hangar... and IS part of the land for sale.

That was a flight indeed :D at Lewis Airfield, ~3mi NW of 49R and the property for sale.

We had one FL flight off Mt. Buz at this year's Fly Texas More! event. David DuPre carried his Falcon up the trail alone. :salute: the trail is about like a hike up from the beach at Torrey. He gained 1000' over launch. Could have easily glided to the airport but chose to land near his car in the LZ/bailout. Of all the towing we did, guys climbing off 500' scooter tows to 10K and all that, I would award David the event's blue ribbon for his FL flight. :clap: :clap:

Mt.Buz foot launch is not part of the property for sale. :( I do anticipate continued use but that might change. That's why we also learn to TOW.

Grants: TxDOT extended the north end of the runway, 25yr ago. They also re-topped the tarmac and rwy 15/33, ~15yrs ago. I have a record of the grants.

49R is unique in that it is privately owned with public easements/ROW. Just like if you had a county road running through your ranch. Real Co./TxDOT maintains the easement but can't tell you how to run your ranch. :idea:

I am working with the Sotheby's agent on small projects here at the airport to "attract buyers" Being a area native, I know the history of this place. I have
their contact info.

All help Welcome.

One thing for sure, if I bought it, I'd need several grant$. :D

:wave:
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

Return to SW Texas Hang Gliders Forum