Sign in, say "hi", ... and be welcomed.

Re: Safe-Splat

Postby Rick Masters » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:22 pm

From that link:

I had many wonderful adventures with my Aolus learning cross country in Owens Valley in 1981. It was the second prototype. Carlos Miralles taught me to fly it off Cuesta Ridge in San Luis Obispo, California, and sold it to me for $500. After many hours, I took it to John Reisig at Spectra Aircraft who sleeved its already massive frame it and smoothed out the leading edges. It was a superb thermalling machine. In a strong, smooth core, you could push out past stall and flat-spin at 2000 fps. Unique and unbelievable. With that reflexed tail, it gave you a very secure feeling that it would recover from going over the falls in violent thermals. And fast landings in high-altitude-density air were helped by that bowsprit. When it dropped, you'd fly through the bars and hit the sail (no keel). My buddies who flew their Aoli in Owens Valley were Carlos, Bob Dunn and Mark Hanley. But the thing that made the Aolus such a great thermalling machine, that huge tail, may have kept it from attaining the best l/d between thermals. After I'd moved on to Comet-clones, I loaned it to Bill Dodson around 1985 and he made its last flight from Horseshoe.
-- Rick Masters, May 30, 2010
Gunter #3 8200' White Mountain Range Owens Valley, Ca
Spectra Aolus 170 proto #2 Other pilots Mark Hanley, Don Partridge
Date Aug 30, 1981 Launch time 13:50 Landing 16:20
Duration 2 hr 30 min Distance 32 mi Nevada line
Wind T.O. Sw 10 mph Wind Land N 10 mph Temp 80 deg / 75 deg
Clouds Clear
Quality No wind at altitude.
I flew to the Nevada line. It was my best distance flight. I was the last man off Gunter after Mark Hanley sank out and landed at Don's Ranch. I followed, sank down to the side of Katie's Tit, working close for lift. I caught a gentle thermal and I could hear Mark yelling, just a few hundred feet below, when I started climbing. Don Partridge was under me but he left for the "Scareport." I rode the first thermal above the main spine of the Whites, turned north and did the Aolus Boogie. A second thermal took me over White Mountain Peak at 14,000'+. I ran the Pellisier Flats north but sank out in front of Boundary Peak in a light north wind. I just made it crabbing to the state line on Hwy 6. Perfect landing.

Unofficially, that broke the world altitude gain record, but a lot of us were doing that on a regular basis.
Some, like Chris Arai, were reaching the middle 20s in those final months before the FAA altitude restrictions went into effect.
One of my fondest memories was flat-spinning that wonderful bowsprit through the center of a gaggle of sailplanes at 2000+ fps.
I killed them. It was unbelievable. At first, I was looking up at them - then I was looking down on them like little bugs.
"Gee," they don't turn very tight, do they?" I thought.
They didn't stand a chance against that wing in a thermal core.

Yeah, you needed to use adverse yaw technique with the Aolus for the best performance in a thermal.
I'd slow that thing down and twist my body parallel with the wing and load up the outside wing with weight shift, then return to center and push out a bit as it began to turn.
It would hold a turn wonderfully in a core.
Last edited by Rick Masters on Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:17 pm

At that site, Rick caught his own typo:
"Rick Masters
25/11/2010
Of course, the Aolus had a keel. I meant to type "no crossbar." "

========================
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Red » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:17 pm

JoeF,

That's the one. Thanks.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Free advice, maybe worth the price,
for new and low-airtime HG pilots, on my web page . . .

https://user.xmission.com/~red/
Red
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:08 pm

skioverwheel.JPG
skioverwheel.JPG (9.06 KiB) Viewed 6410 times

Mod of ski over wheel
when appropriate ...

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:22 am

I like skids but...
         :srofl:
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:35 pm

Check it out - airbags for your hips that inflate instantly, when a fall is starting to happen. This company says they also make them for sports including flying. Maybe they could make some kind of airbag for HG / PG? :idea:

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2018/01/1 ... -hips.html

Frank C
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby reluctantsparrow » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:41 pm

Finally back in the Saddle after a major shoulder surgery....Just made a new video (now that I can fly again)...
Basically it is Sunny Jim (Reluctant Sparrow) spilling his guts....kinda messy....but lots of good flying footage of "roll in landings".
I actually had a major manufacture see my videos and email me personally telling me that "roll in landings" are dangerous and that hang Gliders should be landed only on their "feets"...(his grammer, not mine)....
Out of respect for this manufacture I am going to keep the name private....hoping that after he see's my vid he might change his mind......
I mean, Rick has his good reasons for not flying with base tube protection and I respect that...but...a major manufacture that does not see the value in safe splat products?....wow....I was blown away. Anyway...here the video...if I can remember how to post...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npBn50X ... e=youtu.be

nope....I have totally forgot how to post a vid....HELP!
reluctantsparrow
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:00 pm

Joining Frank Colver's upshowing of Irv Culver's drawings.
Frank notes: "Then for "safe splat"; skids on the nose and control bar."
See the drawing in the discussion here: http://www.ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2893&p=22090

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ARP » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:39 am

Hi Jim,

Watched your latest video and it all seems to be coming together nicely. I have used skids on the base bar in the past and they worked ok. Your double set of wheels also look effective at least on relatively smooth terrain. Have you put a pitch limiter on the rear of the bungee support to prevent the nose dropping too far? This would lock the pivoting of the assembly preventing a nose over. Hopefully it will encourage more people to take up the sport and be a commercial success for you.

Tony
ARP
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:53 pm

reluctantsparrow wrote:Finally back in the Saddle after a major shoulder surgery....

Anyway...here the video...if I can remember how to post...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npBn50X ... e=youtu.be

nope....I have totally forgot how to post a vid....HELP!

Good to see you back in the saddle Jim!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Here's how to post a YouTube video: [youtube]npBn50XRphA[/youtube]

reluctantsparrow wrote:I actually had a major manufacture see my videos and email me personally telling me that "roll in landings" are dangerous and that hang Gliders should be landed only on their "feets"...(his grammer, not mine)....

There are those who say the opposite (see http://kitestrings.org).

I believe that different people have the right to prefer different techniques depending on what they think is safest for them given the landing field, their own physical condition, and their own skills.
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics